Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
steveymacjr
All EVO! Until WP7

Mood: Pregnant
Phone: Megaphone
My Mood: Pregnant
SU$: 8,107
Wirelessly posted (some touch: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

This is a bummer Http://www.wsj.com/article/SB1000142...ch_LEFTTopNews

subscription required...

Last edited by steveymacjr; 03-09-2010 at 09:50 AM.
steveymacjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
BerryChic
another word 4 thesaurus?

Mood: Amused
Phone: hTC EVO
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 31,957
wow... that truly is a bummer

BerryChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
ceb
Account Inactive

Mood: Cynical
Phone: Treo BB 9630
My Mood: Cynical
SU$: 5,885
Wow - I didn't even know that Sprint was playing Verizon. Was this a post-superbowl game?
ceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
KingCoop
Phone Whore

Mood: Inspired
Phone: iPhone 4
Trades: 2
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 1,615
I can't see the whole article but that may just be talking about the NFL RedZone channel (which is awesome by the way). Sprint is probably still the Official Mobile Provider for the NFL.

But like I said I can't read the whole article so I may be wrong. OP or someone else with a subscription can you copy and paste the whole article in the thread please.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
BASHBRO
Formerly BusyBeingBrutal

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: LG Optimus Q
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 3,134
Send a message via AIM to BASHBRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCoop View Post
I can't see the whole article but that may just be talking about the NFL RedZone channel (which is awesome by the way). Sprint is probably still the Official Mobile Provider for the NFL.

But like I said I can't read the whole article so I may be wrong. OP or someone else with a subscription can you copy and paste the whole article in the thread please.
This is all I could get right now.

NFL and Sprint parting ways on April 1

Sprint and the National Football League (NFL), partners for the past five years, will part ways on April 1.

"After a thorough review of terms and costs involved in renewing this sponsorship agreement, we determined it was in Sprint's best interest to part ways with the NFL." said Steve Gaffney, vice president-Corporate Marketing. "Employees and customers should know that we are thrilled with the popularity of NFL Mobile Live and the exclusive content Sprint brought to the NFL fan base. To that end, we are developing a new football application that will include both professional and college football coverage, and we will continue to provide a fan-friendly experience and other sports-related apps and content."

This decision does not impact our affiliation with individual NFL teams like the Kansas City Chiefs, Washington Redskins, Indianapolis Colts and several others. We will continue to sponsor the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association - both continue to be valuable pieces of our overall marketing strategy.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
steveymacjr
All EVO! Until WP7

Wirelessly posted (some touch: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

copy amd pasting would be illegal .... towards the end of the article it states that Sprint is no longer the official wireless provider, and Verizon is..
BTW if you search for this article via google news you'll get free access..
Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
grydlok
Climbing in your Window

Mood: Fine
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Fine
SU$: 4,543
Send a message via AIM to grydlok Send a message via Yahoo to grydlok Send a message via Skype™ to grydlok
From what I read else where Sprint didn't lose it they passed on it since NFL jacked the price up.
grydlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
w7excursion
Hit Boy

Phone: Blk N4 & Wht S4
Trades: 10
SU$: 116,505
Love football so I watch it on my tv not my phone. But this is another negative for Sprint.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #9
steveymacjr
All EVO! Until WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grydlok
From what I read else where Sprint didn't lose it they passed on it since NFL jacked the price up.
yup, verizon is paying 50% more than what Sprint paid, per year.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Perveeus
Account Inactive

Phone: HTC TP2
SU$: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by grydlok View Post
Yep that's how I read it.
If ppl want live football that much on their little handheld screens, just get some alternative delivery method like slingbox mobile.

Seriously, the NFL may have been a hood ornament for SPRINT like NASCAR is now but it was pretty much worthless 99% of the time.

I watch live sporting event off my Slingbox all the time with no subscription to pay for.
It's high time we quit paying extra to these carriers & cable companies for content we can get somewhere else for free.

http://news.google.com/news/more?um=...vxvqsNgart0j7M

Last edited by Perveeus; 03-09-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Perveeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
grydlok
Climbing in your Window

Mood: Fine
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Fine
SU$: 4,543
Send a message via AIM to grydlok Send a message via Yahoo to grydlok Send a message via Skype™ to grydlok
The real story is how the NFL is nuts, they are going to still charge their sponsors for a product that after next season will I'm 92% sure will be in a lockout. They are going to fill smaller teams this fall so they won't have any over head and starve players out.
So if when the lockout occurs Verizon will still be on the hook for the entire bill after next season.
grydlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
BASHBRO
Formerly BusyBeingBrutal

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: LG Optimus Q
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 3,134
Send a message via AIM to BASHBRO
Yep, as my post above states " we are developing a new football application that will include both professional and college football coverage, and we will continue to provide a fan-friendly experience and other sports-related apps and content " Guess we'll just have to wait and see what this new app is all about.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
BerryChic
another word 4 thesaurus?

Mood: Amused
Phone: hTC EVO
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 31,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBeingBrutal View Post
Yep, as my post above states " we are developing a new football application that will include both professional and college football coverage, and we will continue to provide a fan-friendly experience and other sports-related apps and content " Guess we'll just have to wait and see what this new app is all about.
let's just hope its as promising as it sounds... we gotta have our football scores (on the go!) at least

BerryChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
Perveeus
Account Inactive

Phone: HTC TP2
SU$: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by grydlok View Post
The real story is how the NFL is nuts, they are going to still charge their sponsors for a product that after next season will I'm 92% sure will be in a lockout. They are going to fill smaller teams this fall so they won't have any over head and starve players out.
So if when the lockout occurs Verizon will still be on the hook for the entire bill after next season.
I don't understand the fascination with watching great live sporting event on a miniscule screen. Scores are 1 thing & that can be had via a bunch of outlets on the move but watching a streaming game??

Almost a billion dollars from their subs to pay for this endeavor...is just crazy.
Perveeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 8,421
Keeping up with the scores is great, but watching it on the phone was never my idea of a good thing.

Is there a SU member that is really disappointed with the NFL-Sprint alliance going away? The way I see it, you can always get game updates (and scores) on ESPN's mobile website when not watching it on a tv.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: