Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Geniuz650
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Hero
SU$: 269
Dust in the screen?

How does dust get in under the screen of the Hero? I wipe my screen but there's like still dust under that screen. Is there anyway to clean it? Who else has this happen to?
Geniuz650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Captain Slow
Drug User

SU$: 473
After just three days I already have dust under my screen. Granted it's only literally one spec (that you can only see under bright light when the screen is off), but the fact that one made it under there so quickly doesn't exactly show great promise for the next 2 years!

Unlike phones like the Pre, where the screen and surround share a single, non-divided layer, the Hero has, as you can see, a really small gap all around the screen. Supposedly this gap should be sealed up pretty well, but as we can see, not that well!! I have no idea if one can clean it... how would you even get under there?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Noj
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Lurking
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 1,717
I have a couple of specs in the lower right corner that I noticed the other day.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
dnal0r
Telegraph User

SU$: 448
reminds me of the good old days when i use to mod up my nokias with trick express shells and led batteries...

the dusts come from y0 linty pockets :]
the only way to clean it is to open the sucker up and blow em away... easier said than done, of course...

good thing i never pocket mine
dnal0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
wowcro
Telephone User

Phone: Evo Shift / Evo
SU$: 2,749
yeah got two specs on mine. Oh well it's only noticeable under flourecent light when the phone is off...
wowcro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
mattred
Telegraph User

SU$: 406
This happened a lot with my Blackberry. Fingers crossed, it hasn't happened yet with my week-old Hero, but I could see it happening given the build of the phone/screen.
mattred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
dnal0r
Telegraph User

SU$: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattred View Post
This happened a lot with my Blackberry. Fingers crossed, it hasn't happened yet with my week-old Hero, but I could see it happening given the build of the phone/screen.
so you're implying that the hero is cheaply made? i personally think it feels quite solid and nicely built...
dnal0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
dereileak
Computer Geek

Phone: Hero
SU$: 1,052
Send a message via MSN to dereileak Send a message via Skype™ to dereileak
yep, I am now having this issue, can you just blow in it to get the dust out? its in the top right, top left, and bottom left corner.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
scott5626
Telegraph User

Phone: Hero
SU$: 363
I like my Hero but...these daily issues that continue to rare up with dust,lag, battery,messaging repeats,incorrect time zone,constant killing of apps are making me want to trade this phone in today.

I realize that some of these issues will eventually be fixed with firmware updates but some issues will not be fixed.

I couldn't help but notice when my phone has been charging all night and I pick it up to check emails or whatever it does not wake up so to speak right away, for instance I will touch the notification area and the weather will pop up or the alarm...kinda annoying.
scott5626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
yugoli
Telegraph User

Phone: Sprint Hero
SU$: 56
the dust thing sucks majorly but i think they are aware of the issue.

link
yugoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
mobilehavoc
Telephone User

SU$: 1,329
I have a bunch but only notice it under direct sunlight when the screen is off. I will be trying to suck it out with my Dyson vacuum tonight That thing is crazy powerful and if anything can suck out the dust, that's it. Will post back.

BTW, it doesn't make sense to swap out the HTC Hero for another one now since they're all going to have the same problem. If HTC is aware of the issue and fixes it, it can take months for the new production back to make it into circulation and I'd want to know if there's a way to identify which is the new batch, etc. Apart from dust issue, my Hero is perfect so not worth the hassle.
mobilehavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
yugoli
Telegraph User

Phone: Sprint Hero
SU$: 56
keep us updated with the dyson!
yugoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
Geniuz650
Telegraph User

SU$: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
I have a bunch but only notice it under direct sunlight when the screen is off. I will be trying to suck it out with my Dyson vacuum tonight That thing is crazy powerful and if anything can suck out the dust, that's it. Will post back.

BTW, it doesn't make sense to swap out the HTC Hero for another one now since they're all going to have the same problem. If HTC is aware of the issue and fixes it, it can take months for the new production back to make it into circulation and I'd want to know if there's a way to identify which is the new batch, etc. Apart from dust issue, my Hero is perfect so not worth the hassle.
It's not much of a hassle, just walk into the store and ask for an exchange lol.
Geniuz650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
mattred
Telegraph User

SU$: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnal0r View Post
so you're implying that the hero is cheaply made? i personally think it feels quite solid and nicely built...
No I'm not; I'm implying there's a lot of space between the screen and the casing and I could see how dirt would make its way in there easier than with other phones. The phone itself does feel pretty solid and weighty.
mattred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
mobilehavoc
Telephone User

SU$: 1,329
The Dyson works!!
mobilehavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Dust in the screen?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: