Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 08-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
ssfblue
Two Cans & String User

Phone: EVO 4G (2.2)
SU$: 132
I have a new microSD card... how to transfer data?

Hi all, haven't been online here in awhile but am glad to be back with Sprint!

I finally got around to buying a larger microSD card for my EVO; however, I am wondering if I am going to lose the data that is already on my stock 8gb card? Is there a way for me to transfer info from one card to another without losing any current functionality in the phone?

Thanks!!
ssfblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
slipe
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 53
The best way would be to put the old card in the adapter that probably came with the new card and put it in your card reader. Copy the card to an empty folder on your computer. Open the folder and Edit > Select All. Right click on one of the highlighted files and "Copy". Put the new card in the reader. Right click it and select "Paste".

You could also hook the phone up to the computer with the cable and mount as a drive. Copy the old files to the computer. Put the new card in and paste them back to the new card. I haven't put a different card in the phone but I would guess the phone makes all the new folders. Replace might work but I would just delete everything before pasting. Maybe someone who has done it can clarify that.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slipe For This Useful Post:
revee (12-14-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Jake

Phone: Droid RAZR
Trades: 14
SU$: 31,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe View Post
The best way would be to put the old card in the adapter that probably came with the new card and put it in your card reader. Copy the card to an empty folder on your computer. Open the folder and Edit > Select All. Right click on one of the highlighted files and "Copy". Put the new card in the reader. Right click it and select "Paste".

You could also hook the phone up to the computer with the cable and mount as a drive. Copy the old files to the computer. Put the new card in and paste them back to the new card. I haven't put a different card in the phone but I would guess the phone makes all the new folders. Replace might work but I would just delete everything before pasting. Maybe someone who has done it can clarify that.
You're first suggestion is how I always do it. In fact, I just switched from my stock 8GB card in my Droid 2 to my 16GB card and it worked perfectly, giving me a total of 24GBs of storage.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
ssfblue
Two Cans & String User

Phone: EVO 4G (2.2)
SU$: 132
Great, thanks! I didn't realize that a simple copy and paste would be suffice. I thought that if there was some sort of program on the sdcard that it would have to be formatted in a specific way and what not.

THANKS!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
revee
Telephone User

Phone: HTC EVO
SU$: 1,136
Smile SD Card Transfer Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe View Post
I got a 16GB micro SD card in the mail today. I followed your instructions to the letter and was able to transfer everything from the old card to the new card with no problem. It only took a few minutes. The hardest part was getting that little tiny card out and the other in. They are sooo small. I was afraid I would break it. Thanks again!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: