Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
notyouz
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 9
Short codes not working

I'm trying to get a Twitter going on my S1, but Sprint keeps telling me Twitter's 6 digit short code is invalid. Do I have to change the setting's or something?
notyouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
jojoyohan
Telegraph User

Phone: Samsung M500
SU$: 258
Twitters short code is 5 numbers long, not 6. 40404
jojoyohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
notyouz
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 9
nevermind, I figured it out. thanks!
notyouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
bikes4u
Telegraph User

Phone: samsung rant
SU$: 269
what did you do to get it workin? I have never gotten short codes to work on my phone. Example: I cant vote on America's got talent, whatever because the text # 404-3 or whatever won't go through. Cant sign up for twitter. How can I get it workin? thanks
bikes4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
SVT Driver
Telegraph User

Phone: LG G2
SU$: 696
Just recently all short codes stopped working on both my phone and my daughter's. Twitter (40404), Google (44645 or 446453) and a few others tried for testing just don't give any response like they aren't even receiving the message. There are no errors of any kind displayed and the messages do show up in the Sent folder.
SVT Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
bikes4u
Telegraph User

Phone: samsung rant
SU$: 269
I had to call Sprint Technical support and they were able to unblock short codes.
bikes4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
SVT Driver
Telegraph User

Phone: LG G2
SU$: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikes4u View Post
I had to call Sprint Technical support and they were able to unblock short codes.
In my case I just sent an email to ecare. I got a reply in a little over an hour telling me that for some reason short codes were blocked on both of my lines and that they had unblocked it. However, I didn't get an answer as to why after working just fine for over 8 years all of a sudden it stopped working.
SVT Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
SRSEN1999
Telephone User

Phone: BB Curve 8330
SU$: 458
I recently tried to send Twitter the 5-digit short codes, but I never got anything back saying Twitter received my code. I guess I will e-mail ecare or call and talk to the CS people. I stopped in the Sprint store yesterday, and the guy there have no idea what I was talking about. Weird!
SRSEN1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #9
NetApex
Two Cans & String User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro
SU$: 18
Yeah that seems to be happening a lot lately. I just had to call for my sister's phone to have short codes unblocked as well. Took a little bit of talking with the customer service rep to convince her that there was a problem, but she managed to find the right menu somewhere to see that there were blocked and fixed it.
NetApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #10
juliano.ramos
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Palm Treo 700wx
SU$: 29
On Twitter, try sending a text tweet and go to your actual site (whether on your phone or on the comp) and see what if it posts, if anything. Here's a perfect example of what I'm going through right now - GARBLED TEXTS TO SHORT CODES!
Example: I'm tweeting to 40404 right now, the following text message: "Does this thing work?"
The actual tweet: "RG9lcyB0aGlzIHRoaW5nIHdvcms/"
This may be happening when people send texts to any short code. Another example is my bank, which isn't recognizing my text based inquiries at all. Facebook and MySpace don't even pick up my updates at all - I guess those servers are smart enough to understand what is actual human typing and what is not.
juliano.ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #11
juliano.ramos
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Palm Treo 700wx
SU$: 29
WinMo Garbled SMS to Short Codes

If anyone has any feedback/advice on what I wrote here, HELP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliano.ramos View Post
On Twitter, try sending a text tweet and go to your actual site (whether on your phone or on the comp) and see what if it posts, if anything. Here's a perfect example of what I'm going through right now - GARBLED TEXTS TO SHORT CODES!
Example: I'm tweeting to 40404 right now, the following text message: "Does this thing work?"
The actual tweet: "RG9lcyB0aGlzIHRoaW5nIHdvcms/"
This may be happening when people send texts to any short code. Another example is my bank, which isn't recognizing my text based inquiries at all. Facebook and MySpace don't even pick up my updates at all - I guess those servers are smart enough to understand what is actual human typing and what is not.
juliano.ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
dataranger
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 12
Sprint shutting down shared short codes

Sprint has cut off carriers such as Clickatell (a global sms aggregator) from allowing shared short code messages to be sent.

Whats a shared short code?

Well, a short code is what you already know. To save costs, carriers such as Clickatell allow smaller companies to use a shared short code because they can't afford the really high costs of getting their own short code ($900 a month and up).

Sprint claims that it is to prevent spam, but I suspect there are probably other reasons for doing so.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is related to the missing messages you are referring to.
dataranger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dataranger For This Useful Post:
bcwavery (05-29-2010)
Old 04-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataranger View Post
Sprint has cut off carriers such as Clickatell (a global sms aggregator) from allowing shared short code messages to be sent.

Whats a shared short code?

Well, a short code is what you already know. To save costs, carriers such as Clickatell allow smaller companies to use a shared short code because they can't afford the really high costs of getting their own short code ($900 a month and up).

Sprint claims that it is to prevent spam, but I suspect there are probably other reasons for doing so.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is related to the missing messages you are referring to.
You realize this thread is almost a year old, right?

Many of the messages Sprint now restricts are because of spamming. Sadly, people feel the need to spam cell phones

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: