Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
New 3G Airave issues

OK, so this thread is just for issues with the airave itself, not with how your setting it up. Feel free to post "known" issues, and if Sprint was able to resolve them.

My issues so far:

1 ) Unable to call long distance to the 740 area code. Each attempt (while connected to the airave) would get me a recorded message of either:

"the number or PIN you entered is incorrect. Please check the number and try again"

Or, more common,

"your call can not be completed at this time, please try again later"

Sprint issued a trouble ticket and corrected the issue a couple days later, making it so my calls would work. This was an airave issue, as the "regular" sprint network could complete the calls no problem.

2 ) Airave is unable to "hand off" the calls to the cell tower. The airave offers great coverage, far more so than what I would have ever expected on my street. If I start a call by my house though, it connects to the airave and will drop as opposed to handing off to the cell site.

Airave support thinks that its an "Airvana" issue and that they may have to update firmware to correct. I wonder if the fact that I can not put my zip code into the device on sprint.com is making it unable to figure out what cell sites to attempt to hand to. Airave support indicates that they will send the issue up to have it looked at, but believes it will have to be corrected by the manufacturer. This was never an issue with the "Samsung" version, but it also had a zip code registered to it online.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
mysticaldreams
Telephone User

Mood: Ninja
Phone: Epic 4G
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 3,316
Send a message via MSN to mysticaldreams
Angry No voice service available

Well at least you can receive and send calls. While i am in range of the Airave, my voice service is completely blocked while my data speeds are exceptional. I have been in contact with Airave Tech support and have tired a number of test, resets, and '*99' attempts with no luck. I was told that by making changes to my airave through my Sprint account affected it some how. Tech support and a follow-up chat with my local Corporate store reaffirmed that this is a wide spread problem. It seems that the back end software to adjust the airave through your account isn't working correctly.

I would be really upset if this thing was not free. How does Sprint sell a product that's not ready for consumers. I guess i will just keep it unplug until the bugs are worked out...
Old 08-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Dan
Forever my Angel

Hopefully when better controls are established these issues will end....
Old 08-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
bretski
Telegraph User

SU$: 171
SMS timestamp problem

I don't mean to make this a cross-post...but this looks like an appropriate thread.

There is a known issue that myself, and others are experiencing where devices connected to the Airave have incorrectly timestamped SMS messages. All incoming messages are stamped with Eastern time, regardless of local timezone settings.

I have an open support ticket, and the tech I spoke with asked that anyone else who is experiencing this problem please call in and open a ticket as well.
bretski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
zefie
Telegraph User

Mood: Bored
Phone: LX600
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 1,202
Send a message via AIM to zefie Send a message via MSN to zefie Send a message via Yahoo to zefie
Number one must be a localized issue. I am connected to my Airvana and just called two Ohio numbers.

Belmont Technical College
120 Fox-Shannon Place
Saint Clairsville, OH 43950
(740) 695-9500

Central Ohio Technical College
1179 University Dr
Newark, OH 43055-1767
(740) 366-1351

740-695-9500 resulted in the error you described.
740-366-1351 worked fine.

Edit: Upon a second attempt, both numbers worked fine.

Also keep in mind that not only is the Airvana a new device, but it is a ADSL2+ Modem hacked to do stuff it wasn't originally designed to do. All of the hardware is designed for ADSL2+.

And Airvana will be busy getting a GPL source code bundle ready for me, (or the Free Software Foundation) since it is running Linux.

Last edited by zefie; 08-29-2010 at 07:53 PM.
zefie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefie View Post
Number one must be a localized issue. I am connected to my Airvana and just called two Ohio numbers.

Belmont Technical College
120 Fox-Shannon Place
Saint Clairsville, OH 43950
(740) 695-9500

Central Ohio Technical College
1179 University Dr
Newark, OH 43055-1767
(740) 366-1351

740-695-9500 resulted in the error you described.
740-366-1351 worked fine.

Edit: Upon a second attempt, both numbers worked fine.

Also keep in mind that not only is the Airvana a new device, but it is a ADSL2+ Modem hacked to do stuff it wasn't originally designed to do. All of the hardware is designed for ADSL2+.

And Airvana will be busy getting a GPL source code bundle ready for me, (or the Free Software Foundation) since it is running Linux.
The issue was corrected for me, and I had no issue with placing those calls since Wednesday. It's quite possible their was some issue that was corrected and benefited many people. It may not have been simply one area code either, but more of a general issue with dialing another area.

Funny you picked a college located just a couple miles from my one Aunts house
Old 08-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
adamlee2001GXE
S|P Gold

Mood: Breezy
Phone: HTC EVO 3D
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 4,217
Wirelessly posted (Palm Centro: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
OK, so this thread is just for issues with the airave itself, not with how your setting it up. Feel free to post "known" issues, and if Sprint was able to resolve them.

My issues so far:

1 ) Unable to call long distance to the 740 area code. Each attempt (while connected to the airave) would get me a recorded message of either:

"the number or PIN you entered is incorrect. Please check the number and try again"

Or, more common,

"your call can not be completed at this time, please try again later"

Sprint issued a trouble ticket and corrected the issue a couple days later, making it so my calls would work. This was an airave issue, as the "regular" sprint network could complete the calls no problem.

2 ) Airave is unable to "hand off" the calls to the cell tower. The airave offers great coverage, far more so than what I would have ever expected on my street. If I start a call by my house though, it connects to the airave and will drop as opposed to handing off to the cell site.

Airave support thinks that its an "Airvana" issue and that they may have to update firmware to correct. I wonder if the fact that I can not put my zip code into the device on sprint.com is making it unable to figure out what cell sites to attempt to hand to. Airave support indicates that they will send the issue up to have it looked at, but believes it will have to be corrected by the manufacturer. This was never an issue with the "Samsung" version, but it also had a zip code registered to it online.
#2 we have never been able to get a soft handoff. I don't expect the airvana to be able to now do this.
Everything Data Family 1500 (1000 ADDITIONAL shared bonus minutes)/ FREE AIRAVE & SERVICE/ Free Pick 3/ UL Incoming/ 5PM Nights/ (Confirmed with Sprint all attachables never expire) / 23% NVP/ Customer since 1999

No more Airave needed. Now I'm with ATT. Nuff said.
adamlee2001GXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
theproto
Telegraph User

SU$: 483
Airave to tower "handoff" worked "fine" with the Samsung unit (maybe not in all areas as users had reported issues but the functionality was there and working). They state that it is to work as expected in the Airvana as well. This will likely be fixed.
theproto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #9
larry
Digital PCS User

Phone: LG G4
SU$: 8,291
Send a message via Yahoo to larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlee2001GXE View Post
#2 we have never been able to get a soft handoff. I don't expect the airvana to be able to now do this.
Any handoff from the Airave to the regular network is a hard handoff and can work under good conditions.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
zefie
Telegraph User

Mood: Bored
Phone: LX600
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 1,202
Send a message via AIM to zefie Send a message via MSN to zefie Send a message via Yahoo to zefie
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlee2001GXE View Post
Wirelessly posted (Palm Centro: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

According to Airvana's documents the new unit supports both handoff to tower and handon to Airvana. It is up to Sprint to configure it properly.
zefie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
wase4711
Telephone User

SU$: 1,155
I can get a HANDON every time, when on a call in my car, and then coming into the house..I NEVER get a HANDOFF, when on a call in the house and leave in the car..

Other than that , and the online software "bug", everything else seems to work very nicely right now..
wase4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
jdurand
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 25
Coverage Issues

Has anybody called Sprint Airave Support and gotten somebody to increase the range on the new Airvana Airave Access Points?

I just switched to the new Airave and noticed that my coverage wasn't as good. Previously Sprint had increased the range on my old Airave. I called Airave support to have them do something similar and got two different answers. The first was that I could log into my sprint.com account and increase the range and if that wasn't enough I could open a CTMS ticket and have it boosted further. I tried the account option, found the setting, but I get an error that it wouldn't save. We called back Airave support and they said that it's not an option to in any way increase the range of the Airave. They also said that the 5,000 sq ft is false advertising and they only expect it to cover less then 2,000 sq ft. They said that it's on purpose as to not overlap with neighbors. I live in the country, so neighbors aren't a problem and my house is 5,000 sq ft. They also said that they can not provide a second Airave. So the end result is that I have to locate my Airave in such a way to cover the 2/5th's of my house that I use most.
jdurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
mysticaldreams
Telephone User

Mood: Ninja
Phone: Epic 4G
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 3,316
Send a message via MSN to mysticaldreams
Wirelessly posted (paviliona1250n: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

I know how you fell about poor coverage with the airvana model. But as of this moment i am glad it only covers one or two rooms in my house. As of this posting i have been unable to receive and send calls using my airvana. The device has actually compromised my coverage in my home further. I made the mistake of using the online configuration options under my Sprint account and some way restrive use of voice service through the Airvana device. The odd thing is that data works great and text messging.

I have been working Tech support for about a week and a half now to resolve the problem. Most solutions are to too unplug, reset, wait five minutes. Last night i just gave up and unplug the thing for good until Sprint works out everything on the backend.

If anyone else has experinced a similiar problem please chime in.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #14
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaldreams View Post
Wirelessly posted (paviliona1250n: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

I know how you fell about poor coverage with the airvana model. But as of this moment i am glad it only covers one or two rooms in my house. As of this posting i have been unable to receive and send calls using my airvana. The device has actually compromised my coverage in my home further. I made the mistake of using the online configuration options under my Sprint account and some way restrive use of voice service through the Airvana device. The odd thing is that data works great and text messging.

I have been working Tech support for about a week and a half now to resolve the problem. Most solutions are to too unplug, reset, wait five minutes. Last night i just gave up and unplug the thing for good until Sprint works out everything on the backend.

If anyone else has experinced a similiar problem please chime in.
It sounds like airave tech support needs to get a trouble ticket started for you and get the device and your settings looked at far more closely. Obviously if the Airave is letting you text and use data on it then the voice issues seem to be device or account settings related.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #15
fastzipperus
The Resistance

SU$: 1,780
Has anyone using a Touch Pro 2 connected with the new Airave been able to have the weather based on your current location (not preset locations) load?

Tags
3g airave, airave drop voip qos, cell handoff, issues

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: