Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 01:28 AM   #1
maxfieldd
Telegraph User

Phone: Tour
Trades: 1
SU$: 521
Tips/tricks to get the best wimax reception

I thought a thread on stratagies everyone is using to improve the quality of their signal would be helpful.

So far I have found that the orientation of the modem - I am using the 150 - is really important. For instance, I know that my closest tower is about .75 miles due north of me (thanks jess101); so I point the front of my modem - opposite the plug on the skinny side - in that direction. It could be silly but in that orientation I get 3 solid bars and an intermittent 4th bar. I have also noticed that elevation does not really affect my signal.

Let me know your experience.

By the way - speedtest.net shows my location as Idaho so that's why it indicates my distance as 1400 miles. I am in Austin so I picked a server in San Antonio.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
jess101
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Pre
SU$: 508
Send a message via Skype™ to jess101
maxfieldd - I personally find that if I point the side of the modem with the Motorola and Clear logos on them, that I can get the best signal, but others may get different results. I start out by knowing where all the tower locations are around me and work with the closest one. I then place the modem on that side of the house and start with the logos pointed toward the tower. I will rotate it about a 1/8 turn at a time and wait about 15 seconds before turning it again. I'm looking for the maximum number of lights at this time.

Once I get the max amount of lights on the modem, I log in to the modem admin and check the RSSI and CINR readings. I move the modem a little at a time to max out these readings. I'm more concerned about the CINR than RSSI, but both are important. I'm 1.78 miles from my closest tower and get a pretty steady 5 bars with an RSSI around -64dB and a CINR of 24-26 dB. These readings give me very good download and upload speeds.
jess101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
maxfieldd
Telegraph User

Man, this is becoming a bit of an obsession. I have checked everyplace in my house and the best I can do is 3 steady bars/-74/13 (rssi/cinr). I have even tried outside. I know the signal has a lot to do with what is between you and the tower but I am about half the distance from the closest tower compared to you and have not seen five bars. A cinr of 25 dB seems unlikely from my location. I am really happy with the product and service; but I can't help wanting that fourth and fifth bar. I have been dreaming up a plastic box on the roof...
Old 12-13-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
bv72
Telegraph User

SU$: 87
lucky you...

I have 3 bars and only getting less than 1meg down and half that on the up. The hotel I stayed at for a couple of weeks has 2 bars consistently and got 3+meg down and 1+meg up..
bv72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
TECH
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Sprint TP2!!!
SU$: 2,006
yall waisting yall time if yall on clear clear modems are made to have sucky speeds that y i switch to sprint 4g i get 2 bars and i get 5 to 6 mps when i get full bars mine are 11mps
TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
bv72
Telegraph User

umm, I'm on sprint 4g here. U300...
Old 12-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
TECH
Cordless Phone User

dam thats odd
Old 12-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
maxfieldd
Telegraph User

I didn't know there was a difference. I thought Clearwire, Clear and Sprint Wimax/4g were the same product; just re-badged for different audiences.

Correct me if I am wrong but if I am on Clear and you are on Sprint 4g, we are using the same towers and equipment on the provider side. If you are addressing the hardware on the consumer side I guess some of what you said made... something?

In any case I evaluated both services and Clear was a better value.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
TECH
Cordless Phone User

well clear halts urs speed nasty like hella nasty sprint doesent

i had way much better service with sprint then clear

look at this page im not the only one that are having issues and been since 07

http://clearwiresucks.com/blog/
Old 12-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
jess101
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Pre
SU$: 508
Send a message via Skype™ to jess101
Here's the #1 tip for getting Clear WiMAX service. ALWAYS have someone come out and check your signal strength and performance BEFORE you purchase residential or fixed location service, whether contract or month to month. Every city that sells the service has reps. that will do this for you for FREE. If you don't mind the hassle of the cancellation process, then go ahead and take your chances.

When you purchase online or at a location that does not offer to do this for you, you're going off someone checking a coverage map that says you SHOULD have a signal for your address. I had a recent location that did not get a good signal indoors at .37 miles from a tower, with two other towers within a mile each. Stucco and energy efficient windows probably killed that one.

If someone comes out, checks your signal strength, sets up using YOUR network, and tests your speed and performance, chances are, you'll be happy with it after they leave. Using the residential modem for fixed services can definitely be hit or miss.

Last edited by jess101; 12-14-2009 at 01:10 PM.
jess101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
TECH
Cordless Phone User

the employes modem are made to get full speed so the custumer will think its getting full speed as soon as u get one it starts slowing down ive seen this lots of time i got kick out of the store for taking my sprint 4g and looking at a custumers clear connecting it there and seing the employes clear the employes was going 7 mps custumers 200 afther they have bought it we waited 20 min and still my sprint 4g was going 12 mps the custumer cancle his account there and still charge them the cancle lation fee even afther barely opening so the custumer sued the company and they kick me out lol teh employe was so pist off
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
bv72
Telegraph User

Sprint's PRL update on the U300, fubar'ed my 2nd device. Thursday my 30 days are up... so I'm done with the 4g for now. It's great when it works, but really frustrating when it doesn't 2 devices in 30 days? Shesh... figure it out sprint and pull the PRL update! I sat in a Sprint store for 3 hours on Saturday letting them troubleshoot my 1st device for them just to replace it. I take part responsibilty for the 2nd device, I knew better, but it is REALLY persistent about updating the device ( and I turned off auto-update ) and miss clicked in the window... and alakazam... a 4g only device. Doesn't do me a lot of good when I'm in the office and have only 3g service.

Good luck everyone. Hopefully U301 will be better, but right now i'm not holding my breath. I love my Pre. It can do what I need to and gets just as good download speeds as my 4g service in the apartment.... go figure.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
TECH
Cordless Phone User

dam that suck im on second one and been working badass for me
Old 12-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
maxfieldd
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH View Post
the employes modem are made to get full speed so the custumer will think its getting full speed as soon as u get one it starts slowing down ive seen this lots of time i got kick out of the store for taking my sprint 4g and looking at a custumers clear connecting it there and seing the employes clear the employes was going 7 mps custumers 200 afther they have bought it we waited 20 min and still my sprint 4g was going 12 mps the custumer cancle his account there and still charge them the cancle lation fee even afther barely opening so the custumer sued the company and they kick me out lol teh employe was so pist off
Tech, I had the opportunity to get out today with the usb clear modem - usb 25100 - and I had some incredible speed. I am not sure if you just had bad luck or are misinformed but it seems like my speed is not capped. Results below.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #15
TECH
Cordless Phone User

well ill be dam those are nice speeds but can they stay up there thoe
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Network & Data Quality /Airave & Related Services > Tips/tricks to get the best wimax reception

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: