Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
leicabug
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Touch Pro 2
SU$: 2,384
What fees do Best Buy, Radio Shack and Sam's Club Charge?

I am thinking about upgrading my phone through Best Buy, Radio Shack or Sam's Club. Do they charge activation fee and/or upgrade fee in addtion to the phone price? I am a credit union member so I can get upgrade fee waived but not the activation fee: http://www.lovemycreditunion.org/fil...t%208.5x14.pdf
They are cheaper and don't need to deal with the mail in rebate.
Thanks for any help.
leicabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
IanM
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Pre
SU$: 382
We recently upgraded my wife's line at Radio Shack (Centro > Pre) and the following showed up on our next bill -
Device Upgrade Activation Fee $19.26
(I assume it's $18 plus the 7% NJ tax)

The rep at The Shack told us there would be the fee, so it wasn't a bait and switch or anything like that.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
ceb
Account Inactive

Mood: Cynical
Phone: Treo BB 9630
My Mood: Cynical
SU$: 5,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicabug View Post
I am thinking about upgrading my phone through Best Buy, Radio Shack or Sam's Club. Do they charge activation fee and/or upgrade fee in addtion to the phone price? I am a credit union member so I can get upgrade fee waived but not the activation fee: http://www.lovemycreditunion.org/fil...t%208.5x14.pdf
Thanks for any help.
It is hard to say.

I upgraded two phones at BB and wasn't charged a fee (although the paper I signed said there would be a fee) but a few weeks later swapped out a phone under TEP and the charge appeared on my bill (althogh it shouldn't have.)

Most people have had luck getting the charge removed.

Plan on paying the fee and be happy if you don't.
ceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
bigchico68
Crop Circle User

Mood: Inspired
Phone: iPhone 5
Trades: 1
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 30,177
Send a message via AIM to bigchico68
Quote:
Originally Posted by leicabug View Post
Thanks for any help.
I don't believe radio shack or best buy charge a activation fee of their own, but Sprint does charge a $18 upgrade fee.
bigchico68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Places like Sams Club wireless often run promotions waiving the new line of service activation fee.

Upgrade fee's are charged by Sprint, though apparently the 3rd party seller can uncheck the fee and the customer is not charged. It seems that waiving the fee will cost the seller part of their commission, which is why they tell you to contact Sprint to have the fee waived.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 8,421
If you're a Premier customer, Sprint will, er should, waive the upgrade fee automatically.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
trendholder
Telegraph User

SU$: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_ole_truck View Post
If you're a Premier customer, Sprint will, er should, waive the upgrade fee automatically.
That's what I was "told", but obviously I had to call 3 times to get the fee removed.
With Sprint, NOTHING is automatic.
trendholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
jcsprint2009
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 3,333
For Premier customers, the fee is automatically refunded within 1-2 bill cycles. To me, that's dumb. I don't know how many times I've had customers call in about seeing on their bill and then have to explain to them that the system will waive it.
jcsprint2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsprint2009 View Post
For Premier customers, the fee is automatically refunded within 1-2 bill cycles. To me, that's dumb. I don't know how many times I've had customers call in about seeing on their bill and then have to explain to them that the system will waive it.
Yeah, that is dumb. I had a rep explain that to me, but I had been previously told in the past that with a state employee business discount (premier or not) that the fee is not supposed to be charged.

My account is not premier, yet. It should be in the next month, and the rep went ahead and just gave me a credit for the $18 plus the taxes.

I wouldn't have a problem paying an upgrade or activation fee if I choose to activate a device with a phone rep, but paying to access a computer to have the privilege of renewing my contract and getting a new device is just insane.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
jcsprint2009
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 3,333
I don't agree with those stupid fees either. I assume it's a way for Sprint to recoup some of the commission fees paid to reps, internal and external, but it makes for a lousy customer experience.

I used to waive them left and right before we were told we weren't allowed to waive them any more unless a supervisor did it.
jcsprint2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
trendholder
Telegraph User

SU$: 125
I am a premier customer (been over 2 years as premier), and those fees were never refunded AFTER 3 bills.

No, the fees were NOT automatically refunded within 1-2 bill cycles, unless you CALL.

Yes, most of us will "forget" about the fees in 2-3 months, and Sprint WILL pocket the blind $$$.

Another bad shady business practice.
trendholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
Noodle
Meh, I'm me.

Mood: Ninja
Phone: Sexy Black S4
Trades: 2
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 46,519
Wirelessly posted (Noodle's Phone: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14320/958; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendholder
I am a premier customer (been over 2 years as premier), and those fees were never refunded AFTER 3 bills.

No, the fees were NOT automatically refunded within 1-2 bill cycles, unless you CALL.

Yes, most of us will "forget" about the fees in 2-3 months, and Sprint WILL pocket the blind $$$.

Just out of curiosity how have you been a Premier customer when the program has just hit a year. :-)
Noodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
scotchpop
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
Wirelessly posted (Noodle's Phone: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14320/958; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Just out of curiosity how have you been a Premier customer when the program has just hit a year. :-)
2 years (in number of years, not 24 months)

Last edited by Quill; 03-08-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: removed rude comment
scotchpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #14
Sk3lleton
The only Hellan Timist

Mood: Stressed
Phone: Palm Pre
My Mood: Stressed
SU$: 3,151
Send a message via Yahoo to Sk3lleton
For a new line, $36 activation, and for an upgrade it is $18.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #15
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 8,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendholder View Post

I guess I'm lucky. Sprint's monthly statement, following my phone upgrade, charged me the $18 upgrade fee than immediately credited the account the same amount. No waiting for the charge to be waived in my case.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: