Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #1
mike208
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 96
Question about EVO and SERO

Yes I know the EVO won't work on the SERO plan, which is why I purposely added a whole new plan for my EVO and kept the SERO plan. There were 2 reasons behind this. 1 If I decided I didn't like the EVO, I wanted my SERO plan to fall back on until I found something else I liked. 2 I was greedily hoping I could use the leverage of the SERO plan to have them waive the $10 fee for the EVO, I have heard fo this working for some and not for others. I think it all depends on how high up you escalate the matter.

So anyways, I called today because I wanted to have my number from the SERO account ported to be used on the EVO. I again wanted to keep SERO active and was going to port my girlfriends Revol number to my blackberry and have her use the SERO plan for now until we get her a new phone and add her to my EVO plan upgrading it to a family plan.

When I called to do the port, the guy said that he could put my blackberry number on the EVO phone/plan. He said the way it works is that he would have to assign the EVO to the SERO plan and number thus automatically changing it from a SERO plan to a simply everything plan. Is this really the way it works? Is there no way I can move my current number to my EVO and still keep the SERO plan?
mike208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
aau007
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Bored
Phone: Shift
Trades: 8
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 16,686
Once the SERO plan converts into an ED plan, there is no way to go back. Don't do it. Besides, when a number is ported out, the account cancels automatically. If you call back to reactivate the account, they will but you will lose the plan. In all essense, all old plans (plans that are no longer in the system for activation) and phone numbers are tied down and no way to split them.

Your way of thinking is just another twist of how to separate phone number and old plan and be able to keep both.
aau007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
mike208
Two Cans & String User

So you are saying there is no way for me to put my original number on the evo and keep the SERO plan? In which case I just need to keep my temp number until I am for sure keeping this phone/plan and then have them port the SERO number, thus losing my sero plan?

What if I go through retentions and tell them I will give up my SERO plan if they give me a $10 credit every month to cover that fee. If they agree to this, can I then port my SERO number to the EVO, or as they do it, move the EVO to my SERO plan and change it to ED?
Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
blackjackz
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
SU$: 597
I am in a similar situation. I have a SERO line. I purchased a new Evo on a new line, same account. I bought it at the sprint store, and the rep told me she would be able to just swap the phone numbers, so my old phone number would be on the Evo, and the new number would be on my old phone. But she said she can't do it until I get my rebate, otherwise the rebate would be denied, so I have to wait about 45 days to do the number swap.
blackjackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #5
aau007
Cellular Phone User

My opinion is this if you want to just try if EVO is good for you and if so, willing to give up the SERO.

Get the EVO on a separate plan, try it test it and make sure you are within 30 days gaurantee time frame. If you decide to keep the EVO, call retention and see if they can do everything for you in one shot, meaning cancelling the new line of service and converting your SERO to a regular ED plan, or better yet the EPRP. The pitfall is this. Since you bought the EVO under the new plan and if you cancel the new plan without returning the EVO, you might get hit with an invoice for the full price of the EVO.

The lengthy way but pretty much you won't get screwed way:
Set up a new plan with the EVO.
Test it and make sure it is the phone you want.
If you decide to use the EVO, return the EVO and cancel the line.
Call CS to convert your SERO to a regular ED plan and order another EVO.
Better yet, call retention and see if they will order the EVO and convert you to an EPRP.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
aau007
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackz View Post
I am in a similar situation. I have a SERO line. I purchased a new Evo on a new line, same account. I bought it at the sprint store, and the rep told me she would be able to just swap the phone numbers, so my old phone number would be on the Evo, and the new number would be on my old phone. But she said she can't do it until I get my rebate, otherwise the rebate would be denied, so I have to wait about 45 days to do the number swap.
Works if you really want to have a new line of service.
After you get your rebate, you will be out of the 30 days window and you won't be able to cancel the new line without ETF.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
mike208
Two Cans & String User

Lol, well I am gonna call them again here soon. Either they can help me out and keep me as a customer, or they can do some of the messed up things you mentioned and lose me as a customer.

I talked to the manager at the store I bought it from on 2 different occasions, and he assured me they would be able to do it the way we talked about. I am willing to forgive sprint for having a manager who may not know everything the way it is, but only if they are willing to forgive having a manager who tells people things that aren't true.

My SERO plan is off contract, so even if I have to cancel the current EVO plan, I should still not get hit with a full invoice price for the phone as I am eligible for the upgrade on my SERO.

I just really don't understand why they aren't able to just move my current number to the EVO.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
aau007
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike208 View Post
My SERO plan is off contract, so even if I have to cancel the current EVO plan, I should still not get hit with a full invoice price for the phone as I am eligible for the upgrade on my SERO.

I just really don't understand why they aren't able to just move my current number to the EVO.
Logically it makes human sense but computers are programmed to do things it is told, not to make logic out of things. Here are the things that would go wrong for you without human intervention:
1. You open a new line with ED plan and get an EVO.
2. You are satified with the EVO.
3. You cancel the new line, take the same EVO and activate the phone on the SERO line.
4. After activating the EVO on the SERO line, your plan needs to be changed to a regular ED plan (or EPRP if they let you) and it is changed and renewed for 2 years.
5. Since your new line is cancelled and you did not return the phone, you will be invoiced for the full price of the phone. Keep in mind the computer is not smart enough, programmed to or allow to LOOK for another eligible line to move your EVO to.
6. Your MIR will be declined since the EVO is now on a phone number that is different than the original one that the claim in under.
7. You call CS or retention and HOPE they will/can fix it for you.
8. If you are still within the 30 days window, they might just ask you to return the EVO and sell you another one under the old SERO, now upgraded line. If outside of 30 days, you will need to find someone who is nice enough to issue you service credit to compensate for the full price of the EVO.

Oh, as far as moving the number to the EVO, I think it is technically possible. Just need the right person. I don't think the regular CS has the tools to do it so they tell you no. It is easier for regular CS to upgrade your plan and sell you an EVO than upgrading your plan, swap in a phone number and cancel your new line, all at the same time.

Last edited by aau007; 06-05-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
Captain Chaos
Telegraph User

SU$: 336
I'm in a similar boat. I have the SERO $30 plan from 2007 and want to upgrade within the next week to the EVO 4G. I've been going back and forth about getting the ED 450 plan for $69.99+$10 with the option to upgrade (phone) every 12 months or go the EPRP route for $59.99+$10. Really, the only benefit to the ED plan is the "upgrade every 12." Can anyone confirm that this is the only real difference between the plans? It looks that way to me. The way I figure it, if the ED 450 gave me $150 off every 12 months, after 15 months on EPRP I'd have saved that much anyway, so EPRP would be the way to go? Sound about right?

My only other question is whether corporate discounts can be applied to EPRP accounts?
Captain Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #10
psixichka
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: EVO
SU$: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post

My only other question is whether corporate discounts can be applied to EPRP accounts?
no corp discounts on eprp

and isnt upgrade every 12 for premier accounts only ( lines over $100) ?
psixichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:10 AM   #11
chokaay
Now on T-Mobile...

Mood: none
Phone: Apple iPhone 6+
SU$: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by psixichka View Post
no corp discounts on eprp

and isnt upgrade every 12 for premier accounts only ( lines over $100) ?

Sprint Premier Criteria:

SINGLE-LINED PLAN = $69.99/mo (pre-discounts)... EPRP 500 doesn't qualify, EPRP 1000 does.

FAMILY PLAN = $99.99/mo (pre-discounts)... all EPRP qualify.
chokaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
LuckySlevin
Telegraph User

SU$: 363
Some of you got off lucky, I was just gonna get a new line added to my account but online said I couldn't add an ED ontop of a SERO, #2, said the same, and alas while at the store I eventually got the same response.
LuckySlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
psixichka
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: EVO
SU$: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySlevin View Post
Some of you got off lucky, I was just gonna get a new line added to my account but online said I couldn't add an ED ontop of a SERO, #2, said the same, and alas while at the store I eventually got the same response.
hhmmmm that makes no sense at all, unless you are only able to have a certain amt of lines because of your credit
psixichka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
scottee
Telegraph User

Trades: 1
SU$: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
I'm in a similar boat. I have the SERO $30 plan from 2007 and want to upgrade within the next week to the EVO 4G. I've been going back and forth about getting the ED 450 plan for $69.99+$10 with the option to upgrade (phone) every 12 months or go the EPRP route for $59.99+$10. Really, the only benefit to the ED plan is the "upgrade every 12." Can anyone confirm that this is the only real difference between the plans? It looks that way to me. The way I figure it, if the ED 450 gave me $150 off every 12 months, after 15 months on EPRP I'd have saved that much anyway, so EPRP would be the way to go? Sound about right?

The ED vives you $150 every 12 months, but on any other plan, including the EPRP, you get $75 off every 12 months ($150 after two years). So the difference is really $75 over a year, not $150. So more in the range of $6 a month, which is less than $10 month, which mean the EPRP route is cheaper.
scottee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #15
Tonydiv
Slave to Technology

Phone: Galaxy S3
SU$: 910
I really want that phone, but I'm not going to give up my SERO and go from $30 a month to $70 just to get it. If I wanted to spend that kind of money, I'd be a Verizon coustomer.

I've been with them for over 10 years and I'm out of contract in a month, but things like that don't seem to matter to Sprint any more.
Tonydiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Tips & Tricks - All Carriers > SERO > Question about EVO and SERO

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: