Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:51 AM   #1
xvs
Telegraph User

SU$: 731
Rumor from a rep: Smartphone restrictions will be removed from SERO

This is all I've got:

I was on the phone with a rep asking about plans and sort of complaining about my inability to get an Android phone with SERO, and the rep said something like, "I've heard rumors that that restriction is going to be removed sometime soon."

I asked if he had heard anything concrete and he said no, it could be just a rumor, but that's what he'd heard.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #2
acegolfer
Telephone User

SU$: 1,414
Another typical clueless Sprint rep.

Why would Sprint remove such restriction? SERO customers are not fleeing to other carriers because ED plans are still cheaper than others. Sprint's policy on SERO is currently working.

But I wish I were wrong.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
AL_CAPONE_187
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Sprint Diamond
SU$: 6,397
i for one think and hope this is not true simply because i just changed my plan lol. Ill be mad if it ended up true lol
Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
xvs
Telegraph User

SU$: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
Another typical clueless Sprint rep.

Why would Sprint...
I am asking if anyone has actual information to lend credence to or disprove this rumor.

Please don't use this thread as a place to speculate or hope that it will or won't be true. That just takes up space and isn't useful.

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
acegolfer
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvs View Post
I am asking if anyone has actual information to lend credence to or disprove this rumor.

Please don't use this thread as a place to speculate or hope that it will or won't be true. That just takes up space and isn't useful.

Thanks everyone.
Sorry for my speculation. I was just drawing conclusion logically, which can be wrong.

If you want the "actual information," then as of today, Android phones are NOT allowed on SERO.

If that policy changes, you will be my HERO.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Frieked
Telegraph User

Phone: Touch Daimond
SU$: 169
Crap, I was totally ready to jump ship for the Evo 4G next Friday but now I have to think twice.

*wishes he never saw this post*
Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 25,208
Quote:
Why would Sprint remove such restriction? SERO customers are not fleeing to other carriers because ED plans are still cheaper than others. Sprint's policy on SERO is currently working.
If they did it, likely it wouldn't be directly targeting SERO. They would remove the restriction for all old plans Free&Clear and Fair&Flexible (SERO happens to be a Fair&Flexible plan). Those long time customers have been leaving Sprint as their contracts expired, and with Sprint's current no perks policies, and now with phone restrictions forcing them to new more expensive plans if they want newer phones.

If they don't care about messaging it actually costs them the same to get iPhone (yes of course you get unlimited messaging with Everything, but if you don't use it, what is the value to you?)
Old 05-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
acegolfer
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
If they did it, likely it wouldn't be directly targeting SERO. They would remove the restriction for all old plans Free&Clear and Fair&Flexible (SERO happens to be a Fair&Flexible plan). Those long time customers have been leaving Sprint as their contracts expired, and with Sprint's current no perks policies, and now with phone restrictions forcing them to new more expensive plans if they want newer phones.

If they don't care about messaging it actually costs them the same to get iPhone (yes of course you get unlimited messaging with Everything, but if you don't use it, what is the value to you?)
Even though I stated otherwise, I agree with you. I'm also tempted to leave for Iphone because I can use google voice text. (I did the math in another thread to show that the rates for iphone and EVO are identical for 4 member family before any discounts.)

But I thought I was in the minority. Most ppl suggested they are upgrading to ED plans to get better phones. I haven't seen many defections to other carriers.

If SERO allows any phone as OP said, then I'll be a happy camper. I'll keep my SERO a little longer just in case miracle happens.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
But I thought I was in the minority. Most ppl suggested they are upgrading to ED plans to get better phones. I haven't seen many defections to other carriers.
If someone leaves Sprint, they don't usually come back here and post unless they are really upset at Sprint, so going by posts, you get a skewed view. Also there are many sprint reps on here now who are quite vocal so you don't always get unbiased views and alternate views can get drowned out.

Sprint CDMA has been losing customers along with bigger losses on the Nextel side. The cell phone market in the US is saturated so if a carrier gains, it is usually from the loss at another carrier. The easiest target for a lost customer is someone who's contract is over. Since Everything plans are mostly within the last 2-3 years, chances are high that a person out of contract on Sprint was on one of the older plans. They usually call in because it is about time to upgrade phones to one of these smartphones they've been hearing about, only to realize Sprint wants them to pay $20-$30 more for the unlimited data they already have on their plan, to get the privilege of using a Smartphone. Up until then, they may not have even been looking around, but when you tell someone to change their plan and pay more, that often gives them enough reason to shop around. Some of those people stick with Sprint but some of them leave. The best thing, from a retention standpoint, would be if those people were not given any reason to even shop around. Obviously they stuck around with Sprint because they found the service somewhat acceptable.

I'm not saying Sprint management thinks in this way nor am I saying they are considering changing the rules on newer Smartphones, just offering reasoning why they could consider changing the policies. Of course the other reasoning is we'll deal with any defections, getting more from the people that stay is worth it.

Last edited by sfhub; 05-28-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
black88mx6
Telegraph User

Phone: TP2
SU$: 191
If they put a time limit on the new phones so that they could not be used with older data plans for say 3-6 months after release would be ok with me. I like what I have with SERO, and it would keep me with sprint.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #11
acegolfer
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by black88mx6 View Post
If they put a time limit on the new phones so that they could not be used with older data plans for say 3-6 months after release would be ok with me. I like what I have with SERO, and it would keep me with sprint.
That's a brilliant idea.

Sprint, are you listening?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

I agree it is a great idea.

It had been suggested before but Sprint wasn't receptive back then. Maybe they would be more receptive now, who knows.

They already do the delay thing for other discounted plans when a hot phone comes out, but that is not in-lieu-of having plan restricted phones.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
dohturdima
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung Epic 4g
SU$: 1,956
Sprint does not want SERO users to have the phones that use lots of data (Android, WebOS or iPhone would fit the bill). Assumption is that WinMo, Palm garnet and BB (even with free BIS) aren't so data-friendly, so they are allowed. And, obviously, the more obvious and much more likely reason is that Sprint wants existing SERO users to jump to more expensive plans by dangling the restricted phones as a lure. I definitely would not hold my breath re. Sprint removing restrictions for both of the above reasons (particularly the last).
Old 05-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
commesso
Telegraph User

Phone: Blackberry 9670
SU$: 146
Sprint does not want SERO users to have the phones that use lots of data (Android, WebOS or iPhone would fit the bill). Assumption is that WinMo, Palm garnet and BB (even with free BIS) aren't so data-friendly, so they are allowed. And, obviously, the more obvious and much more likely reason is that Sprint wants existing SERO users to jump to more expensive plans by dangling the restricted phones as a lure. I definitely would not hold my breath re. Sprint removing restrictions for both of the above reasons (particularly the last).

The landscape is changing, Sprint's newly acquired company Virgin Mobile has a brand new $25.00 per month unlimted data plan with 300 min. of talk. Sprint's Boost Mobile has a $50 per month "all you can eat" plan. Both are prepaid plans and Wall Street and Sprint and all their competitors love the post paid plans (much more profitable or at least that's the perception).

Mobile bsns has become a zero sum game with 95%-97% of US population with cell phones. Only was you can grow the top line is to liberate customers from other carriers or get them to spend for ancillary services i.e. date etc.

To be competitive you gotta grow your base and keeping current customers (including SERO folks) happy is an important part of the plan. I look for a pretty big move towards liberalizing Sero customers' options going forward.
The $10 Blackberry Bis is a step in that dirction.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #15
kris926
Telegraph User

Phone: Bold 9650
SU$: 115
Maybe they could add a $10 month "premium" fee like they are doing with the EVO. I would be up for that but I'm not holding my breath!
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Tips & Tricks - All Carriers > SERO > Rumor from a rep: Smartphone restrictions will be removed from SERO

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: