Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
kgmallory
Just a nerd w/ a badge and a gun.

Phone: Bold 9650
SU$: 2,370
Have to Have GMAIL Account for Android?

So I just got my Moment and have been rather excited, until now. I have a Google account for calendar, etc. I do not use GMAIL, and never will, unless they can get some additional domains users can choose from.

When I connect to sync and setup my Google apps on my phone, it asks me for my Google account info. I put it in, then it returns saying that the account is not linked ot GMAIL and tells me to setup a new account. If I already have a Google account, why do I need a GMAIL account? I'm not interested in created a second Google account when I already have my calendar and other Google apps. setup in my current one.

So, is a GMAIL account really REQUIRED to use the Google features on an Android phone? Is there a work around?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
ezgoer25
Telegraph User

Phone: htc hero
SU$: 221
Not sure of the answer, but is it a problem for you to create a Gmail account? It's not like you have to use it.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
liqidvenom
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: HTC Hero
SU$: 3,963
why not take the phone back and get a non google phone if it is bothering you that much.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Gibsohnn

Trades: 3
SU$: 9,210
Yes, you HAVE to have a GMAIL account to use the Market...not just a Google Calendar account. As stated above, it's not an email account you have to use, think of it more as a "log in" to the Market.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
boo5ted
Telephone User

Phone: HERO
SU$: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
why not take the phone back and get a non google phone if it is bothering you that much.
Exactly.
Got dang auto text lol
Old 12-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Taubin
Lurker

Mood: Sneaky
Phone: Evo 3D
My Mood: Sneaky
SU$: 2,562
If you own your own domain, you can use that for your email as well, as long as it's using the google mail through google apps. http://www.google.com/a

I use google mail on my main domain for my email and calendar, and the email addresses are all user@domain.com not user@gmail.com
Old 12-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
kgmallory

Quote:
That's like cutting off your whole arm because you have a broken finger.

I like the phone, but this aspect of the Android platform seems silly. Why can't Google make their software work around their customers instead of the other way around. Google does some neat stuff, but not everyone has or wants a GMAIL account.

But in this case, I had to break down and do it. Thankfully, I was able to find a simple GMAIL address that did not require I include a bunch of random numbers. I've always had very simple firstnamelastname@domain.com e-mail addresses, and preferred to keep it that way, even if I don't use it. I guess I'm just a little OCD.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
TheEsupremacy
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Cool
Phone: Galaxy S3
My Mood: Cool
SU$: 5,995
Having a Gmail account is crucial to owning an Adroid based phone. You want one, trust me. It backs up all your info and contacts so if you ever want to reset your phone back to factory you just log in under your Gmail account and it downloads all your import info back to your phone. It's a convienence, really. You don't need one though. You can also store mulitple email addresses. So, make a Gmail address and use it for just your phone.

Last edited by TheEsupremacy; 12-05-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
kgmallory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEsupremacy View Post
Having a Gmail account is crucial to owning an Adroid based phone. You want one, trust me. It backs up all your info and contacts so if you ever want to reset your phone back to factory you just log in under your Gmail account and it downloads all your import info back to your phone. It's a convienence. You don't need one though.
That's fine, but why can't they do that with just a regular Google account, instead of an actual GMAIL account? It seems to me that the only direct benefit of having a GMAIL address is.....well, I can't think of one. Everyone who buys an Android phone is already going to have an email account. Why make us get another one, when we can just create a Google account under our current email address?

I guess it's a moot point by now, and not really worth making an issue of. But it still kinda bugs me. We'll see if I stick with a Google phone a year from now or if I go back to BB or WinMo.

Last edited by kgmallory; 12-05-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
dlichterman
Super Moderator

Mood: Sleepy
Phone: 3VO
Trades: 5
My Mood: Sleepy
SU$: 18,725
They push your gmail and have google chat. Thats why they want you to use gmail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmallory View Post
That's fine, but why can't they do that with just a regular Google account, instead of an actual GMAIL account? It seems to me that the only direct benefit of having a GMAIL address is.....well, I can't think of one. Everyone who buys an Android phone is already going to have an email account. Why make us get another one, when we can just create a Google account under our current email address?

I guess it's a moot point by now, and not really worth making an issue of. But it still kinda bugs me. We'll see if I stick with a Google phone a year from now or if I go back to BB or WinMo.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #11
Natty_lite
Cordless Phone User

Phone: DX
SU$: 5,326
Quote:
Best solution to the problem. No reason to hassle yourself with the burden of a free Gmail address.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
apuzilla
Telegraph User

SU$: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgmallory View Post
That's like cutting off your whole arm because you have a broken finger.

I like the phone, but this aspect of the Android platform seems silly. Why can't Google make their software work around their customers instead of the other way around. Google does some neat stuff, but not everyone has or wants a GMAIL account.

But in this case, I had to break down and do it. Thankfully, I was able to find a simple GMAIL address that did not require I include a bunch of random numbers. I've always had very simple firstnamelastname@domain.com e-mail addresses, and preferred to keep it that way, even if I don't use it. I guess I'm just a little OCD.
just putting this out there ... but you dont need to create a WHOLE new email address to use gmail if you already have a google account ... you login to your google account and "activiate" your gmail ... keeping everything the same BUT with a ***@gmail.com addded on

Hope this help and i do agree with you this is a VERY MOOT point ... which its just a email address. That you will not have to use ever again BUT if you decide to buy apps it needs a gmail account to be able to reference the bought apps and if any case your phone dies permanently or burns up or you drop it in the lake ... you connect your info to the new android phone and everything from contacts to apps will be redownloaded.

Hope this helps

1. HTC Hero- 2. HTC Evo - 3. Blackberry Style (for now)
Old 12-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
liqidvenom
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty_lite View Post
Best solution to the problem. No reason to hassle yourself with the burden of a free Gmail address.
i just didnt understand what the big deal is when the gmail account is free.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
kgmallory

Quote:
Originally Posted by apuzilla View Post
just putting this out there ... but you dont need to create a WHOLE new email address to use gmail if you already have a google account ... you login to your google account and "activiate" your gmail ... keeping everything the same BUT with a ***@gmail.com addded on

Hope this help and i do agree with you this is a VERY MOOT point ... which its just a email address. That you will not have to use ever again BUT if you decide to buy apps it needs a gmail account to be able to reference the bought apps and if any case your phone dies permanently or burns up or you drop it in the lake ... you connect your info to the new android phone and everything from contacts to apps will be redownloaded.

Hope this helps
That's what I ended up doing yesterday and researching it. I was glad that I was able to keep my calendars and contacts in my existing Google account and only had to add GMAIL to it, instead of making a separate account.

Last edited by kgmallory; 12-05-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
kgmallory

Quote:
i just didnt understand what the big deal is when the gmail account is free.
Just because something is free doesn't mean that it was wanted or needed. And your right, it really isn't a big deal. I didn't think I was making it a big deal. All I was doing was asking a simple question to see if there was a workaround. Obviously some people thought it was a bigger issue than I did.

While I don't agree with the requirement, it definetely isn't worth returning the phone over (WTH to whoever suggested that). All in all it's a good phone, with good features, and good services, so I'll stick with it for the time being.

I think it's about time for a thread lock. Admins., do your thing.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Have to Have GMAIL Account for Android?

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: