Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 04-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
jake76
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Curve 8330
SU$: 23
BB 8330 Download Speed Question

I have been trying to find the answer to this question; but to no avail. So any insight would be great. Here it is. Anytime I speed test, my connection speed I am averaging 50 - 200 bits/s. When I purchased the phone I was told my average should be around 650 kbits/s. However when I tether my phone to my laptop and speed test my connection its well above 750 kbits/s. Why?!
jake76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
mike_48089
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Rumer
SU$: 57
make sure your picking up EVDO coverage. it will have a 1XEV next to your signal bar. if you have that you can go to options>mobile network>press your menu key> and hit start provisioning and see if that helps at all. if not dial *2 for a PRL update. if that doesn't help then dont worry about it because its running as fast as it can. the reason it might be running faster on the computer is because the computer is able to process the information faster then the blackberry can. so even though the blackberry is capable of better speeds, it isn't capable of that kind of speed just being a blackberry in itself.

Michael
Sprint Advanced Tech
mike_48089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
jake76
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Curve 8330
SU$: 23
Thanks mike. I reprovisioned it, and I am always showing 1XEV on my phone;No increase. I guess its the processing speed of the device like you said. That stinks, I think i had faster DL speeds on my old sanyo M1. I was expecting much faster speeds than this. Thanks for the help.
jake76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
jessep28
That's Numberwang!

Mood: Amused
Phone: HTC One M8
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 68,326
PRL updates won't help data speed in a Sprint coverage area. All those lists do is tell the phone who to look for when roaming.
jessep28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:06 AM   #5
mrmicrowave
Telegraph User

SU$: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake76 View Post
Thanks mike. I reprovisioned it, and I am always showing 1XEV on my phone;No increase. I guess its the processing speed of the device like you said. That stinks, I think i had faster DL speeds on my old sanyo M1. I was expecting much faster speeds than this. Thanks for the help.
I get the same speeds in Atlanta, Chicago and San Francisco from my 8330. IMHO reports of greater speeds are ill-informed...hey, I'm not snarky if I'm not snarking at anyone! <grin> .

Seriously, this is useful for email and light surfing. I use it in hotels and airports rather than pay $9.95 wifi charges. I use Speedtest.net to check speeds.

Basically, it works better than the 8330's Camera but not as well as it's music playing capability.

(And yes--I've tweaked both XP Pro and the BB device to optimize speed.)
mrmicrowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > RIM BlackBerry Phones > BB 8330 Download Speed Question

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: