Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,903
Going to Canada, Canada roaming, Calling Canada etc

Can I use my phone in Canada?

Probably. As long as you qualify to add international roaming to your account and request it, you should have no problem roaming on a Sprint CDMA phone in Canada. Sprint uses "Bell" and "telus" for the roaming partners in most of Canada. Before you travel, contact the Sprint PCS International Support Team at 1-888-226-7212.

How much is roaming in Canada?

Canada roaming for voice calls is $0.59 a minute. If you will be making more than 10 minutes of calls, you would benefit from adding the "Canada Roaming" option at $2.99 a month. The roaming option will lower your per minute rate to $0.20 cente per minute.

What about Long Distance charges?

The roaming rates in Canada include Long Distance back to the USA and within Canada.

How much is data service? Can I get a deal on data services?

Data in Canada is billed out at a casual rate of $0.002 per kb. Sprint offers a service for blackberry users as well as other devices to include your data charges in Canada. The rate for blackberry users is $69.99 and replaces your domestic blackberry plan.

But my plan is a "Roaming Included" plan. Why do I have to pay more?

Your plan offers roaming in the USA only, all roaming rates in other countries are "international roaming" and therefore not part of any "roaming included" option.

How much is text messaging in Canada?

Sprint claims it is $0.20 per message, in or out. They also claim that text messaging is not available in Canada.

Members on here have had no problem with using text messaging in Canada, and have reported no charges on their bills from them. I can't confirm that myself, but know that text messaging in Canada does work in most areas.

I was just messaged today by another member confirming they used SMS messaging in Canada and were not charged for it. YMMV, but it seems to be "included" as Sprint does not even claim it is available. They may in the future choose to make it "available" and charge for it.

Update: It seems that using your Sprint (CDMA) device in Canada may allow you free text messages while roaming. Sending a message to a Canadian numbe rmay still incur the $0.20 per message charge though.

How much does it cost to call a Canadian number from the US?

Casual long distance to Canada is $0.39 per minute, and you can get an option that will lower it to $0.09 per minute with a $4 monthly charge. Over 13 minutes of calling a month and the monthly plan is right for you. You could also consider any of the calling card providers, or getting a "Google Voice" number and dialing out from them to Canada. If you can get a "Google Voice" number, the Canada rate free, no charge at all .

Last edited by Dan; 08-03-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan For This Useful Post:
JackG058 (08-10-2010)
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Staff Forum > Archived & Closed Forums > What Phone Should I Get? > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) > Going to Canada, Canada roaming, Calling Canada etc