Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Squegee

SU$: 33
Unhappy Move a number from one Sprint account to another?

Is it possible to move a phone number from one Sprint account to another?

Here's the long story:
My wife and I currently both have older Sprint phones, on an older voice only plan (contract is complete). The account is in my wife's name.

I wanted to upgrade both our phones to Palm Pre's and to the everything data share plan. I see that Amazon is offering the phones for $99.99. Cool. So I called Sprint and they said the phones were $150 and they wouldn't match the price or give me any incentives. I asked why I shouldn't just buy from Amazon and they had no reason.

So I bought the phones from Amazon and signed up for the plan. However, the account was opened in my name. Amazon emailed me two new phone numbers. I had an online chat with Sprint customer service and they said transferring the old phone numbers to the new phones wouldn't be a problem and I should call customer service to take care of it.

Well, I called customer service today to make the switch and they said no way, absolutely cannot be done. That I should ship the phones back to Amazon and then upgrade my old plan through Sprint and pay the $150. The service person I talked too was not very nice and accused me of trying to game the system.

Options as I see them:
1. Go with the new phone numbers, cancel the old
2. Return the new ones (likely there's a fee) and stick with old or switch to a new carrier.
3. Park the number with a prepaid phone (assuming this works)
4. ?

Thanks.
Squegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
ryn

Phone: Hero
SU$: 643
I had a very similar situation. My girlfriend was out of contract on her own account, I added an EPRP line to my account for her. We then had to do a transfer of liability, So I then had 3 lines. Then they swapped the new lines number with the old and canceled the old line. For some reason the plans got changed around a few times and my bill looked all funky, but I came up even.

So if you TOL your wifes account to your new one, I'm almost 100% sure someone cna swap the numbers around and then drop the unneeded 2 lines...
ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
bigchico68
Crop Circle User

Mood: Inspired
Phone: iPhone 5
Trades: 1
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 30,177
Send a message via AIM to bigchico68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squegee View Post
Is it possible to move a phone number from one Sprint account to another?

Here's the long story:
My wife and I currently both have older Sprint phones, on an older voice only plan (contract is complete). The account is in my wife's name.

I wanted to upgrade both our phones to Palm Pre's and to the everything data share plan. I see that Amazon is offering the phones for $99.99. Cool. So I called Sprint and they said the phones were $150 and they wouldn't match the price or give me any incentives. I asked why I shouldn't just buy from Amazon and they had no reason.

So I bought the phones from Amazon and signed up for the plan. However, the account was opened in my name. Amazon emailed me two new phone numbers. I had an online chat with Sprint customer service and they said transferring the old phone numbers to the new phones wouldn't be a problem and I should call customer service to take care of it.

Well, I called customer service today to make the switch and they said no way, absolutely cannot be done. That I should ship the phones back to Amazon and then upgrade my old plan through Sprint and pay the $150. The service person I talked too was not very nice and accused me of trying to game the system.

Options as I see them:
1. Go with the new phone numbers, cancel the old
2. Return the new ones (likely there's a fee) and stick with old or switch to a new carrier.
4. ?

Thanks.
when you buy phones from places like amazon you have to keep them activated for a certain amount of time, Sprint won't let you swap them over until that time is met. You might be better off canceling your old lines if you are out of contract on them, other would be cheaper to return the phones and buy from Sprint.
bigchico68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
mrstak
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Sleepy
Phone: HTC Touch Pro2
My Mood: Sleepy
SU$: 4,522
If his old lines are OOC, couldn't he port out to a prepaid...then after making sure its okay with his amazon phones, port back in his old numbers? Or does amazon require that you use the numbers they gave you?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
notoriouspyro
Now reppin Sprint ATS!!!!

Phone: HTC Evo 4g
SU$: 142
Negative. We no longer allow porting out to prepaid services such as boost or virgin. THe only porting would be going to a seperate company.
notoriouspyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
RanGT
Telegraph User

Mood: Amused
Phone: Palm Pre
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchico68 View Post
You might be better off canceling your old lines if you are out of contract on them, other would be cheaper to return the phones and buy from Sprint.
Agree, by buying from Amazon you save $100. But you'll lose that savings with two individual data plans. The family share data is great.
RanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouspyro View Post
Negative. We no longer allow porting out to prepaid services such as boost or virgin. THe only porting would be going to a seperate company.
I think they would have to allow you to port to Virgin, as Virgin is not a Sprint company. Having said that, its probably more economical to port to another service provider and then port back.

Barring a port to the independent Virgin mobile would likely violate FCC rules on porting. Boost is a different story, but until VM is fully owned by sprint they would have a hard time explaining the refusal to the FCC / FTC.

Port it to a carrier like PagePlus cellular. $10 to activation, might even be free with a port, and their airtime cards are good for 120 days. If you are worried about the minutes, you could choose their $39.99 unlimited talk and text plan and be able to take a bit of time to port back.
valuequest (11-11-2010)
Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 AM   #8
Terry K
Telegraph User

Phone: Iphone 4s
SU$: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouspyro View Post
Negative that. The FCC will tell you otherwise. If Sprint is blocking ports to Boost or Virgin its a blatently clear FCC violation
Terry K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
diveborg
journeyman electrician

Mood: Blah
Phone: LG Optimus
My Mood: Blah
SU$: 29,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squegee View Post
That would be the way to do it with the least hassle, IMO. Go with a couple of cheap t-mobile prepaid phones. Nokia 1661 Prepaid is $19.95. Then when you are done with the porting you can sell the phone and recoup some of the cost.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #10
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry K View Post
Negative that. The FCC will tell you otherwise. If Sprint is blocking ports to Boost or Virgin its a blatently clear FCC violation
It's not technically a "port" to boost mobile, which is basically a marketing name for the Sprint/Nextel iDEN prepaid service. Virgin is not a fully owned Sprint company though (yet anyways) so it would be a "port" to virgin mobile.

If you transferred the number to a boost line and then wanted to transfer it back to a sprint account, you would probably run into issues. Its less likely with Virgin, and far less likely with another carrier's prepaid service.

I believe that technically Sprint could cite the fact that it was a special plan you were on and that they would allow the number(s) to be transferred back, but on a standard plan if they so choose. That would not violate any FCC rules, as they were not denying the transfer / port but where restricting the plan you were able to use it on.
valuequest (11-11-2010)
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Move a number from one Sprint account to another?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: