Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #1

SU$: 0
Exclamation Pre and Post OTA update Root Help instructions compilation

Hello,

Seeing the ordeals I have seen some go through im going to post up some basic info and links on how to root your Post-OTA update evo (1.47) Help for thoes who still havent installed the 1.47 OTA update can be found at the bottom of this post :-)

This will only work if you are on system version 1.47 if you are still on 1.36 please see the information near the bottom of this post or update to 1.47 using the stock RUU found HERE

Step 1. Root

The new version still has the same requirements as the previous SimpleRoot 1.47 OTA

Which are:
Ready to go? Download HERE!

Once done run the installer, select complete, yada yada. Upon first run you will notice a message regarding an update found in the bottom status bar.

Run this update and you will be told that Simple Root will be updated on the next start.

Close the program and then find the shortcut on your desktop and right-click and select run as administrator. At this point it should update and be ready to run.

Plug your phone in and make sure USB Debugging mode is selected in Menu>Settings>Applications>Development> check the box for USB Debugging

then pretty simple, click on the big button labled Step 1. Root
Let it do it's work and once done proced to...

Step 2. Flash Recovery.

A popup will appear and you can select Clockwork or Ra as your recovery. For now I would select Clockwork due to issues people had before when it defaulted to flashing RA.

When it tells you to press any key to continue please do so. Don't just close the window.

From here click on the Extras in the top bar and select clean root files. Let it do it's work.

Once done you should have a custom recovery and the engineering hboot. You can check this by powering down your phone and then holding Volume - and press power. This will bring you to the hboot and you should be running version .76 (this means you have NAND unlocked)

Now you can go and flash a custom rom of your choice.

Anytime you flash a rom from a different chef PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wipe/factory rest, wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache from your custom recovery.

I personally do x2 for each one. Also if you plan to jump to Froyo (Android 2.2) you will need to flash a new cellular and wimax radios.

Stock root safe ROM de-odexed can be found HERE Please read the release notes before doing this or asking questions.

Radios can be found HERE at the bottom of the first post.

You need to flash a 2.2 ROM like above first, then reboot into recovery, then flash the radio, when done select reboot, then flash the wimax radio, select reboot again.

Above all be patient especially with the radios, they can take a little bit to flash but let it work.

I take no responsibility if you f this up thanks to jiqqman, netarchy, SteelH, and anyone else from xda who have made this possible.

----- if you havent installed the 1.47 update below this line is for you -----

For people that are pre-OTA (still on a firmware BEFORE 1.47) I would recommend http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=706411

Or better yet, if you aren't scared of a command prompt then Toasts method for pre-OTA also works great.

How to Root (toastcfh) Part 1
Unlock NAND (toastchf) Part 2

you must do both parts to have full root and nand (system write) access

Last edited by BrettW; 08-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
doc_honda (08-02-2010), pad191 (07-27-2010), PSkinny121 (08-12-2010), SingSongBird (11-24-2010)
Old 07-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
pad191
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 3,106
See, you weren't too lazy .

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1157

This thread has step by step instructions, I haven't tried them myself yet, but they seem like they should work.

Also, you should add a little caveat for 2 scenarios: 1) Pre-OTA rooted with unrevoked1 or 2) PostOTA rooted with unrevoked3.

According to that thread, if you did root with unrevoked3, you can just follow SimpleRoot OTA without a problem to get fully rooted and NAND unlocked.
pad191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad191 View Post
See, you weren't too lazy .

This thread has step by step instructions, I haven't tried them myself yet, but they seem like they should work.

Also, you should add a little caveat for 2 scenarios: 1) Pre-OTA rooted with unrevoked1 or 2) PostOTA rooted with unrevoked3.

According to that thread, if you did root with unrevoked3, you can just follow SimpleRoot OTA without a problem to get fully rooted and NAND unlocked.
problem is I cant stand behind the unrevoked product, i have seen too many issues come from them the only one i liked was the pre-ota 1 button basic root they had (v1?) dont get me wrong i appreciate what they have done for the scene, but they have caused a decent amount of damage too.

plus i have ZERO pre-OTA root experience, before the OTA patch came out i was content with unrevoked i didnt need nand i had autostarts to stop things from running, and wifi tether and was content :-)
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
pad191
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 3,106
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
problem is I cant stand behind the unrevoked product, i have seen too many issues come from them the only one i liked was the pre-ota 1 button basic root they had (v1?) dont get me wrong i appreciate what they have done for the scene, but they have caused a decent amount of damage too.

plus i have ZERO pre-OTA root experience, before the OTA patch came out i was content with unrevoked i didnt need nand i had autostarts to stop things from running, and wifi tether and was content :-)
Valid points. I have done unrevoked3 post-OTA as my first root. So when I get around to doing SimpleRoot + Flashing a custom ROM, I'll post my success or failure.
pad191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad191 View Post
Valid points. I have done unrevoked3 post-OTA as my first root. So when I get around to doing SimpleRoot + Flashing a custom ROM, I'll post my success or failure.
please do and feel free to add it here this is a compilation as it is. Whos to say it has to be a compilation of my own work ill share the spotlight :-)
Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
VdubTX
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Galaxy SIII
SU$: 2,662
Simple Root OTA 1.47.651.1 Edition Instructions

LINK

My advice is to watch the video that is linked in the above thread, LINK.

Don't be discouraged by the 20 minute video, it literally takes you through everything you will do from beginning to end. Then, just follow the instructions included within Simple Root 1.47 and you are on your way to having your EVO Rooted with Nand unlocked and recovery at 0.76.2.

Requirements:
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
HTC Sync
Phone in USB debug mode

When I finally got the courage up to install a custom ROM, it was a lot easier than I thought. Basically you pick the ROM you want to load, you place the ROM's .zip file onto the root of the sd card, and then you boot your phone into recovery(1.power off phone. 2. Hold power and volume down button until it gets to white screen). 1 app that I found that is an extremely easy way to get your phone into Recovery is Quick Boot, LINK. It is available on the Market.

Once in Recovery, you should make a Nandroid backup of your phone, this will get you a complete backup of your phone including settings, apps installed, SMS messages etc. GO to Backup/Restore, then select Nand Backup. The nandroid back up will be copied to your SD card in the Nandroid folder. (Tip: Do not rename the folder immediately within Nandroid folder on the SD card, you can rename the other folders in that folder, but leave the main one in Nandroid alone. I figured this out the hard way).

Once you have a backup of your phone, get back to the main Recovery screen(hold up and down volume buttons together) and go to Wipe, wipe the data/factory settings, Cache and Dalvik Cache. Each is done seperately.

Again go back to main recovery screen by pushing up/down volume together. Now go to Flash zip from sd card. When you are here it should show the ROM you copied to the sd card. Once you select, you confirm and it will start the process. Be patient, it can take 3-5 minutes to flash. It will tell you when it is done, then reboot and enjoy your custom ROM.
VdubTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VdubTX For This Useful Post:
PSkinny121 (08-12-2010), Shauli (08-04-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Noodle
Meh, I'm me.

Mood: Ninja
Phone: Nexus 5x
Trades: 2
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 47,192
Brett I must say I think your instructions are better than my sticky. Can I just add a few links and a bit of my own advice for pre OTA rooting and merge the threads and sticky yours?
Noodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 AM   #8

sure feel free :-) the more instructions the better!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:49 AM   #9
Beer Abuser
Buck extra the worth always is beer good

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: HTC PC36100
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 64,513
Just to add a bit, after uploading pc36img from whitslack via hboot, go back into SD and delete that file after you are running 1.47.

Go back into SD and add su-2.1-e-unsecure-signed.zip from whitslack, boot back into hboot, choose recovery, choose zip file and update, now you rooted and proceed with rom manager.

Nice input everyone

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Beer Abuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Abuser View Post
Just to add a bit, after uploading pc36img from whitslack via hboot, go back into SD and delete that file after you are running 1.47.

Go back into SD and add su-2.1-e-unsecure-signed.zip from whitslack, boot back into hboot, choose recovery, choose zip file and update, now you rooted and proceed with rom manager.

Nice input everyone
or since you already have the SDK installed you can just use the adb reboot recovery command and skip the hboot portion :-)
Old 07-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #11
Beer Abuser
Buck extra the worth always is beer good

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: HTC PC36100
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 64,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
or since you already have the SDK installed you can just use the adb reboot recovery command and skip the hboot portion :-)
There you go .

P.s. On a side note, I just noticed you can hold your phone landscape wise with the home button on your left, I'm assuming this is fresh at work, kind of neat, but I'm already used of pressing back with my right thumb lol.

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Beer Abuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #12

yea thats something flipzmode developed
Old 07-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
Noodle
Meh, I'm me.

Brett, next to your FOUND HERE link and the read instructions carfully you should throw up a link to what pad mentioned earlier

this single post within the simple root OTA thread is immensely helpful to people using simple root.

Also if people are pre-OTA (still on a firmware BEFORE 1.47) I would recommend http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=706411

Or better yet, if you aren't scared of a command prompt then Toasts method for pre-OTA also works great.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
Brett, next to your FOUND HERE link and the read instructions carfully you should throw up a link to what pad mentioned earlier

this single post within the simple root OTA thread is immensely helpful to people using simple root.

Also if people are pre-OTA (still on a firmware BEFORE 1.47) I would recommend http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=706411

added, let me know if you like it.

Last edited by BrettW; 07-28-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #15
Noodle
Meh, I'm me.

Looks good. I'm not sure what anyone else thinks but I think this thread should replace my sticky now.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > HTC > Pre and Post OTA update Root Help instructions compilation

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: