Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
emtownsend
Mr. Gadget

Phone: HTC EVO
Trades: 2
SU$: 914
Exclamation Sprint Surcharges getting high!!

Here is from this month's bill:

Federal-Univ Serv Assess Non-LD $3.82
Administrative Charge $4.95
Regulatory Charge $2.00
--------------
$10.77

This is in addition to another $6.55 in Idaho tax and 911 County tax. So, I pay around $17 per month in taxes and surcharges.
The thing about surcharges is they are not mandated charges by the government. They are fees that Sprint chooses to charge ON TOP of your bill and can vary from month to month. So, the $4.95 admin charge for example... what is that all about? These are "just because" fees. Take that $17 a month and add to it the $10 per month EVO "just because" fee and I am paying Sprint $27 per month simply because they feel they need it, not because of a specific service they are providing. OK, off my soapbox, but this is nuts!
2x Sanyo Katana LX
1x Samsung M300
emtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
dlichterman
Super Moderator

Mood: Sleepy
Phone: 3VO
Trades: 5
My Mood: Sleepy
SU$: 18,688
Well, each line has a 99 cent admin fee, and each line has a 40 cent "regulatory charge", thats why they seem bigger as you have 5 lines.......
Old 06-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 8,421
OP: I know how you feel about the fees and taxes.

Suppose you were offered the choice of the same plan minutes, features, etc etc. One plan is $40/month + fees/taxes (little emphasis on the fees/taxes), other is $49/month. Which one do you think a consumer would pick?

That's why you have fees/taxes separate from the MRC, and often never discussed when mentioning the plan's monthly cost.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
fonephreak
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Busy
Phone: Blackberry Bold
My Mood: Busy
SU$: 5,434
taxes aside:
suppose you had a 2 year contract at 40.00 a month & you wanted to raise your customer's fees - that is, change the terms mid-contract. That wouldn't be so legal, would it? & your customer would have the right to pick up & walk away from the contract, killing the goose laying the golden eggs. Hmm... Suppose instead of increasing charges openly, you add in open-ended "administrative fees" & "surcharges" - that would work!
fonephreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
dlichterman
Super Moderator

Mood: Sleepy
Phone: 3VO
Trades: 5
My Mood: Sleepy
SU$: 18,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonephreak View Post
taxes aside:
suppose you had a 2 year contract at 40.00 a month & you wanted to raise your customer's fees - that is, change the terms mid-contract. That wouldn't be so legal, would it? & your customer would have the right to pick up & walk away from the contract, killing the goose laying the golden eggs. Hmm... Suppose instead of increasing charges openly, you add in open-ended "administrative fees" & "surcharges" - that would work!
Sprint has actually done exactly that in the past, increased fees and people could cancel.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
emtownsend
Mr. Gadget

Phone: HTC EVO
Trades: 2
SU$: 914
Yeah. I understand. I'm still hanging with Sprint but I guess I'm getting old or something because I am noticing all sorts of these non-service related fees lately (I'm sure they've always been there but I guess never used to care).
2x Sanyo Katana LX
1x Samsung M300
emtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
leicabug
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Touch Pro 2
SU$: 2,384
I have heard that no taxes nor surcharges for the prepaid. Maybe it is time to examine those alternatives .
leicabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #8
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicabug View Post
I have heard that no taxes nor surcharges for the prepaid. Maybe it is time to examine those alternatives .
Prepaid (boost anyways) includes all taxes and fees into its "base plan."

Perhaps what it is time to do is to make all fees be part of the base plan, and only charge taxes (which vary greatly from state to state and even county to county) and make it a requirement of all carriers. In that way, a consumer could see the true cost of service (money to the company) and need only add in the local taxes to see a "true cost" each month.
mckinnonw (08-27-2010)
Old 06-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #9
aau007
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Bored
Phone: Shift
Trades: 8
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 16,679
Is Sprint the only one charging these fees among the big four? Or does Sprint charge a lot more than the others?

One thing I know about ATT when checking their prices on the net, they charge something like $2 if you want paper bill.
aau007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by aau007 View Post
Is Sprint the only one charging these fees among the big four? Or does Sprint charge a lot more than the others?

One thing I know about ATT when checking their prices on the net, they charge something like $2 if you want paper bill.
No, the surcharges and fees are not unique to Sprint.

Verizon:

What are Verizon Wireless' Surcharges?
Verizon Wireless' Surcharges include charges to recover or help defray costs of taxes and of governmental charges and fees imposed on us, including a Regulatory Charge (which helps defray costs of various regulatory mandates, including government number administration and license fees) and a Federal Universal Service Charge (and, if applicable, a State Universal Service Charge) to recover costs imposed on us by the government to support universal service, and may include other charges also related to our governmental costs. It also includes an Administrative Charge, which helps defray certain costs we incur, currently including (i) charges we, or our agents, pay local telephone companies for delivering calls from our customers to their customers, (ii) fees and assessments on network facilities and services, and (iii) certain costs and charges associated with proceedings related to new cell site construction. Please note that these are Verizon Wireless charges, not taxes that we are required to collect from you. These charges, and what's included, are subject to change from time to time.
What are Taxes, Governmental Surcharges and Fees?
Taxes, Governmental Surcharges and Fees include sales, excise and other taxes and governmental surcharges and fees that we are required by law to bill to customers. These taxes, surcharges and fees may change from time to time without notice.

AT&T:

Taxes, fees and discretionary charges will apply to your wireless service and will be reflected on your bill. AT&T Mobility imposes either a Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge of up to $1.25 or a Regulatory Programs Charge of $1.75 to help defray costs incurred to comply with State and Federal telecommunications regulations, such as E911 deployment, State and Federal Universal Service, and other government mandates on AT&T Mobility. These charges are not taxes or government required assessments on end-user customers. AT&T Mobility has chosen to pass through these charges to its customers. Actual tax/fee/surcharge information for a particular locality can be found at wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/additionalcharges/.

Ex:

State
NEW YORK
Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge
Federal Universal Service Fund
15.3%
State Universal Service Fund
$0.00
Other AT&T Surcharges
2.50% - 8.069%

T-Mobile:

Taxes and Fees. You agree to pay all taxes, fees, and surcharges (“Taxes & Fees”) imposed by the government. We may not always give advance notice of changes to these items. To determine Taxes & Fees, we will use the street address you identified as your Place of Primary Use (“PPU”). The PPU for Puerto Rico customers must be in Puerto Rico. If you did not identify the correct PPU, or provided us with an address (such as a PO box) that is not a recognized street address, does not identify the applicable taxing jurisdictions or does not reflect the Service area associated with your telephone number, you may be assigned a default PPU.

You agree to pay all other charges we assess to recover or defray governmental charges or costs we incur in connection with the services we provide, such as Federal Universal Service, regulatory and administrative charges, or gross receipts taxes, without regard to whether these governmental charges or costs fund programs that provide benefits to you or in your location. These charges are not taxes or regulatory fees imposed directly on you, nor required by law to be billed to you, may be kept by us in whole or in part, and the amounts and what is included in these charges are subject to change without notice.

Sprint:

Surcharges
You agree to pay all surcharges ("Surcharges"), which may include, but are not limited to: Federal Universal Service, various regulatory charges, Sprint administrative charges, gross receipts charges, and charges for the costs we incur in complying with governmental programs. Surcharges are not taxes and are not required by law. They are rates we choose to collect from you and are kept by us in whole or in part. The number and type of Surcharges may vary depending upon the location of the billing address of the Device and can change over time. We determine the rate for these charges and these amounts are subject to change as are the components used to calculate these amounts. We will provide you notice of any changes to Surcharges in a manner consistent with this Agreement (see "Providing Notice To Each Other Under The Agreement" section). However, since some Surcharges are based on amounts set by the government or based on government formulas, it will not always be possible to provide advance notice of new Surcharges or changes in the amount of existing Surcharges. Information on Surcharges is provided during the sales transaction and is available on our website.

If Sprint charges the highest fee's, or just calculates them a different way then other carriers (flat rate as opposed to a percentage) I can't tell you. They all collect non-mandated surcharges though.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #11
mckinnonw
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 8
Question...

Hey -- I saw your posting about Sprint surcharges.

I was thinking about switching and just wanted to know if the surcharges you pay are PER LINE. E.g. your profile says you have 5 lines on a Family Share. I will have 3 on my Family Share. Will I pay 3x the surcharges?

Thanks!!
mckinnonw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
rebader
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 16
I totally agree. I didn't notice this until this month when Sprint decided I no longer would receive my military discount on my contract. I have five lines and we share all the same minutes from the one program. However, in addition to losing my 10% discount I now see where they are charging the "SURCHARGES" that are basically Sprint costs passed on to the consumer. They estimate Sprint has around 28 million customers. If each customer is paying around $10.00 Sprint is making close to $4 BILLION yes BILLION a month off of this. For what? What are they doing the money? Paying stock holders? It's time for a change and I will be looking for a company that actually cares about the customer and not just the bottom line.
rebader is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Sprint Surcharges getting high!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: