Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Ripper415
Telegraph User

Phone: Samsung M520
SU$: 515
what's the best non 4G android phone???

I'm eligible for a $150 phone upgrade and was all set on getting a BB 8530 this week but I then found out that SERO users would soon be able to get android phones for $10 more a month. I gotta say I've heard great things about android and would have no problem waiting an extra few weeks if I could have one. I've started researching current sprint android phones and the only 3 that are non 4G (I'm not paying an extra $10/month on top of the $10/month extra android price just for 4G, which isnt even available where I live) are the HTC Hero, Samsung Moment, and Samsung Intercept. I've read a bunch of reviews on these phones and wanted your guys' opinions on the pros and cons of each.

From what I've gathered, the hero is the best so far (but people have been having problems after upgrading from 1.5 to 2.1), then the moment (which has lots of bugs, lag, and other issues), and finally the intercept (which was supposed to be an "upgrade" to fix the problems of the moment but is actually inferior in many aspects).

So is my order of #1 Hero, #2 Moment, #3 Intercept correct?
Ripper415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
boomhower
Digital PCS User

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: 4S ordered
Trades: 5
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 31,956
IMHO the Intercept is the best option with the Hero closely behind.

Don't hold your breath on SERO getting Android. Last I saw that was for 3rd party employee accounts, not SERO.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
GregCT2010
Telegraph User

Phone: EVO, Photon
SU$: 840
GO Hero!!

I'm not familiar with the other two, other than testing in store before I got the Hero, but I'd have to say go with the Hero. I had good luck with it running stock, Fresh and DamageControl Roms and now that I upgraded to EVO, the 'other half' has been running the Hero with no issues. I'd say that the EVO is worth giving up the SERO for and going with a 'real' plan, but if you are stone-set in keeping SERO, go with the Hero. I personnally dont like having any moving parts on a phone, just another thing to break, so the sliding keyboard is a fail for me on the Moment... Whatever way you finally decide is up to you, but you wont lose if its Android OS. The only thing i miss about RIM and Blackberry is the BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) and it's ability to IM/SMS any Blackberry anywhere (I've been Sprint for 10+ years, work is on Verizon, so it worked fine cross-provider, even with the BB's on Data-only plans, no working phone number)...
GregCT2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
NutFlush920
Technology Junkie

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: HTC Evo
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 7,313
I'd say Hero then Intercept only because I like HTC's Sense UI on top of the Android system.

On a side note see if you can get a Hero or Intercept on Craigs List outright and save your upgrade for a later time. Hero's around here are going for under $200.

Buy it outright, cancel the TEP insurance and save the $7/mo, use the phone til it dies or breaks then get a new phone with your upgrade. You may find down the road that you will want a 4G phone and I'd hate to see anyone get stuck with old technology for an extended period of time without an out.
Talk/Message/Data Share 1500, free 6 PM Nights & Weekends, 5 lines of service, TEP on all phones, free Airave device and service, free Pick 3 on all lines, Premier White Glove member, corporate discount through employer, and proud owner of 200 shares of Sprint/Nextel Corp stock.

Last edited by NutFlush920; 08-10-2010 at 06:40 PM.
NutFlush920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > what's the best non 4G android phone???

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: