Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
bubbatex
Wasting too much time on forums

Phone: uh.....
Trades: 1
SU$: 12,465
Can you get a one year contract @ Sprint?

Like Verizon does? I am thinking about the new EVO 4g but I don't want to do a 2 year contract.

Can you buy a new smartphone from Sprint for full value and go month-to-month? Pay $450 for the EVO and then get whatever plan I want but w/o a contract?
bubbatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
jcsprint2009
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 3,333
You can always sign the two year contract and get the phone at the lowest price, then cancel after one year. The termination fee would be less than the amount you saved on the phone subsidy anyhow.
jcsprint2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
bubbatex
Wasting too much time on forums

Phone: uh.....
SU$: 12,465
True - ETF's still $200? Or does it start to decrease after a period of time?
bubbatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
jcsprint2009
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 3,333
It's prorated.
jcsprint2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
SU$: 14,690
you can do a 1 year contract - are you a new or existing customer?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
bigchico68
Crop Circle User

Mood: Inspired
Phone: iPhone 5
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 30,177
Send a message via AIM to bigchico68
There are no one year contracts. The only thing that you can do a one year contract on is an air card, and by doing that the price is $79.99 instead of $59.99. There are NO one year contracts on phones.

Unless you have a business account, but for consumers, NO.
bigchico68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #7
diveborg
journeyman electrician

Mood: Blah
Phone: LG Optimus
My Mood: Blah
SU$: 29,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchico68 View Post
There are no one year contracts. The only thing that you can do a one year contract on is an air card, and by doing that the price is $79.99 instead of $59.99. There are NO one year contracts on phones.

Unless you have a business account, but for consumers, NO.
There are on phone upgrades.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
SU$: 14,690
if you're an existing customer, you can do the 1 year contract pricing. It's such a bad deal that you may as well just buy the phone full price.

now if you're a new customer, you have to do a couple of things. first you have to get a phone that doesn't require an Everything plan (think old $5 phones you can find at Goodwill or eBay etc...). Then you activate it on the $39.99 month to month plan. At that point since you are month to month and you activated with your own device, you are fully eligible for upgrade. You can now upgrade into the EVO with the 1 year pricing upgrade (or buy outright).
Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #9
bigchico68
Crop Circle User

I have always been under the impression that when using the $75 upgrade you still sign a two year contract and I have been with the company for two years, so I would like to see or know where I can find documentation on ISC that backs up your guys's claims about this one year contract. Never once have I used someones one year $75 upgrade and them not been put on a two year contract. Also the only time I have seen the system give an option for a one year contract is for business accounts.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
halcyoncmdr
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Hero
SU$: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchico68 View Post
I have always been under the impression that when using the $75 upgrade you still sign a two year contract and I have been with the company for two years, so I would like to see or know where I can find documentation on ISC that backs up your guys's claims about this one year contract. Never once have I used someones one year $75 upgrade and them not been put on a two year contract. Also the only time I have seen the system give an option for a one year contract is for business accounts.
An existing customer is eligible for upgrade at 12 months and 22 months, each time period has a different amount eligible. They have two options each time. At 12 months the customer can choose a 1 year contract with $25 off the retail price of a handset. Or they can take a 2 year contract with $75 off the retail price. At 22 months the customer can choose a 1 year contract with $75 off the retail price. Or they can choose a 2 year contract with $150 off the retail price, plus any other instant and mail-in rebate savings.

Both of the one year contract discounts are pointless honestly. The are there if you want them, but it's better to just buy the phones outright and have no contract.

It is all listed at https://manage.sprintpcs.com/special...anity:upgrades as well in a nice graph if you're more visually inclined.
HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre
halcyoncmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
bigchico68
Crop Circle User

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
An existing customer is eligible for upgrade at 12 months and 22 months, each time period has a different amount eligible. They have two options each time. At 12 months the customer can choose a 1 year contract with $25 off the retail price of a handset. Or they can take a 2 year contract with $75 off the retail price. At 22 months the customer can choose a 1 year contract with $75 off the retail price. Or they can choose a 2 year contract with $150 off the retail price, plus any other instant and mail-in rebate savings.

Both of the one year contract discounts are pointless honestly. The are there if you want them, but it's better to just buy the phones outright and have no contract.

It is all listed at https://manage.sprintpcs.com/special...anity:upgrades as well in a nice graph if you're more visually inclined.
huh.... Thats crazy been with em working for two years and never heard of this. They obviously don't want people on one year contracts. LOL!!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
halcyoncmdr
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Hero
SU$: 1,108
The one year contracts make Sprint much less money over the course, hence lower discounting.

At least we aren't in Canada, 3 year contracts are pretty much the norm up there, otherwise the phones are too expensive. That 3 year contract brings the phone to roughly the same price as a 2 year contract here.
HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre
halcyoncmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Can you get a one year contract @ Sprint?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: