Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
sputterduck
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 53
LED blinking while charging

When I charge my Hero with my car charger, sometimes the LED light will go from solid to blinking. It seems to happen a few minutes after I turn on the GPS navigation. I think it might be that the phone is drawing more power than is being charged, so I'm getting a net loss, but that's just my best guess. Does anyone know for sure?
sputterduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Garcia85
Formerly known as MO3iusone

Phone: Treo650
SU$: 6,922
Could it be that you got some sort of notification? My phones led is orange when its charging, then it blinks if I get a text message..
Garcia85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #3

SU$: 0
if its blinking orange the phone is actually not charging and is actually overheating. try putting it in front of your AC vent for a bit and see if it stops.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
celamantia (07-18-2010)
Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
sputterduck
Two Cans & String User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
if its blinking orange the phone is actually not charging and is actually overheating. try putting it in front of your AC vent for a bit and see if it stops.
oh, that doesn't sound good. What would cause it to overheat?? I'm using an HTC car charger. And I can't tell you what color it's blinking, I'm color-blind. I'll try the AC thing though
Old 07-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #5
SixxT9
Cordless Phone User

Phone: HTC hero
SU$: 3,806
Send a message via AIM to SixxT9
It's probably def over-heating. It flashes green and orange, the only colors our led will display. I have this problem in my car as 1. I have no ac and 2. my phone sits on the armrest so its right over the transmission and it gets pretty hot. Just disconnect it from charging for a bit and hold it out the window or like said infront of ac vent.

As when the phone is overheating your battery is actually not charging even if its plugged in.
SixxT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SixxT9 For This Useful Post:
celamantia (07-18-2010)
Old 07-18-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
dlichterman
Super Moderator

Mood: Sleepy
Phone: 3VO
Trades: 5
My Mood: Sleepy
SU$: 18,688
The phone gets warm when you are using it, data, or GPS. Once you add charging to the mix it can get to the point where the charging circuit stops so that the battery does not overheat and blow up in your face.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #7

SU$: 0
also one more suggestion if your using a hard or soft case, take it out of it when using it in the car under strenuous activity as it does disrupt the phones attempt at cooling because it traps the heat against the battery
Old 07-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #8
zefie
Telegraph User

Mood: Bored
Phone: LX600
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 1,202
Send a message via AIM to zefie Send a message via MSN to zefie Send a message via Yahoo to zefie
my hero never overheated on the car charger and i used it with google maps all the way from arkansas to new york. is the car charger the htc charger or an off brand? perhaps the charger is pushing too many amps into the phone causing it to overheat. my charger was rated 1amp (1000ma) like the home charger
zefie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
jollespm
Telegraph User

Mood: Tired
Phone: HTC Hero
My Mood: Tired
SU$: 598
Like others have said, the battery is overheating and it is not charging. I don't know the exact threshold, but it's above 45C. Last time I saw it the battery was above 50C.

It most often happens to me when I am charging the phone and using it for data, but I have left the phone on the dashboard plugged in not doing anything and it's happened too. I don't have AC in my vehicle, and I have a soft silicone case. It does not have anything to do with the charger.

If you want to check the status of the battery, you can use the HTC battery widget, or go into Spare Parts and view temperature and health. It will say the battery is "overheated" and not charging. You need to let the phone (battery) cool down before it will continue to charge.
jollespm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:42 PM   #10
sputterduck
Two Cans & String User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollespm View Post
Like others have said, the battery is overheating and it is not charging. I don't know the exact threshold, but it's above 45C. Last time I saw it the battery was above 50C.

It most often happens to me when I am charging the phone and using it for data, but I have left the phone on the dashboard plugged in not doing anything and it's happened too. I don't have AC in my vehicle, and I have a soft silicone case. It does not have anything to do with the charger.

If you want to check the status of the battery, you can use the HTC battery widget, or go into Spare Parts and view temperature and health. It will say the battery is "overheated" and not charging. You need to let the phone (battery) cool down before it will continue to charge.
Thanks for the information and helping to clear this up for me. A couple things though, there doesn't seem to be anything on my phone called "Spare Parts", and also, where did you find out that the blinking light during charging means overheating or what the batter temp thresholds were? I'd love to know just to so I can have it for reference.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
dlichterman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputterduck View Post
Thanks for the information and helping to clear this up for me. A couple things though, there doesn't seem to be anything on my phone called "Spare Parts", and also, where did you find out that the blinking light during charging means overheating or what the batter temp thresholds were? I'd love to know just to so I can have it for reference.
Spare parts can be downloaded from the market. The other info not sure, but thats how it has been on many HTC phones.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
jollespm
Telegraph User

Mood: Tired
Phone: HTC Hero
My Mood: Tired
SU$: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputterduck View Post
You can download Spare Parts from the Android Market. It allows for viewing certain items normally not visible, and for tweaking the user interface. It should be a mandatory install for just about everyone.

I've watched the temperature of the battery while it was charging and checked when the lights were flashing, I just put the two pieces together.
jollespm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
jimbo59
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 60
Lightbulb I gave it back to Sprint

I had my EVO for 36 days. Though I really liked the phone, the overheating issue (and Sprint's refusal to acknowledge it) was not something I was prepared to live with.

Sprint will blame it on the car charger. Then they will blame it on talking on the phone while charging. Then they will tell you the problem lies with your car's electrical system. -None of these are the result of a proper diagnosis.

I spent a day trying to get to the bottom of this:

I charged the phone inside (air conditioned) using both the approved AC charger, and using the DC (cigar lighter) charger. -The result; neither resulted in overheating.

I then performed the same experiments in the car. Using the DC charger via the cigar lighter or using a portable power supply both resulted in the phone overheating. I even put a power inverter in the car and tried it using the AC charger. The result was that the phone would overheat.

My final attempt was yesterday morning. The outside temp was 79 degrees F.
It was a cloudy day. It took less than 15 minutes on the AC charger (using an inverter) for the phone to overheat.

The problem lies with the phone lacking the ability to adequately cool itself. (I even removed the back cover during the last charging session) If it is not charged in an air conditioned environment of about 80 degrees or less, the phone will overheat. -Even if your car has A/C, the sun shining through your windshield (using it as a GPS on a windshield mount) will cause it to overheat.

IMHO, this phone was not quite ready for prime time. If they ever remedy the cooling problem it will be a great phone. The first step in remedying the problem is to admit that such a problem exists. Sprint has not yet done that. Until they do, they will likely continue to lose long-time customers.

A user-installable heat sink on the battery, and a replacement vented cover to accommodate it may solve the problem. ---Is this the next iPhone????

(I may consider the EPIC (made by Samsung), but they're going to need to convince me that I can let my phone charge in the car for 30 minutes when the outside temp is 80 degrees (sans overheating) first.)
jimbo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
SixxT9
Cordless Phone User

Phone: HTC hero
SU$: 3,806
Send a message via AIM to SixxT9
^^ I'm sure if you left any phone sitting in your car in direct sunlight would result in it overheating, this is the first phone I've had that actually told me that it was overheating. How are you going to have a heatsink on the back of the phone. That would require the phone to be even larger than it is and how well would a small heatsink work?

Simple thing to do, don't leave your phone in direct sunlight and have it charging.
SixxT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
dlichterman
Super Moderator

1. Don't leave it in direct sunlight. The phone is black. Black absorbs heat/light.

2. The surface you leave the phone on matters - a desk will be cold and hard, a car seat or dash will absorb and store heat.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > HTC > LED blinking while charging

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: