Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
joelshane232
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 136
Is it better to upgrade through sprint or Best Buy?

Which is the better way to go?
joelshane232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #2
Gibsohnn

Trades: 3
SU$: 9,210
Depends....if you upgrade through Best Buy you have to return and exchange through Best Buy. If you do it at a Sprint Store, you can deal with them. Best Buy has instant MIR, the store doesn't.
Gibsohnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
thekarens
Bird Watcher

Mood: Brooding
Phone: N5
SU$: 17,728
That's not exactly true. I've bought at BB and exchanged through Sprint (but it was after the initial 30 days) Personally I never go through Sprint. They like to make you jump through hoops, not to mention the wait, for your rebate. At BB it's instant so there's no messing that up.
thekarens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
ccchhhrrriiisss
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mood: Inspired
Phone: LG G2
SU$: 11,486
For the next month, you can purchase through Sprint.com without having to wait for a mail-in rebate.

For most of the phones, you will receive either a $50 or $100 instant discount in addition to your $150 upgrade! You will be able to be billed for the phone to your account. The phone will be shipped to you overnight (for FREE) via UPS or FedEx. Then, you simply use the website activation page to easily activate your phone.

I just purchased the HTC Touch Pro 2 from Sprint.com. I called Sprint, and in addition to my $150 upgrade, Sprint offered me a choice of a $50 one time credit (for renewing my contract), -OR- a $100 Sprint discount -OR- a 1 month credit of my monthly bill. I chose the 1 month credit (since it was the highest -- $109.99).

Math? $150 upgrade + $100 instant web special + $109.99 = $359.99 in savings!

So, the phone cost me (after these savings) approximately $90! Even if you don't receive the phone, the "web special" caused my taxes to be lower than they would be at BestBuy or RadioShack.

I don't know much about your account, but you might want to try calling Sprint for the discount! I was transferred immediately to Account Services and told them that I was interested in staying with Sprint (or switching to AT&T/Verizon for the iPhone 4), because the best phone that I could get on a legacy plan was too expensive. The Account Services rep immediately offered the choice of the $109.99 or $100 credit.

Good luck!

ccchhhrrriiisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
boomhower
Digital PCS User

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: 4S ordered
Trades: 5
SU$: 31,956
Go with who ever is cheapest. CCC's experience is in the minority these days, Sprint's tightened up considerably. I go with BB for the instant rebate.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #6
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 14,173
if you know exactly what you want, go to best buy.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
For the next month, you can purchase through Sprint.com without having to wait for a mail-in rebate.

For most of the phones, you will receive either a $50 or $100 instant discount in addition to your $150 upgrade! You will be able to be billed for the phone to your account. The phone will be shipped to you overnight (for FREE) via UPS or FedEx. Then, you simply use the website activation page to easily activate your phone.

I just purchased the HTC Touch Pro 2 from Sprint.com. I called Sprint, and in addition to my $150 upgrade, Sprint offered me a choice of a $50 one time credit (for renewing my contract), -OR- a $100 Sprint discount -OR- a 1 month credit of my monthly bill. I chose the 1 month credit (since it was the highest -- $109.99).

So, the phone cost me (after these savings) approximately $90! Even if you don't receive the phone, the "web special" caused my taxes to be lower than they would be at BestBuy or RadioShack.

I don't know much about your account, but you might want to try calling Sprint for the discount! I was transferred immediately to Account Services and told them that I was interested in staying with Sprint (or switching to AT&T/Verizon for the iPhone 4), because the best phone that I could get on a legacy plan was too expensive. The Account Services rep immediately offered the choice of the $109.99 or $100 credit.

Good luck!

Wow...when I called Sprint to resolve some connection issues with my phone, the Customer Service rep told me that I was also eligible for the $50 renewal credit that I was told about earlier.

I explained to her that I was informed by the Account Services rep that I couldn't receive both the 1 month bill credit AND the $50 renewal credit -- but she said that I could! I signed into my account at Sprint.com and noticed that the $50 renewal credit was there!

Now, I will have to wait for the next bill to make certain that my $109.99 credit (a credit for one month of service) is also there like I was promised. If this is the case, then the HTC Touch Pro 2 will only cost me $40 (plus tax)!

Old 07-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
VisionsDivine
I actually hate phones

Phone: My landline lol
Trades: 6
SU$: 8,962
Neither, go with Ebay or Criagslist.

Unless you're looking to get the hottest phone on the market, you can typically get good quality used or BNIB phones off the Bay or Craig's for about the two-year upgrade price. You don't have to sign a contract in this case.
VisionsDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
sjones
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Angelic
Phone: 2 x IP5's ipad3
Trades: 5
SU$: 11,328
Quote:

Good luck!

I thought i read some where that this does not include the EVO ? so its not on every phone.

To the op BB or RS no way i am waiting on rebates

Last edited by sjones; 07-16-2010 at 09:17 AM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
I thought i read some where that this does not include the EVO ? so its not on every phone.

To the op BB or RS no way i am waiting on rebates
Yes, I included this in one of my earlier comments. The EVO is the only phone on Sprint.com that does not receive the instant "web special" (but this could be due to the fact that, because of shortages, you can't even order the EVO from Sprint.com right now).

As for the renewal perk that I received, it had nothing to do with my plan or my phone choice. It was merely an attempt to get me to sign up for another two years.

:-)
Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
BerryChic
another word 4 thesaurus?

Mood: Amused
Phone: hTC EVO
SU$: 31,957
Quote:
Yes, I included this in one of my earlier comments. The EVO is the only phone on Sprint.com that does not receive the instant "web special" (but this could be due to the fact that, because of shortages, you can't even order the EVO from Sprint.com right now).

As for the renewal perk that I received, it had nothing to do with my plan or my phone choice. It was merely an attempt to get me to sign up for another two years.

:-)
I also think they won't allow this offer on the Evo because it would not be the right thing to do to their B&M retail employees who get pay and goals based on sales, they really wouldn't do that on the highest demand phone on their network right now.

BerryChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
Gibsohnn

Trades: 3
SU$: 9,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
That's not exactly true. I've bought at BB and exchanged through Sprint (but it was after the initial 30 days) Personally I never go through Sprint. They like to make you jump through hoops, not to mention the wait, for your rebate. At BB it's instant so there's no messing that up.
That's exactly what I'm referring to. We're discussing a purchase, not a warranty exchange done 15 months later...

If you buy the phone at BBY, you have to take it back to them within the first 30 days and deal with ONLY them.
Gibsohnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #13
jmalla01
Telephone User

Phone: EVO 4G
SU$: 2,865
I've completed my last 3 upgrades at Best Buy and I've been totally happy with the decision. I've done lots of research in advance of the upgrade and knew exactly what I wanted when I walked into Best Buy. Major advantage is you don't have to deal with the mail-in rebate. I've had really good luck at the BB store in Flower Mound, TX - they have an employee there that's a total android wiz kid.

Premiere Gold based on 14 years of service

Thanks Sprint User ccchhhrrriiisss for the SU$ donation.
jmalla01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #14
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 8,421
RS or BB for the lowest prices, up front discount for no MIR, but not the best service.
Independent authorized reseller for best service but don't expect the lowest prices.
Sprint store if you have time to waste and want to pay the most upfront and wait for MIR.

You may want to check out some of the online vendors like Amazon, ebay, etc etc. too.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
MsBeautiful85
Cordless Phone User

Phone: LG Touch
SU$: 1,675
Send a message via Yahoo to MsBeautiful85
I seen yesterday that The Shack also has the HTC EVO..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: