Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 03-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Ryan768
Two Cans & String User

Phone: V950
SU$: 471
Being charged for data usage for Picture Messaging

11:39:12 AM System Kristina has joined this session!
11:39:12 AM System Connected with Kristina
11:39:12 AM System Thank you for contacting Sprint. My name is Kristina. How may I assist you today?
11:40:01 AM Sprint Customer I had some questions about charges on my bill. The phone numbers are x and x.
11:41:47 AM Kristina I will be happy to assist you with this.
11:41:47 AM Kristina May I have your first and last name please.
11:41:55 AM Sprint Customer x
11:43:02 AM Kristina I am currently in the account.
11:43:07 AM Kristina How may I assist you?
11:43:52 AM Sprint Customer for x, there is a casual data rate charge of $8.01.
11:45:23 AM Kristina Yes, may I ask is this your line. May I ask what is all done on this line?
11:46:19 AM Sprint Customer Yes, this is my line.
11:47:03 AM Kristina May I ask what all do you do. Do you use this phone for calling, phone as modem, text messages, picture mail, to go on the Internet?
11:48:51 AM Sprint Customer I only use phone, text messaging, picture messaging. I do not use the internet. I do not use on demand. I do nothing to accumulate data that I should be charged for. I usually have to call every month to ask for credit because for some unknown reason my phone is acuumlating small data charges and for months they can't explain why.
11:49:43 AM Kristina May I ask when you receive picture mail. How does it ask you to access it?
11:49:55 AM Sprint Customer I was told that since i do have to call everymonth that i would not be hassled!
11:51:01 AM Sprint Customer When I receive a picture mail, I just click on it. It has already been downloaded to the phone. I do not go out to the internet to retrieve the pictures. This is a Motorola V950.
11:51:44 AM Sprint Customer Something is wrong with the data billing system in the way that it keeps track of data charges. I've been telling them this for months.
12:00:38 PM Sprint Customer But i do not use the online method.
12:01:28 PM Sprint Customer If you don't give me vredit of $8.01 I am going to have to email dan@sprint again but then i will be pissed by then I let then know!
12:01:53 PM Sprint Customer You are pissing me off. Go ahead I am then goign to call and disconnect
12:02:34 PM Kristina I apologize, however per the notes in the account. It says that your phone is compatible with picture mail. However it has to access the Internet to be able to access it.
12:03:01 PM Sprint Customer But a feature of my plan is that I have unlimited picture mail!
12:03:16 PM Sprint Customer I have unlimited picture mail as part of my plan.
12:03:34 PM Sprint Customer I should not be charged for data to send and receive picture mail.
12:04:35 PM Kristina One moment please.
12:05:55 PM Sprint Customer Also, there have been some months where I do not send or receive any picture mail and I still get charged for small amounts of data. So maybe it's not necessarily the picture mail that's accumulating data.
12:07:00 PM Kristina I apologize, however you are not being charged for sending and receiving.
12:11:00 PM Kristina I know that your time is very valuable and Sprint values your time. I understand that you would like for your issue(s) to be resolved today and we are committed to resolving your issues. Are you still interested in chatting with a Sprint Representative?
12:12:16 PM Sprint Customer I want $8.01 credit or if not you must tell me what I did to accumulate that charge.
12:15:11 PM Kristina I apologize, however I can request to have a credit added to your account. However there are two options. You can block the Internet from your phone so that no data charges will incur. However when you block this you will not be able to use the picture mail. Or you can add the data plan and you will be able to use the feature and then you will not incur extra data charges.
12:16:10 PM Kristina However when you use the picture mail feature you will have to access the Internet from the phone. That was sent in the email that I sent to you.
12:16:31 PM Kristina They say that is how your phone performs when using the picture mail feature.
12:16:40 PM Kristina I apologize.
12:16:49 PM Sprint Customer I do not want the Internet blocked because then I won't be able to send and receive picture messages. I tried that in the past. I have unlimited picture mail as part of a feature of my plan and I am entitled to use it. The nerve of you to tell me to block the Internet!
12:19:21 PM Kristina However with the device that you currently have, it accesses the Internet when you receive a picture and try to access it. I apologize for this, however I am trying to get this resolved for you. However I am going off what is in your account notes from when you escalated the chat in the past. The provided to us the reasoning why the account is being charged the casual data. I apologize again.
12:20:54 PM Sprint Customer Sure, but don't you think if an advertised feature of the plan is that it has unlimited picture messaging that I should be able to send and receive unlimited picture messaging. Seems simple to me. Also, lets not forget that it may not be the picture messaging that's accumulating data charges.
12:21:25 PM Sprint Customer I would like $8.01 credit.
12:24:32 PM Kristina I understand that it may be confusing. However with out having the data included you will be charged for the picture mail when you try to download to access the picture.
12:25:03 PM Sprint Customer Then it's deceptive advertising because it's not truly unlimited.
12:26:57 PM Kristina It is unlimited sending and receiving and this and free. This feature is unlimited. However it is just when you try to access it. Is when the casual data charges. When you view the link is when you are charged.
12:27:52 PM Kristina I understand for the confusion.
12:27:55 PM Sprint Customer But I thought I have one of the newer phones which does not have to go out to the internet to access the pictures. When I go to look at a picture, it's already in the phone. It doesn't connect and download anything.
12:28:02 PM Kristina I apologize for the confusion.
12:29:45 PM Kristina A phone/device must be picture mail capable for it to be able to send/receive pictures from device to device via text messaging features. The only other recourse if the phone is not picture mail capable is to send and receive pictures via email or using your online capabilities. Using the online method will incur charges if you do not have a data plan associated with your rate plan. The Motorola Renegade does not have that capability. Even though your price plan includes unlimited Picture Mail as a feature, it will only work with a phone that is set up with that capability. Once you go online, or click a link to view a picture, you will be charged casual data charges.
12:31:34 PM Sprint Customer This is what I was told when I have called in on many occasions. Some told me what you are telling. Some told me I was correct. Eventually we got the bottom of it. But what i was told is that since my phone is newer, it does not have to go out to the internet to download the picture messages. If it did, then I would be charged. I do not go online to look at the pictures. They are already in the phone. Just like a text message. So which phones are newer enough to not have to go out to the internet. I think you are incorect and that my phone should be able to receive picture messages without going out to the internet.
12:34:53 PM Kristina x, I do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused you. However, if send or receive picture mail on your device, and click on the link, so that you are able to view the picture mail that you have received, you will be charged data charges.
12:35:20 PM Sprint Customer But I do not click on any link. The picture is already there.
12:35:28 PM Kristina If you like, I would be more than happy to block the Internet for you or add a Sprint Data Pack for $15.00, so that you may not incur data charges.
12:35:53 PM Kristina However, if you send or receive pictures mail to your device, you will be charged data charges.
12:38:04 PM Kristina I know your time is valuable and I would like to assist you in resolving any issue or concerns you may have today. Are you still interested in chatting with a Sprint representative?
12:38:15 PM Sprint Customer I do not want Internet blocked because It would disable picture messagaing which is a feature of my plan that I am entitled to. I want $8.01 credit. I can see this is going nowhere. I think you are wrong and that you should have just given me the credit of $8.01. Now you have a pissed of customer. I have wasted 1 hour of your time and mine. And I am going to escallate this problem.
12:38:49 PM System The session has ended!
Ryan768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
sjones
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Amused
Phone: 2 x IP5's ipad3
Trades: 5
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 11,407
You could not put a summary of the issue you were having? you had to post this?

Way to long and complicated but with you saying things like the following:

"If you don't give me vredit of $8.01 I am going to have to email dan@sprint again but then i will be pissed by then I let then know!"

"You are pissing me off. Go ahead I am then goign to call and disconnect"

Im surprised if anything will done , maybe if you were nice to people they would help you?

Also think "kristina" handled your matter very well, i might be wrong but I would think you would have to have a data plan to get picture mail as what you are doing is sending "data" the picture across the system

Last edited by sjones; 03-15-2009 at 06:03 PM.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Dragonman
SU Expert judge MAS 2011

Mood: Cool
Phone: Galaxy S II
Trades: 4
My Mood: Cool
SU$: 9,734
Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonman Send a message via Skype™ to Dragonman
Wirelessly posted (Touch Pro & V950 Renegade: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/15613; U; en))

Some older plan codes will cause data charges. A Rep needs to delete one code and reapply it. The plan doesn't change just the way the system calculates data.

I agree with the last poster a simple summary of the issue would have sufficed and swearing and making threats is a LOUSY way to get someone to help you.

Last edited by Dragonman; 03-15-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
amp436
Telephone User

Phone: SGSII E4GT
SU$: 2,403
I third the motion of not getting pissed off. People are much more willing to help you out if you are simply polite.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Eyecon82
Account Inactive

Phone: BB Tour 9630
SU$: 19,791
If she didnt want to help..just politely say good bye and call back in or try another chat rep

+4 for the motion of not pissing anyone off...nothing will get done then...and you'll have a priority note on your account saying you are easy to piss off...and no future rep will even try being nice to you
Eyecon82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Goth_
Telegraph User

Phone: Samsung Rant
SU$: 397
Send a message via AIM to Goth_ Send a message via Yahoo to Goth_
You seem like a real big whining *****. Where do you work? I wanna come complain about you when you don't do exactly what I say.
Goth_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
amp436
Telephone User

Phone: SGSII E4GT
SU$: 2,403
The past two summers (between college semesters) I worked at a pawn shop and obviously encountered a lot of easy-to-piss off people. But somehow none of them were quite as rude as the OP. Golden rule, kiddo.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:16 AM   #8
pixielee
smile and believe

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: BB Style
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 2,427
while i cant offer any advice - technically the rep was right, and the info they have may be incorrect in that the phone you have receives SMS not MMS picmail -

what i would suggest to you, and everyone else is write an email to your state attorney general. i did this 3 weeks ago and was amazed at the response i received. In my complaint I advise the AG that sprint simply gives us a total every month and says "this is how many texts you used" -and we just have to accept that number. At least with phone calls they give us a date and time, and now even both incoming and outgoing numbers - so why can they not do that with text messages?

I received a letter from my AG that they spoke to sprint. I received a call from someone at sprint ( Mr Shipmon ) who said they received my complaint, and that it would be brought up in his next department meeting ( haha may not be true but obviously someone has to pay attention and acknowledge you when you get the attorney general involved! ) - He pointed out to me that picture mail is now counted in the text message count section of our bill, however, he couldnt explain to me WHAT it was counting. i have no way to prove it, but i am sure my picture mail is being taken from my texts. I then received a letter from sprint outlining what we had discussed. The more complaints they have, the more sprint eventually has to listen. I bet if it could be investigated they have charged 100s of thousands in text overages they shouldnt have ( as well as any other company - i dont think any provide detailed text billing? )

so anyways .. at least to prove your point and maybe get someone to listen, go into the store and make a rep send you picture mail, so they can see what you are talking about.
pixielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:10 AM   #9
chilidogtampa
Ericas daddy

Phone: TouchPRO2!!!
Trades: 4
SU$: 15,271
its stuff like this that makes me wonder when folks post that they "always get hung up on" or "every time they transfer me I get disconnected" or even "they said they would call back and didn't".....I would have disconnected the call/chat at the first dirty word, and im certainly no prude....but the OP is just rude. you may be in the right but the person, yes person, on the other end is somebodies mother, sister, daughter or whatever....grow up.
chilidogtampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:58 AM   #10
jakehale
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: EvO
SU$: 1,120
I had a similar problem, I am on a everything plan, but kept getting charged for the picture mails. Every month I would call and they would say, sorry, we will credit you, and they did UNTIL one month, i got the old, you've had to many credits to your account. I didnt go off or anything just expressed that it wasnt my fault and moved on. a day later i called and got ahold of someone who what they were talking about and it turns out that when i switched my plan, they didnt fix the expiration dates for the things i was being charged for, she gave me my credit and fixed the expiration dates, and (knock on wood) since then all has worked well. long story short, have someone check the expiration dates. I am no where near and expert on this matter, but this happened to me when i changed from a FF plan to the simply everthing, so the codes must be different.

Jake
Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 AM   #11
kaladar
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: HTC EVO LTE
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 2,599
Really sounds like something isn't right in their account's setup.

When I went from an older plan to the 'Everything Messaging Family' plan, the very first month, I looked at my bill online for some reason and I noticed data charges. My phone, old school RAZR V3M, only does SMS.

However, when I chatted someone about the issue, they said that, even though the charges were showing there would be a counter-credit to even them out. This never actually happened. That same cycle, I saw the charges go away and after that one instance, I've never seen any other data charges even though I have to click a link to go get my pictures. I also download the pictures to the phone now and then. No data charges.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
pepster2
Telegraph User

SU$: 975
I have been through the same run around about data. I have the v950 also. Family has other phones. One month on sons phone , then mine then the others would get data charges. All we did was send picture mail. Yes, we do not have to download link to see pictures with the v950. It is just on it when we open the message.. Would call and go over the same info from CS every time. I really don't think they pass any information along to each other on problems people are having. As we can tell from this and other fourms this happens a lot. Some cs will say this is the first time they have heard about it so must not be a large problem. I finall just had to turn data off. Like you it was only about $8 at a time but scarred one day would look and it be $$$$$

Last edited by pepster2; 03-16-2009 at 09:51 AM.
pepster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
schettj
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Asleep
Phone: AT&T iPhone?
My Mood: Asleep
SU$: 4,733
Wow... how not to get good service move #127 right there.

I hope you get it worked out, for me the thing that always works best is to be very nice, and try to act even more clueless then the rep. After a while it approaches the level of the finest Abbot and Costello skit, you'll both be laughing, and the rep will in a fit of goodwill actually like you just a little bit, and fix the problem.

Win!

Again, hope you get it worked out.
schettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #14
Eyecon82
Account Inactive

Phone: BB Tour 9630
SU$: 19,791
yep...it's all about connecting with the rep...

I usually use lines like "so where are you guys located?" and then start a convo from there...mostly having to do with weather, economy, etc....

It gives the rep a break from his daily grind and it will loosen him or her up and they will be more likely to help you...it's all psychology here folks

If you piss off a rep, they will be much less likely to help you...even if you have a legit arguement

Anger stands in the way of many things
Eyecon82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #15
pixielee
smile and believe

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: BB Style
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 2,427
being nice and getting the credit, or being nasty and not .. still never fixes the issue that causes the problem in the first place -
pixielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Rants, Debates, & Farewells - All Carriers > Being charged for data usage for Picture Messaging

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: