Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
sprintphone
Two Cans & String User

Phone: rl-4920
SU$: 95
Sprint service works in Yosemite Park

Thought I would pass along some info. Before I went on vacation to Yosemite National Park, I searched the net to see if Sprint service worked. Could not get a clear answer (saw alot of "no", it won't work).

After spending three days at Yosemite, roam service works fine. Get good signal; calls were clear. There are some areas of the park that I had signal trouble, but the main areas of the park were fine. For example, service was good on Northside drive (road), also at the Yosemite Grocery store, Yosemite Falls..etc. Also worked at Yosemite View Lodge on HWY140 (roam)

So, for the record, roam service is fine. I have the HTC Diamond. Automatic settings picked up the roam signal. Also had the ROAM hack setting entry, and that was also fine.
sprintphone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprintphone For This Useful Post:
k8e2007 (08-07-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
hbmedic69
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 100
SPRINT SERVICE DOES NOT WORK AT YOSEMITE - A Service Provider named 'Ranger' owns the Coverage area within Yosemite National Park and ONLY Verizon and AT&T have bought into the providers area - I was in all parts of Yosemite Nationa Park this past weekend and in Many places, even in the Canyons and Up in the Falls (Yosemite and Nevada Falls) I had 2-4 bars of Service but I could not make calls or access the internet because SPRINT has not bought into the local service providers coverage area. Communication is Key in dangerous areas where families are in different parts of the park and may need a ride or assistance and SPRINT has seemingly disregarded the need for their customer's safety & ability to communicate within the park. I am completely disappointed with Sprint service at this point, especially when I had to borrow a friend's AT&T phone to call my wife. It's sickening #1 that Yosemite would award a single carrier the entire coverage area (through towers) but it's even worse that a service provider as large as Sprint would deny their customers service during their stay & travel at a National Park where communication is absolutely necessary. Sprint has lost my service as of my contract deadline.
hbmedic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
stmiranda
Telephone User

Phone: Galaxy S3
SU$: 1,567
911 calls still work. Even phones with no contract can make 911 calls so your ability to reach emergency services is not compromised. I had to call 911 while at Yosemite last year when a bicyclist was hit. No problem reaching emergency services.
stmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
hbmedic69
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 100
Okay well that's Funny - I was just there - Yesterday - and I have roam service on for Voice at all times - When I dialed, anywhere in the Park - I was Re-directed to a local provider who said that my provider was not a partner and that if I thought I had received this notice in error, I could call 611 - So I called 611 - at that point they asked me to enter my phone number - I did that - and it said that Sprint was not a partner of the provider coverage area and to contact Sprint with my issue - which I did - I have an iPhone 4S and as I said - Roam for Voice is Always ON.. I've not had a problem anywhere else - and I just got back from Seattle and the upper areas of Washington State - and have NEVER had this problem before. A friend I was with who had AT&T had Service through the Local Provider - Another Friend I was with who had T-Mobile - Had the Same problem I did.. The bottom line is, Coverage is provided by a Local Provider, AT&T and Verizon bought into it to provide their customers with service inside the park - Sprint & T-Mobile did not - Got Defend Sprint Elsewhere. My post is to make people Aware that coverage is available but denied by Sprint so that they will know ahead of time that they will not have the ability to communicate outside of an Emergency call - and so that maybe they will complain to Sprint and cause Sprint to buy into this coverage. I pay over $300/mo for 2 lines and a tablet and I should have Coverage everywhere unless there is no tower or service available. At this location, I had between 2 & 4 bars at all times but if I tried to dial I got a 3 tone bypass of my service and redirected to a denial of the call I was attempting - this is Completely Unacceptable..
hbmedic69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
_wyatt
Telegraph User

Mood: Breezy
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbmedic69
Okay well that's Funny - I was just there - Yesterday - and I have roam service on for Voice at all times - When I dialed, anywhere in the Park - I was Re-directed to a local provider who said that my provider was not a partner and that if I thought I had received this notice in error, I could call 611 - So I called 611 - at that point they asked me to enter my phone number - I did that - and it said that Sprint was not a partner of the provider coverage area and to contact Sprint with my issue - which I did - I have an iPhone 4S and as I said - Roam for Voice is Always ON.. I've not had a problem anywhere else - and I just got back from Seattle and the upper areas of Washington State - and have NEVER had this problem before. A friend I was with who had AT&T had Service through the Local Provider - Another Friend I was with who had T-Mobile - Had the Same problem I did.. The bottom line is, Coverage is provided by a Local Provider, AT&T and Verizon bought into it to provide their customers with service inside the park - Sprint & T-Mobile did not - Got Defend Sprint Elsewhere. My post is to make people Aware that coverage is available but denied by Sprint so that they will know ahead of time that they will not have the ability to communicate outside of an Emergency call - and so that maybe they will complain to Sprint and cause Sprint to buy into this coverage. I pay over $300/mo for 2 lines and a tablet and I should have Coverage everywhere unless there is no tower or service available. At this location, I had between 2 & 4 bars at all times but if I tried to dial I got a 3 tone bypass of my service and redirected to a denial of the call I was attempting - this is Completely Unacceptable..
I'm surprised about this and feel you should email dan@sprint.com and/or call corporate and complain. It's important that the users let Sprint know personally.
_wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Gameross
Telephone User

SU$: 1,837
HB, why did you dig up and reply to such a old thread from over 2 years ago?\

I'm guessing it probably did work 2 years ago, but Sprint cancelled it agreement for some reason. I'd guess whoever the provider was wanted to much for roamers.
Gameross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
theonlyone
Telephone User

Phone: Epic Touch 4G
SU$: 686
I was in Yosemite last month, and I could not get any service at all.
theonlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Windows Phone > Windows Mobile (6.x and earlier) > Sprint service works in Yosemite Park

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: