Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
keithert
Telephone User

SU$: 1,622
Micro USB port loose and not charging.

As of a couple days ago the Micro USB charging port on my EVO has gotten loose and will not work unless I jiggle it just right. I did a search here but didn't find any info about it. A general internet search turned up that this is a somewhat common issue and that the port itself cannot be changed by a repair shop. Also HTC was not treating this as a warranty defect. What are my options for trying to send it in under warranty? I do have the TEP plan but I'd hate to have to pay the $100 deductible for something like this that is a weak point on the phone. Plus can't you only have a phone replaced once a year under the plan? If this is a common problem what's to say the replacement phone won't break too in another month! I do have an external charger and multiple batteries so it looks like I'll be charging them up and carrying extra batteries.

Last edited by keithert; 07-12-2010 at 10:19 AM.
keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
boomhower
Digital PCS User

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: 4S ordered
Trades: 5
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 31,956
Unless you damaged it Sprint will replace it as a warranty with no deductable. If you are innocent of any wrong doing do not take no for an answer.

TEP gives you three replacements a year.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
slopokdave
Telegraph User

SU$: 311
Are you sure its not the cable?

Check the tip on your cable which plugs into your phone, make sure its not slightly bent. If its slightly bent, the two little prongs will not stick up, and will not hold the cable into your phone.
slopokdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
bluegrass
Telephone User

Mood: Ninja
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 1,050
Send a message via MSN to bluegrass
I just had this problem with a year old phone didnt have Ins.told me that it couldnt be fixed but would sell me one for $100 but didnt say what kind it would be ....had an old phone one at home and just had the number switched .I have 6 months before I can get the full upgrade price on a new phone
bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
keithert
Telephone User

It happens with every cable I've tried. The port itself is actually loose in the phone. If I put downward pressure on the cord it will work.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
emtownsend
Mr. Gadget

Mood: Mellow
Phone: Note Edge
Trades: 2
My Mood: Mellow
SU$: 942
I'd take it back to your local Sprint shop. They should swap it right out. If not, you may need to find another more responsive shop, but I bet they will.
Did you call HTC yourself? A long time ago, I had a problem with a Palm Treo 755 that did not have insurance. It broke after a short time and Sprint would not replace it. I called Palm as it was under a 1 year warranty, but they tried SO hard to deny my claim as they wanted Sprint to take care of it. I eventually got it replaced, but I had to spend many hours on the phone and writing to Palm just to get them to honor their warranty. HTC might want Sprint to take the hit too, dunno, just have to call and try.
2xDroid Turbos (kids love them)
Hoping to switch back to Sprint!
emtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
slopokdave
Telegraph User

SU$: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
It happens with every cable I've tried. The port itself is actually loose in the phone. If I put downward pressure on the cord it will work.
Gotcha
slopokdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
keithert
Telephone User

I stopped at a Sprint store last night and they said to take it to a repair center. I'll do that soon.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
keithert
Telephone User

I went to a service center today. They ordered a new phone and mine will be replaced under warranty. The tech did say that the power port is attached to the motherboard and can't be replaced. He claimed this was his first EVO problem.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
keithert
Telephone User

I picked up the replacement phone yesterday. I does work better. It didn't come in the factory packaging, just a bubble wrap envelope. The tech had to put my battery and memory card into it. It doesn't appear to be a refurbished phone. It has a hardware version of 0003.

Reinstalling the apps has gone pretty well. I used Mybackup on the old phone. I had to get the Pro version to restore everything. Some of the paid apps didn't restore properly but I was able to re-download them from the app store at no charge. I now for the most part have the new phone set up like the old phone was. Not as seamless of a process as my Centro had though.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
palipimpn
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung Epic 4G
SU$: 2,825
I hate to bring up an old thread, but now I am having this problem with my Evo. I noticed today that my usb port is loose. It charges fine if I just keep it laid down, but if I'm using it while plugged it, then it the charging will be on and off.

Since I'm still covered under the 1-year warranty, I guess I need to find a Sprint repair center now?? How long will it take to fix? How long will I be without my phone?
palipimpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
They will not fix your phone, they will replace it.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
shoocream
Telegraph User

Phone: touch pro
SU$: 284
Same problem...My phone wouldn't charge!!! HTC needs to fix the usb port design.
shoocream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
bjbarr
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Amazed
Phone: Galaxy Note III
Trades: 8
My Mood: Amazed
SU$: 31,278
Send a message via Yahoo to bjbarr
Quote:
Originally Posted by palipimpn View Post
I hate to bring up an old thread, but now I am having this problem with my Evo. I noticed today that my usb port is loose. It charges fine if I just keep it laid down, but if I'm using it while plugged it, then it the charging will be on and off.

Since I'm still covered under the 1-year warranty, I guess I need to find a Sprint repair center now?? How long will it take to fix? How long will I be without my phone?
Mine did the same thing but mine was the charging cable. They replaced the cable and it is now charging better now than it did on launch day so from that it appears I have had a cable problem from day one so get the cable checked first, it may save a headache of having to do a backup and install. If it happens to do it again I will definietly raise a rucuss.
If you have insurance they will replace it there in the store. Well, generally they will especially if it is a corporate store. If they end up shipping it to you it may take a couple of days. That is why it is better to take it to a store first and not call Asurion. (Sprint's insurance carrier).
bjbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Known issue. As long as you have not damaged it, Sprint will replace the phone. There were some that the ports would lift off the motherboard due to poor soldering.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > HTC > Micro USB port loose and not charging.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: