Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
bigchico68
Crop Circle User

Mood: Inspired
Phone: iPhone 5
Trades: 1
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 30,177
Send a message via AIM to bigchico68
Exclamation SMS ISSUES!! (HTC Is Working On A Fix!)

Issue Title:
HTC Hero (A6277) - Unable to receive SMS, cannot be resolved via Hard Reset

Posted Date:
10/26/2009

Issue Type:
Known Issue

Description:

An issue has been identified where the Hero by HTC may enter a state where the device is unable to receive SMS and cannot be resolved thru standard troubleshooting up to and including a Hard Reset, ##786, and software reflash.

Action: Policy Exchange

When the device runs out of available memory a system flag is set indicating that there is no memory available to receive incoming messages. The device requests a retry, and the network will continue resending for 72 hours. Currently there is no field accessible method available to bring a device out of this state, however HTC is working to develop both a short and long term solution that will be communicated when available.

The best method of prevention currently is to ensure adequate memory is available on the device to prevent the flag from being set.

If the this issue is encountered, follow the steps below:

Back up all customer data from the device.
Power the device off.
Hold the Home and Back buttons then press the End/Power button.
Follow the on screen prompt to clear all user data.
One the reset is complete, test the ability for the device to receive SMS. This can be done by sending a test message then confirming it has been received via the SMS network tool (Intercarrier/Metcalf/ICSMS).
If the issue persists, exchange the device and return the unit via the EFFA process until this article is updated with a solution.
We are investigating an additional issue that may cause devices to intermittantly receive an SMS but not display the message to the user. This issue is distinguished from the above in that it is resolved by a soft or hard reset. No exchange is neccesary for the intermittant unable to receive SMS issue, we will post an additional KI when a solution is available.
bigchico68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigchico68 For This Useful Post:
elguapo76 (10-26-2009)
Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
kylejack
Telephone User

Phone: Sanyo MM-5600
SU$: 773
That is a different SMS issue than most are having...
kylejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
bigchico68
Crop Circle User

Audio Issue on Hero!! (This is also being worked on)

Issue Title:
HTC Hero (A6277) - Right channel routed to both sides when using 3.5mm headset plug without mic

Posted Date:
10/19/2009

Issue Type:
Known Issue

Description:

If a 3.5mm wired headset without an in line microphone (see image below) is used with the HTC Hero, the right audio channel will be heard through both left and right audio channels.

Action: Workaround

If both left and right channels are required recommend use of a headset with in line mic or a 3.5mm headset adapter with in line mic to allow full stereo output.

This issue will be addressed in the first software MR for the Hero by HTC.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
mobilehavoc
Telephone User

SU$: 1,329
This is troubling in that how do you know you're not receiving SMS/texts if you don't get them!? Seems paradoxical.
mobilehavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #5
elguapo76
Telegraph User

SU$: 290
I have personally experience this issue. What's even worse it was brought upon by the phone mysteriously eating away at my ROM memory all by itself. It went from from 70-80mb free down to 0 in the course of two days. I tried erasing apps and it would only momentarily regain ROM memory. Then I noticed I had stopped receiving sms and voicemail messages. I called Sprint twice they finally recommended I return it to Best Buy as there was a "bad batch". My new phone is experiencing a similar ROM leak. I am trying to track down the issue to see if it is caused by an app. I posted what I have found on this thread so far:
http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-...low-space.html

Also I posted this information on the SMS issue on androidforums along with a link to spread the word.

HTC if you are reading this we really need an update!!!
elguapo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #6
Tikerz
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Hero
SU$: 282
Thanks for posting!

I only 41MB available space in internal phone storage. That's low right? I have been experiencing SMS issues. The delayed ones and not at all.

Last edited by Tikerz; 10-26-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Tikerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
SLOYAROLE
Telegraph User

Phone: HERO
SU$: 85
I didn't know I wasn't receiving my text messages until my wife called me from the grocery store ticked-off that I was responding to her. Those messages I never got. A day or two later, while at home, I received a text from my wife that she sent way earlier in the day. I'm talking 5 to 6 hours earlier. This has been an issue that makes me want to take the phone back.
SLOYAROLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
Tikerz
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Hero
SU$: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOYAROLE View Post
I didn't know I wasn't receiving my text messages until my wife called me from the grocery store ticked-off that I was responding to her. Those messages I never got. A day or two later, while at home, I received a text from my wife that she sent way earlier in the day. I'm talking 5 to 6 hours earlier. This has been an issue that makes me want to take the phone back.
I'm experiencing the same thing periodically. If something is not done soon, I'm going to be forced to go back to my Pre. Everything was always on-time with it.
Tikerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
bigchico68
Crop Circle User

Well they do know about the issue so a fix will definitely be out as soon as possible.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #10
rquinn19
Telephone User

Phone: Touch Pro 2
SU$: 821
I loved the Hero but this is what made me return it and go the Pre instead. I'll probably go back to an Android device later with a better processor and a couple other things I'd like to see in it. I change phones too often and therefore did not want to sit and wait for these fixes, 1.6 or 2.0 etc. And who knows when or if ever there will be a way to root the cdma hero.
rquinn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
italiangspot
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Amused
Phone: HTC EVO 4G
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 6,604
thanks for posting this issue .. so they are not exchanging devices just basically hard resetting the phone and releasing memory ...
Join DropBox free with this link and we both get an extra 250MB of space
DropBox Referral
italiangspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
sleepyEDB
Telegraph User

Mood: Sleepy
My Mood: Sleepy
SU$: 316
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rquinn19 View Post
And who knows when or if ever there will be a way to root the cdma hero.
HTC has already released the source code for the Hero. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hero is rooted before it sees the 1.6 or 2.0 updates.

sleepy

"The road of life is rocky and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley
sleepyEDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #13
Star444
Now with Ting!

Phone: Evo 3D on Ting
Trades: 7
SU$: 9,818
The post says the best way to avoid the text problem is to ensure adequate memory is available. Dumb question... How do I check to see how much memory is available on my Hero? And, how much is a good amount?

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
mobilehavoc
Telephone User

SU$: 1,329
Anyone know if they are talking about RAM or ROM? If it's RAM it should theoretically not happen unless you have a rogue 3rd party app that eats all your memory. If it's ROM, then it's partly your own fault for loading too much crap on your phone when there's no space left. My guess it's ROM - since it makes sense the phone can't receive SMS if there's no space to store them.
mobilehavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
elguapo76
Telegraph User

SU$: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
Anyone know if they are talking about RAM or ROM? If it's RAM it should theoretically not happen unless you have a rogue 3rd party app that eats all your memory. If it's ROM, then it's partly your own fault for loading too much crap on your phone when there's no space left. My guess it's ROM - since it makes sense the phone can't receive SMS if there's no space to store them.
They are talking about the ROM. Even worse I have discovered a serious ROM memory leak that eats away at the ROM under certain circumstances. I have had two phones that do the same thing so I can only guess that it is widespread and triggered by some people's normal usage patterns. I have documented it on video and am uploading it to youtube as I write this. I will post it here.
elguapo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > SMS ISSUES!! (HTC Is Working On A Fix!)

Tags
hero, htc, sms problem

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: