Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
OKSOONERFAN
Now With T- Mobile

Phone: Samsung
Trades: 1
SU$: 6,758
Send a message via MSN to OKSOONERFAN Send a message via Yahoo to OKSOONERFAN
PDAnet and Sprint

After reading about PDAnet in one of the forums here I decided to give it a try on my Samsung Ace.It worked perfectly,and I got really decent downloads and was able to play games on my laptop etc.My question is this:if I use PDAnet to get online,will I be charged Data by sprint? I have an Unlimited data plan,and have heard that using PDAnet I would not have to have PAM.Is this true,and is there actually a limit to the amount of data that can be downloaded?

What i ultimately want to do is get rid of my in home internet line and ust se PDAnet since it also lets me take my laptop in the Motorhome,and the car when i am on the road.Any help would be appriciated.
OKSOONERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
VisionsDivine
I actually hate phones

Phone: My landline lol
Trades: 6
SU$: 8,970
Personally, I hate PDAnet because it goes through a proxy and compresses all the data. Your speeds will be a little slower than if you went through a program like WMWifiRouter or if you simply hacked the built-in connection tool. But for what it is, PDAnet isn't too bad.

Sprint can't tell whether you're tethering or not with PDAnet. There'll be people on here who will tell you that you'll get charged or get your connection cut if you go past 5GB, but that's all fear, uncertainty, and doubt they're spreading. The reality is that your data connection is truly unlimited. You're also not going to get charged anything, even if they do catch you. The casual usage rate is $30.72 a megabyte, and Sprint doesn't trust people with casual data usage.

Still, you're not going to get caught since Sprint isn't allowed to sniff data packs. Privacy laws work in your favor here. I'd say go ahead and cancel your home line.
VisionsDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
OKSOONERFAN
Now With T- Mobile

Thank you for the information I really appreciate it.Where I live the cable and satellite ocmpanies screw their customers price wise all the time.A 5 mb package is $60 a month,and that is unacceptable to me,when I can pay a one time charge of $34 and use PDAnet.their doownload here is around 3 mb which,whille not super fast,is plenty for what I do,the games I play are NOT super data intensive,and the rest of my use is news,sprintusers and research.

It should be fine and the trial has worked great,and with my traveling with the motorhome to the Nascar events,and to my clients ( i sell custom graphics for racing teams). I really thank you for your help
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
boomhower
Digital PCS User

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: 4S ordered
Trades: 5
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 31,956
Be careful on how much data you use. Tethering is expressly forbidden. If you start pulling down north of the 5GB unofficial cap you will get a nastygram. Continue to do and they can discontinue your service. Is it common, no. Can it happen, yes. And yes thay can bill you for the data you tether, but again it is an extremely rare occurrence.

To the above poster that says Sprint can't tell if you are tethering or not is just plain wrong. Now whether they the method they use is legal or not is a different matter. But the fact is I don't see anyone that gets billed or their service cut of is going to have the resources to sue Sprint for violating their privacy. If they had those resources they would easily be able to afford a mifi to start with. It just isn't going to happen to enough people to get a class action suite started. Just some things to keep in mind. With all that said, yes I also tether.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
OKSOONERFAN
Now With T- Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Be careful on how much data you use. Tethering is expressly forbidden. If you start pulling down north of the 5GB unofficial cap you will get a nastygram. Continue to do and they can discontinue your service. Is it common, no. Can it happen, yes. And yes thay can bill you for the data you tether, but again it is an extremely rare occurrence.

To the above poster that says Sprint can't tell if you are tethering or not is just plain wrong. Now whether they the method they use is legal or not is a different matter. But the fact is I don't see anyone that gets billed or their service cut of is going to have the resources to sue Sprint for violating their privacy. If they had those resources they would easily be able to afford a mifi to start with. It just isn't going to happen to enough people to get a class action suite started. Just some things to keep in mind. With all that said, yes I also tether.
If Sprint were to cancel my account,according to my Lawyer,sprint would be sueable for advertising "unlimited" internet when in fact they ARE limiting you to 5gb.THis is a deceptive practice,it IS illegal,and sprint can be held liable for it. regardless of what the fine print says.it is the word UNLIMITED that is used by sprint.so let them try and i will sue for false advertising,fraud,and decptive practices.It has happened before to verizon and at&t and I am sure will happen to one of the carriers againn when they try to enforce their 5 gb "unlimited: web access.

and how can tethering be "forbidden" when in fact sprint has PAM which allows tethering, FORBIDDEN means FORBIDDEN to everyone,not to "only those who pays us money" don't offer PAM if it is forbidden. Does it say specifically you cannot tether when you sign a contract? I do not know, but I am curious.

And if they are saying unlimited,but with a 5gb cap,then they are being deceptive,you cannot have unlimited,witha cap,that is having your cake and eating it too.I know Sprint is not the only carriier that has this stupid rule,but if I am payying for "unlimited" internet,than I damn sure am entitled to unlimited internet,otherwise say it is a MAXIMUM of 5gb for x dollars a month,and then if I go over you have the right to say something and charge me for the data.

Last edited by OKSOONERFAN; 12-06-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
jigwashere
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: LG G2
SU$: 1,834
So far what I'm getting from this thread is, "he said, she said" or simply, "don't worry, be happy." I'm sure you folks are credible, but I don't know you and you haven't sited the sources of your information. Unless you can site specific facts, wouldn't it be best to simply state your own experience?

I don't mean to preach to you guys, so sorry if I'm coming off that way. I just get frustrated when someone states that Sprint can or can't do something, then other contradict that person, yet neither party provides sources for their information. I'm also not impressed -- ever -- by what someone's lawyer says. I've had too many lawyers tell me one thing, only to be either proven wrong in court or just buckling under because the costs of going up against a corporate giant would be too expensive.

On that note, here's my experience. I have a Palm 755p and have been using the PhoneInterfaceLibrary_tether_hack.prc for about 2 years with no trouble and no hint from Sprint about it. My tethering, however, is very limited. I tether both via bluetooth and USB cable. Some months I don't tether at all; other months I use it and my data usage climbs to about 3GB or so. I have a 1Mb download plan in Minneapolis through USIWireless that costs me $15/month, so that's primarily what my family uses at home. When I'm out and about, I'll sometimes tether my netbook if I can't get a better WiFi signal elsewhere.

I hope that's a little helpful!
jigwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
VisionsDivine
I actually hate phones

Here's my evidence: in all the years of this forum or any other mobile phone forum, have you ever seen a thread in which someone posts getting charged for tethering? I've pulled in about 30GB before in some months without getting contacted by Sprint. Yeah, it's probably not the best idea to download movies all day long, but it sounds to me like that's not what the OP is going for. If all he's doing is gaming, streaming videos, and surfing, then I can't see why that would redflag Sprint.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
OKSOONERFAN
Now With T- Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicpoet View Post
Here's my evidence: in all the years of this forum or any other mobile phone forum, have you ever seen a thread in which someone posts getting charged for tethering? I've pulled in about 30GB before in some months without getting contacted by Sprint. Yeah, it's probably not the best idea to download movies all day long, but it sounds to me like that's not what the OP is going for. If all he's doing is gaming, streaming videos, and surfing, then I can't see why that would redflag Sprint.
really all I need it for is when I am in the motor home at the NASCAR and motorcycle events I attend to order custom parts,send the graphics that are needed to the printers and keep track of clients.I also use it to surf for general info,get on e-bay,and order food and pay per view from my mobile satellite provider,and of course get on sprintusers
Old 12-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #9
jigwashere
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: LG G2
SU$: 1,834
Quote:
Good points. Sorry if I offended.
jigwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
VisionsDivine
I actually hate phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigwashere View Post
Good points. Sorry if I offended.
This is dhe Internetz. I try not to take anything too seriously. But yes, citing is good. We don't always see that in these forums, but it's always good when people make exorbitant claims. "You'll get charged per kilobyte if you get caught." Ok, the casual usage rate is $0.03 per KB. That comes out to $30.72 a MB. If you used 15GB tethering, that's $460,800 in data charges.

I've seen it happen in other countries, but not America.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
JonathanFIUWx
one of the few remaining original SU members

Mood: Asleep
My Mood: Asleep
SU$: 5,807
Quote:
This is dhe Internetz. I try not to take anything too seriously. But yes, citing is good. We don't always see that in these forums, but it's always good when people make exorbitant claims. "You'll get charged per kilobyte if you get caught." Ok, the casual usage rate is $0.03 per KB. That comes out to $30.72 a MB. If you used 15GB tethering, that's $460,800 in data charges.

I've seen it happen in other countries, but not America.

haha heres a 62000 dollar bill and whats halarious is the guy said, i cant count, thats why i quit school

Any comments written by me, are a personal discussion based on my own views, and not that of my employer or anyone outside of this user
PROUD PREMIUM DATA CUSTOMER:
http://www.androidcentral.com/man-wh...s-worth-forums

Last edited by JonathanFIUWx; 12-06-2009 at 03:15 PM.
JonathanFIUWx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
VisionsDivine
I actually hate phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanlc2005 View Post
haha heres a 62000 dollar bill and whats halarious is the guy said, i cant count, thats why i quit school

lol, yep, I've seen that one, too. There was also a guy with a $96,000 Sprint bill posted around the same time as that one. Sprint messed up a lot of bills for customers that month for some reason.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
OKSOONERFAN
Now With T- Mobile

ok nso now you all have me worried

I was pretty confident that I cou.d use PDSnet without an issue,but now ,after the last post, I am thinking maybe I should not.All i was trying to do was avoid paying PAM every month when I do not use it often enough for downloading stuff to matter.I just wanted it to avoid paying my home carrier for internet,since even at home I raely down load big files,a game once in a while,but mostly I get mail,go on e-bay etc But you all make
it sound like I may get huge bills from sprint
.I am now not sure what to do.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
VisionsDivine
I actually hate phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKSOONERFAN View Post
I was pretty confident that I cou.d use PDSnet without an issue,but now ,after the last post, I am thinking maybe I should not.All i was trying to do was avoid paying PAM every month when I do not use it often enough for downloading stuff to matter.I just wanted it to avoid paying my home carrier for internet,since even at home I raely down load big files,a game once in a while,but mostly I get mail,go on e-bay etc But you all make
it sound like I may get huge bills from sprint
.I am now not sure what to do.
whoa! Don't misinterpret what I said. The people who got those bills got misprints from Sprint. The guy with the $62,777 phone bill was only supposed to get one for $627.77 (because of his own overages). The $96,000 phone bill was supposed to be $96. I know this because the read the comments on the YouTube page and the video poster clarified that.

You're not going to get busted for tethering. To date, there has not been a single person in America get overages for tethering on any network provider.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
OKSOONERFAN
Now With T- Mobile

Quote:
whoa! Don't misinterpret what I said. The people who got those bills got misprints from Sprint. The guy with the $62,777 phone bill was only supposed to get one for $627.77 (because of his own overages). The $96,000 phone bill was supposed to be $96. I know this because the read the comments on the YouTube page and the video poster clarified that.

You're not going to get busted for tethering. To date, there has not been a single person in America get overages for tethering on any network provider.
Oh ok.Thank you for clearing that up.My wife saw that video and freaked out ,LOL.
I am glad to know that no one has gotten in trouble for it,and i am noot going to worry about it.but my god a $96,000 I would be nuts
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > PDAnet and Sprint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: