Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
The Fish
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro 2
SU$: 262
google calendar sync on non-'smartphone'

Second line uses old LG Rumor which can currently view/sync with Google calendar using Seven app.

Considering a new phone such as Exclaim or Reclaim. Or waiting on LG Rumor touch version.

Does anyone have any experience with view/sync of google calendar using native calendar from sprint in a non-smartphone. Would rather not use app and rely on native support.

I contacted e-care with this questions and got the instructions below to setup gmail account which will sync email and calendar also. Interested to see how this is working for anyone. Thanks!

From e-care:
You can follow the steps for Google account as Reclaim do not require a
download because the software is built into it:

-The account must set up in Google account for Gmail on a PC.

-During online setup, you have to enter their Sprint phone number.

-Google sends a confirmation SMS text message with a validation code to
phone.

-Then enter the confirmation number on their PC to complete the account
setup.

-After completing the setup, access Sprint Mobile Email Work from the
phone, select GMail or GCalendar.

-Follow the prompts to complete the setup on the phone.

Last edited by The Fish; 01-26-2010 at 07:22 PM.
The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
the_details
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung Epic
SU$: 2,086
My wife has a Reclaim, and I have an Exclaim on my contract for a friend. The interface is nearly identical, but the Exclaim has more screen estate and a bigger keyboard, while the Reclaim feel snappier (faster), has a standard size headphone jack and the keyboard is better supported in apps*.

As far as Google Calendar, I haven't tried to configure it on the Exclaim, but I have on the Reclaim. I'm pretty sure the steps the tech told you to do are mostly unnecessary, because that sounds like the steps to set up txt messaging reminders for new email and calendar events. All I did was configure her phone's email app to get her gmail, and the calendar worked. Here's the catch, though: only her main calendar syncs. I think this is just how it works because I've seen other people with different phones (Blackberries) complain about it. It wouldn't be a huge issue, but she and I have personal calendars and a shared family calendar, and she only gets her personal on her phone.

Also, she had been using the web to access google calendar, and about a month ago it stopped working citing a "Redirect Error" anytime she tried to visit google.com/calendar with the stock browser (Opera Mini still works). this is what prompted me to look into alternatives, and lead to my experience with the built in app.

*Opera Mini doesn't support the keyboard on the Exclaim, but it works perfectly on the Reclaim, for example. All text must be entered using number pad on the Exclaim.
the_details is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_details For This Useful Post:
The Fish (02-13-2010)
Old 02-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
The Fish
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro 2
SU$: 262
good info. thanks!
The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
the_details
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung Epic
SU$: 2,086
No problem. It was weird timing that I had recently gone through that, so I thought I would throw you a bone. It isn't often that I have the exact knowledge of the exact hardware in question.
the_details is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Network & Data Quality /Airave & Related Services > google calendar sync on non-'smartphone'

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: