Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
jt.davis84
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 35
U301: Slow Speeds and Poor Reception

Hello,

New, somewhat frustrated user. Thought I'd post to see if my experiences were common, or if I might have a bad unit.

I was very excited to get my new U301 USB 3G/4G modem in the mail, but over the last two days have been very disappointed with its performance. I'm consistently getting no more than 1-2 bars of EVDO Rev 0 inside buildings, including my house and office -- both of which are well within Sprint's 3G and 4G Dallas TX service areas, according to the online coverage map. I'm also seeing the occassional dropped connection.

I'm seeing ping times/latency in the 100-400 millisecond range on the 3G network, with speeds as low as 200 kbps and never higher than 1.02 megabits, with average speeds usually somewhere in the 500-700 kbps range.

On the 4G side, in two days I've only managed to get it to see the 4G network for about five minutes. Most of the rest of the time, it either doesn't see the network at all, or connects with 1 bar of signal and is essentially unable. Admittedly, I did get a very good signal in a gas station parking lot, and got 3 megabits down, which was very impressive.

The best service I've gotten is in the back seat of a car driving down a road. I'd like to be able to use the thing in an actual building, though.

It seems wildly unstable and barely usable, and I'm starting to wonder if the network near my home and office is just that bad, both 3G and 4G, or if the modem is wonky.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

So far I've only tried it on a Mac laptop. Haven't gotten a chance to try it on my Windows machine yet.
jt.davis84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
simplyphp
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt.davis84 View Post
Hello,

New, somewhat frustrated user. Thought I'd post to see if my experiences were common, or if I might have a bad unit.

I was very excited to get my new U301 USB 3G/4G modem in the mail, but over the last two days have been very disappointed with its performance. I'm consistently getting no more than 1-2 bars of EVDO Rev 0 inside buildings, including my house and office -- both of which are well within Sprint's 3G and 4G Dallas TX service areas, according to the online coverage map. I'm also seeing the occassional dropped connection.

I'm seeing ping times/latency in the 100-400 millisecond range on the 3G network, with speeds as low as 200 kbps and never higher than 1.02 megabits, with average speeds usually somewhere in the 500-700 kbps range.

On the 4G side, in two days I've only managed to get it to see the 4G network for about five minutes. Most of the rest of the time, it either doesn't see the network at all, or connects with 1 bar of signal and is essentially unable. Admittedly, I did get a very good signal in a gas station parking lot, and got 3 megabits down, which was very impressive.

The best service I've gotten is in the back seat of a car driving down a road. I'd like to be able to use the thing in an actual building, though.

It seems wildly unstable and barely usable, and I'm starting to wonder if the network near my home and office is just that bad, both 3G and 4G, or if the modem is wonky.

Any thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

So far I've only tried it on a Mac laptop. Haven't gotten a chance to try it on my Windows machine yet.
I'm having similar issues, 4G loses connection like crazy if you're driving in Dallas. 3G is fine though, but obviously not as fast.
simplyphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
tjquang
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 22
I have the same frustrated issues:

- Having full bar, but DL speed is 0.23MB ( may be OK) but ULis 0.09MB, even go down to 0.03MB. Very slow response then unexpected closing.

- No much reliable improved result after multiple technical support calls, it may work for a while, then same thing go to circle. Again, they suggested go to to Sprint Repaired Shop, after checked up the device with my notebook, he said it's normal. Proved by multiple instant speed tests, witness by himself: around this rate DL 0.12MB, and UL: 0.05MB. Questioned him those speeds are normal ? then he called Sprint Tech support, I did not know what is going on, but he shutdowm my PC and told me after 24 hours it would be OK. Give me a break !

- Tried to cancel my plan, but just 6 months of 2-year contract, they still charged me $190. I could not afford it !

-4G connection, reason for me switch from Verizon, is a picture cake !

What is alternative solution ?
tjquang is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > 3G/4G Data Connection Devices > U301: Slow Speeds and Poor Reception

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: