Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Fat Tony
Uncle Tony

Mood: PMSing
Phone: SIII
My Mood: PMSing
SU$: 4,348
My ESN is blocked for non payment? How do I fix it?

I sold a phone on Ebay. The ESN is blocked by Sprint because of an old bill. IT IS NOT STOLEN, it's blocked / linked to an account that has a past due bill.

Is there any way to fix it? I don't want a negative on my Ebay account! There has to be a way around this. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Pay the old balance, thats the only way to fix it
Old 01-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #3
thecheet
Nothing to it but to do it

Phone: Evo 4g
Trades: 15
SU$: 11,205
^^^ What he said. You have to pay your bill. Sprint will not release it until then.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Fat Tony
Uncle Tony

There has to be another way. It's an old account with an unpaid balance. The phone isn't stolen or lost.

How can they do this? I didn't lease the phone, I purchased it outright. Paid for it in full. No contract, etc.

There's gotta be way around the bill thing. I am not activating it and it's not a family member. I sold it to a complete stranger on the internet.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
KB112
Currently G'd up

Mood: Breezy
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 21,203
Sounds like it's their way of holding it hostage. I bet it's totally legal too. Like my uncle who owned his car outright but didn't finish paying the mechanic who fixed his transmission. He put a "Mechanic's Lien" on the car. Couldn't be sold, bought, registered etc until that bill was paid in full and the mechanic released the lien. Sounds like you gotta do the right thing and pay the money you owe before profitting on a sale.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
DanDroid
{{{D R O I D}}}

Mood: Cool
Phone: SGE4GT
Trades: 2
My Mood: Cool
SU$: 3,008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Sprint will not activate the device until the old balance is paid. I've been through this before with a device I bought that supposedly had a clean ESN.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
ceb
Account Inactive

Mood: Cynical
Phone: Treo BB 9630
My Mood: Cynical
SU$: 5,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
There has to be another way. It's an old account with an unpaid balance. The phone isn't stolen or lost.

How can they do this? I didn't lease the phone, I purchased it outright. Paid for it in full. No contract, etc.

There's gotta be way around the bill thing. I am not activating it and it's not a family member. I sold it to a complete stranger on the internet.
There is no other way. Either pay the outstanding balance or that phone will never be activated by Sprint.

In the meantime, you're going to need to give your customer a refund and pay him postage to ship your phone back. You sold him a phone that can only be used as a doorstop until you pay off the remaining balance.

That is the way it is - live with it.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
The device wont be activated on the Sprint network. Sprint doesnt have to activate the device as it is associated with an unpaid balance.

I'd bet that this same thing happens with other services, like St TV stuff that you may "own" but the company wont activate.

In the end, Sprint gets to choose to activate or not to. Depending on your state, the device may be removed from the "blacklist" after u7 years, certainly not fast enough for your ebay transaction.

Offer the buyer a full refund and get the device back. You have been a member on here long enough and certainly could have found this out in advance with just 5 minutes of research. Either way you will be out something, it just depends on what your willing to deal with.
w7excursion (01-23-2010)
Old 01-24-2010, 01:51 AM   #9
aau007
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Bored
Phone: Shift
Trades: 8
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 16,686
Quote:

Think of it this way. You most certainly bought the phone and it is YOUR phone. Sprint is not trying to repossess your phone. They just won't let that phone back onto their network until YOU, the owner who last used that phone on Sprint's network, pay up all the outstanding bill. In all reality, you AND the phone are probably blacklisted on Sprint if you still have an outstanding unpaid bill.

In CA, if you have an outstanding parking ticket, the city puts a lien on your car registration and you won't be able to renew until you pay your parking ticket. Therefore, making your car illegal to drive on the road without a valid registration. Do you still own the car? Yes. Can you still drive it on the road? Legally no. Can you sell your car? Yes but the new owner won't be able to register the car until someone pays off the lien.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:46 AM   #10
laurkar2006
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: HTCLTE/PhontonQ
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 17,204
Send a message via Yahoo to laurkar2006
I agree and I am a person who just got a phone off ebay and cannot use it because the seller has a past bill on it so I too just bought a doorstop, put yourself in our shoes, you pay good money for a used cell phone and it cannot be used, I have a case going with ebay and paypal towards the person that sold me the phone...and yes if it is not solved they will get a negative mark agianst them, so I think you should refund the money and pay the bill, how would you feel if the shoes was on your foot, do you think it is fair to us that think they are buying something that can be used just to find out the seller was a fraud??
Rumor Flex, 2 lines with Samsung Galaxy S4Q

Nites free at 6 on all lines
Old 01-24-2010, 05:49 AM   #11
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 8,421
I'm going to join the rest of the herd on this topic.

Make your customer whole. Pay the refund and shipping. Get the ESN situation fixed if you so desire. Otherwise, the phone won't be anything more than a decorative paper weight or dust collector.

Last edited by big_ole_truck; 01-24-2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
recithree
master electrician

Mood: Happy
Phone: note 2
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 7,405
something i ponder.if you know that your going to default on a sprint plan can you switch to a cheapo phone and let that phone be blacklisted and the good phone be free and clear.(dont plan to do and does seem wrong if you do it with intent)
Old 01-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #13
Fat Tony
Uncle Tony

I never thought of skrewing the customer, that was the furthest thing from my mind. I don't screw individuals (just major corps.).

%&*#! I offered a refund.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
laurkar2006
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: HTCLTE/PhontonQ
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 17,204
Send a message via Yahoo to laurkar2006
Quote:
I never thought of skrewing the customer, that was the furthest thing from my mind. I don't screw individuals (just major corps.).

Glad to hear you offered a refund, now lets just hope the person that did the same thing to me is going to see the lite as you did and offer me a refund too....that would be nice..
Rumor Flex, 2 lines with Samsung Galaxy S4Q

Nites free at 6 on all lines
Old 01-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #15
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 8,421
Quote:

You did the right thing. Good to know. So what are you going to do with the phone now?

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: