Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
mobilehavoc
Telephone User

SU$: 1,329
CONFIRMED: Fix for HTC Hero "Dialer" keeping phone awake!

Read through this thread for background: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/23043

The solution is to download ChompSMS from Marketplace. It's a free app that's highly customizable and even allows you to send/receive free SMS if you wish. But the real beauty is that this app actually works normally and doesn't screw up your phone. You can send/receive texts with ChompSMS just like your regular Messages app but this one is more configurable and customizable. It also doesn't stop your phone from sleeping like Messages appears to do.

So go download ChompSMS, install. Then restart your phone to make sure you clear out the Dialer issue since you probably had it. Now starting with a rebooted phone ONLY use ChompSMS...do NOT use Messages. You should be golden. So happy, that Android's openess makes something like this possible, no need to wait for a patch for Messages, just replace it!
mobilehavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mobilehavoc For This Useful Post:
adambomb6 (10-14-2009), scottkag (10-15-2009), Vertigo (10-15-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
jonnythan
Cucumber Cowboy

Phone: Nexus S
SU$: 5,025
I downloaded Power Manager instead. You can set profiles for how long the screen stays on during a call.

ChompSMS is neat, but slows the phone down too much.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
jonnythan
Cucumber Cowboy

I'm confused, it seems, after reading that thread. What does ChompSMS actually do with regards to the dialer?

And what do you mean "clear out the dialer issue"? How does one do that? It's not clear from the thread.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
MillerTyme
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Hero
SU$: 249
not saying your wrong, but according to taskiller i have messages running (and have had it running all morning) and i am not having the 100% awake problem (or close to that), im at like 20% awake. I was however having this issue the first 2 days i had the phone (had not restarted since activated/downloaded ton of apps etc...) but since i restarted it i have not had any issues with the battery. Also according to the other thread here i was under the impression it was a problem with the dialer. Either way its something that appears to be affecting a decent amount of people, but clearly not everyone. So it is 99% likely it is software related and therefore should be pretty easily fixed soon.
MillerTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
mobilehavoc
Telephone User

When you send a text message using Messages it causes the Dialer process to keep your phone in a partial wakelock that both drains your battery fast and slows it down. This is confirmed by several people. For THOSE people that are having this issue, the solution is to install ChompSMS and use that in lieu of Messages. It works fantastically for me...I've send/received a bunch of SMS and my Dialer process does not have that partial wakelock thing going.

If you do not have this problem, then good for you

BTW...you may want to check out ChompSMS anyway, it's pretty great.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
mobilehavoc
Telephone User

The only guaranteed way to make sure your phone is not having the wakelock issue is to restart it (power off/power on) hence clearing the issue. It will start again once you send a text message. So what I'm saying is install ChompSMS, restart your phone and then ONLY use ChompSMS and not Messages. Voila.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
jonnythan
Cucumber Cowboy

So is installing and using ChompSMS the only thing you have to do? What do you mean by fixing the dialer issue? How does one do that?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
MillerTyme
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Hero
SU$: 249
so in theory to test this, i can restart my phone, send a text, power off the screen, wait 5 min, turn it on and check on vs awake time?
MillerTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #9
Awake
Timeless

Phone: EVO
SU$: 12,111
I liked Chompsms, it works great... for SMS, you're able to copy/paste txt as well. The only issue I have is, Chompsms only works with SMS, you cannot attach pics or video like you can with the native message app.
Awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 PM   #10
othersteve
Telegraph User

Phone: Sprint Mogul
SU$: 226
Seems to fix it for me. Now I wonder what this will really do for battery life...

Thanks for the troubleshooting fix!

To quickly clarify for the above users, a wakelock is a low-level programming function that allows a process to tie up resources in pursuit of a specific resolution--in short, it keeps the device awake for whatever reason the developer intends. There are similar functions with PC architecture as well in use by Windows, such as pushlocks.

Steve
othersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
mobilehavoc
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTyme View Post
so in theory to test this, i can restart my phone, send a text, power off the screen, wait 5 min, turn it on and check on vs awake time?
Ok everyone can do this as a test. Simple:

1) Restart your phone. Send a text with Messages app. Turn screen off/sleep your phone. Wait 5 mins and check uptime vs awake time. Should be close to 100%

2) Restart your phone. Send a text with ChompSMS OR probably any other SMS app in Marketplace. Turn screen off/sleep your phone. Wait 5 mins and check uptime vs awake time. Should be much much lower.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
mobilehavoc
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post
So is installing and using ChompSMS the only thing you have to do? What do you mean by fixing the dialer issue? How does one do that?
The Dialer thing is misleading, it's some process called Dialer that is causing the problem and it seems to be triggered every time you send a text using the built in Messages app. When you restart your phone it clears the issue until you send the first text message with Messages.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
adambomb6
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Evo
SU$: 1,170
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc View Post
The only guaranteed way to make sure your phone is not having the wakelock issue is to restart it (power off/power on) hence clearing the issue. It will start again once you send a text message. So what I'm saying is install ChompSMS, restart your phone and then ONLY use ChompSMS and not Messages. Voila.

Thanks for the post and link...I tried this and it does seem to be actually working for me, i'll give it a day to be sure. I understand what you are saying about the partial wake lock that the messages app is having. Probably an easy thing to update, but in the meantime these other mms apps will work out just fine.
adambomb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
jonnythan
Cucumber Cowboy

OK I did a little experimenting.

Installed ChompSMS and sent an SMS using Chomp. Confirmed that the phone sleeps properly. Sent an MMS using Messages. Phone still sleeps properly. Sent an SMS using Messages. Phone no longer sleeps properly.

So Messages is still OK to use to send MMS, but not SMS.

Interesting development.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
mobilehavoc
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post
OK I did a little experimenting.

Installed ChompSMS and sent an SMS using Chomp. Confirmed that the phone sleeps properly. Sent an MMS using Messages. Phone still sleeps properly. Sent an SMS using Messages. Phone no longer sleeps properly.

So Messages is still OK to use to send MMS, but not SMS.

Interesting development.
That's even better, so you can still send MMS via Messages but not SMS. Makes sense, MMS uses a different transport/tech than SMS. Something in the Messages SMS process is f'ed up.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > CONFIRMED: Fix for HTC Hero "Dialer" keeping phone awake!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: