Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
livingaboard
Telephone User

SU$: 1,792
what happens if lost phone is found?

I accidentally left my new HTC Hero at the Atlanta airport this weekend. I filled out a lost and found claim with the airport and also filled out a claim with Assurion online. I figured they would never find my phone and that the insurance company might need some kind of proof of a lost phone.

My replacement phone is supposed to be here any minute but the Atlanta airport just called and stated that they found it and it will be shipped to me in about ten days.

Assurion stated on their website that there are no refunds of any kind.

I would rather just have my original phone, assuming it is not damaged and still works, and my $100 back.

I will keep the new phone if I have too.

Anybody have any experience with this?
livingaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
No, Asurion now is the owner of the device. It is likely that the replacement will be a new device based on how recent the Hero came out, but either way they still own it. The possible solution would be sending them back the replacement, but either way you are out the $100.

It sucks, but that's how it goes. It's no different than if your car insurance paid out on the claim for a stolen car and it was later recovered. The recovered vehicle is their property, and you are still out the deductible.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
KB112
Currently G'd up

Mood: Breezy
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 21,182
Technically you could sell it as a "parts" only phone on eBay or something I guess. Assurion would never know you physically received the phone back. Right???
KB112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #4
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB112 View Post
Technically you could sell it as a "parts" only phone on eBay or something I guess. Assurion would never know you physically received the phone back. Right???
Yeah, its thinking like that which causes the deductible to go up constantly as well as the program fees. They need devices returned to refurbish them and send them out as replacements or else they have to buy all new devices at a much higher cost. Asurion wont stay in business if they are losing money, so they will just recover it by raising the deductible yet again
Old 01-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
KB112
Currently G'd up

I totally understand and hear where you are coming from. However this is one of those fine line cases. Owner finds phone before replacement is even received, at a bare minimum charge him the full deductible and upon safe return of the replacement, refund him $75 or keep a small "processing" fee. Assurion is not out the shipping expense and they get their replacement back, everybody wins.

If the phone had been found by some random Joe or truly stolen, Assurion wouldn't likely have a chance in hell of ever seeing it again. This is not an uncommon thing for them to never see the phone. If your stolen vehicle is recovered, it's true you do not get to keep it. But you can remove your personal effects and often return it to stock and remove any mods you did to it. As well as having the option to buy the car back at a discounted rate, as it is now considered a salvaged titled vehicle. The guy just wants to use his original phone assuming it works. Seems like they should just allow the return and everyone will be happy. My 2 cents.

KB
Old 01-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
ryan1918
Account Inactive

Phone: i9
SU$: 1,716
Dan, your totally wrong, they insurance is just like car insurance people scam, are going to scam, it's never going to change or stop, any time they get screwed they get to claim it as a loss on there taxes, they lose ZERO, nothing, but they claim to lose millions and it's a crock of crap, they make billions off us, and use this as a excuse to jack up rates, fees, or any other crap they can stick us with, you think they care about you? HA they are laughing at you right now counting there billions with there money counting machines..

Think of the 100 million people a month that DON'T lose there phone, or never claim a thing.. now times that by a year, 100 million x 12 = Now that's over a billion dollars a year they are getting, if they get a 100 million in claims, they profit 90% = CHING CHING $$ , get it?

I keep them and sell them, well for nextel at least, because they use sim cards, and you can still use stolen, phones, sprint is different they lock the ESN number so it cannot be used, but they are ways around this, or it can be sold for parts on ebay, which can be nice as they go for close to what they are worth.. not too good but oh well, they screw us, why can't we screw them.

Last edited by ryan1918; 01-20-2010 at 07:05 PM.
ryan1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
ceb
Account Inactive

Mood: Cynical
Phone: Treo BB 9630
My Mood: Cynical
SU$: 5,885
The solution is very simple. Call Asurion and tell them the phone was found then ask them to credit you the $100 as you will be returning their replacement phone in the unopened package to them. You'll be out a few bucks for postage but that is the only correct thing to do.

Otherwise you'll have to return your "found" Hero to them. Why do these threads always turn into ethical issues when the actual answer is simple.

You paid for insurance, they replaced it and the original phone belongs to them.

Dan is spot on.
ceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan1918 View Post
Dan, your totally wrong, they insurance is just like car insurance people scam, are going to scam, it's never going to change or stop, any time they get screwed they get to claim it as a loss on there taxes, they lose ZERO, nothing, but they claim to lose millions and it's a crock of crap, they make billions off us, and use this as a excuse to jack up rates, fees, or any other crap they can stick us with, you think they care about you? HA they are laughing at you right now counting there billions with there money counting machines..

Think of the 100 million people a month that DON'T lose there phone, or never claim a thing.. now times that by a year, 100 million x 12 = Now that's over a billion dollars a year they are getting, if they get a 100 million in claims, they profit 90% = CHING CHING $$ , get it?

I keep them and sell them, well for nextel at least, because they use sim cards, and you can still use stolen, phones, sprint is different they lock the ESN number so it cannot be used, but they are ways around this, or it can be sold for parts on ebay, which can be nice as they go for close to what they are worth.. not too good but oh well, they screw us, why can't we screw them.
You can, you can also choose not to pay for the coverage and not feel screwed. By your mentality, they "owe" you a 2nd phone because you have paid the X in premiums. You fail to realize the replacement device costs them money, even if its a refurb. heir are overhead costs, shipping costs for the device, refurbishment costs, and if you end up with a brand new device, you have a far higher cost to the company.

Simply put, you agree to return the device if you find it. If Asurion found that you had located it and were selling it somewhere, they could legally charge you a "non-return fee" which would surely wipe out any profit you figured you would be getting. If they really wanted to push it, they are the rightful owner of the replaced device and could go with a legal route and have you charged with selling "stolen" property, as the device is no longer legally yours.

Quote:
I totally understand and hear where you are coming from. However this is one of those fine line cases. Owner finds phone before replacement is even received, at a bare minimum charge him the full deductible and upon safe return of the replacement, refund him $75 or keep a small "processing" fee. Assurion is not out the shipping expense and they get their replacement back, everybody wins.

If the phone had been found by some random Joe or truly stolen, Assurion wouldn't likely have a chance in hell of ever seeing it again. This is not an uncommon thing for them to never see the phone. If your stolen vehicle is recovered, it's true you do not get to keep it. But you can remove your personal effects and often return it to stock and remove any mods you did to it. As well as having the option to buy the car back at a discounted rate, as it is now considered a salvaged titled vehicle. The guy just wants to use his original phone assuming it works. Seems like they should just allow the return and everyone will be happy. My 2 cents.

KB
They might, but I doubt they will just charge $25 or whatever for the shipping. It may depend on the rep you get when you call about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
The solution is very simple. Call Asurion and tell them the phone was found then ask them to credit you the $100 as you will be returning their replacement phone in the unopened package to them. You'll be out a few bucks for postage but that is the only correct thing to do.

Otherwise you'll have to return your "found" Hero to them. Why do these threads always turn into ethical issues when the actual answer is simple.

You paid for insurance, they replaced it and the original phone belongs to them.

Dan is spot on.
The problem is, people seem to think that it costs Asurion nothing to get the refurbished device. Even if it was a device returned on a 30 day trial, it still has to be "refurbished" and that costs money, as well as shipping etc.

A general comment:

People seem to assume that they have the right to "get one over" on the insurance company. Making a claim for a device requires you to return the "lost" device if it is found. Any other option is not condoned on here, and promoting it can lead to warnings and possible bans. We have rules about promoting fraud, and promoting the non-return of a device and to sell it or keep it is fraudulent.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
ceb
Account Inactive

Mood: Cynical
Phone: Treo BB 9630
My Mood: Cynical
SU$: 5,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
...A general comment:

People seem to assume that they have the right to "get one over" on the insurance company. Making a claim for a device requires you to return the "lost" device if it is found...
>>ceb get's on his soapbox<<

Yes, I'm a bit dismayed at this mentality - which unfortunately seems to be evident in many walks of life (it is OK to cheat on taxes, take something from a large store, lie about what happened to get your car fixed under warranty, get your doctor to write you a sick note, tell Sprint we work for Citi/AOL/Accenture to get their discount.)

Like you said, this is what runs up the cost of insurance, car repairs, the cost of milk - and cell phone prices.

we, as a society, need to start following rules again. When we signed up for the insurance, we were given (either in paper form or as a link) a copy of the terms and conditions. If we don't agree to abide by them, then we shouldn't sign up.

We expect Sprint/Asurion/GM/VW/BMW whomever, to live up to their side of the bargain - we must start to live up to our side.

We raise holy hell when Sprint raises fees by 40 cents a month, but moan and groan when we're placed on an ASL because "we were only late with our payments and Sprint can afford it."

It is a two way street. If we expect Sprint to stay in their lane then we need to stay in ours.

>>ceb gets off his soapbox, trips and falls<<
ceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Dan
Forever my Angel

The real issue is, companies like Asurion wont operate at a loss. If their comfort level of profit goes down they will just raise the fee's and deductibles.

Look at Verizon, where TEP is $7.99 a month for the same coverage, and they charge something like $119 or 129 for a smart phone to be replaced. They also use Asurion, and if its necessary they will just raise the rates with Sprint again.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
KB112
Currently G'd up

I hear you guys and totally respect your opinions. I just think in certain situations that a middle ground could and should be meet. I don't condone someone purposely reporting a phone stolen and selling it or anything like that. I just think the person here should have an opt-out in this situation. If the replacement phone is active and being used I can see them saying no way. But if you find the phone and your replacement isn't even here yet.....I think it should be an easy deal to just ship it back.

KB
Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
I hear you guys and totally respect your opinions. I just think in certain situations that a middle ground could and should be meet. I don't condone someone purposely reporting a phone stolen and selling it or anything like that. I just think the person here should have an opt-out in this situation. If the replacement phone is active and being used I can see them saying no way. But if you find the phone and your replacement isn't even here yet.....I think it should be an easy deal to just ship it back.

KB
I see the point, but its not the norm for Asurion. It would take a rep who was willing to accept the device back and credit you for part or all of the deductible they charged you for.

It likely happens so infrequently its not even worth them establishing some special policy over.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #13
KB112
Currently G'd up

True, I would at least try though. Maybe he'll luck out and it will be a BNIB? I have never even played with an Android/Google phone yet. So I assume you buy all these widgets/apps for them. I hope you can download to your PC and save them to transfer to your phone. Otherwise it would suck if they were directly downloaded. You lose or break your phone and you can be out some $$$ to replace all the stuff you already bought.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Total Equipment Protection > what happens if lost phone is found?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: