Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #1
OceanBlue
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Inspired
Phone: BB 9700
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 7,745
The New BlackBerry "Classic"

Apparently, the new BlackBerry "Classic" model was released in November 2014, but does not yet appear to be available on any of the major U.S. cell service providers? Does anyone have any updated or different information about this?

Also, having quickly glanced at the specs of the Classic, I'm wondering why the Classic is so under-powered -- with a 1.5 ghz processor (single core?) and 2GB of RAM -- and does not run Adobe Flash for web browsing?

Anyone know any more about this newest model?

Thanks and cheers!
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:18 AM   #2
jessep28
That's Numberwang!

Mood: Amused
Phone: HTC One M8
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 68,326
You can buy an unlocked GSM version of the phone from the company. Therefore it's technically available on US GSM carriers. AT&T's website states that a branded version is coming soon.

I can't speak to the internals, but my guess is that the Classic isn't intended to be a flagship phone.

Adobe for the most part quit supporting Flash on mobile devices years ago. This isn't 2008. With the web trending towards HTML5, nobody really needs Flash on their mobile web browser anymore.

Last edited by jessep28; 02-05-2015 at 01:26 AM.
jessep28 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jessep28 For This Useful Post:
OceanBlue (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
OceanBlue
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Inspired
Phone: BB 9700
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 7,745
Thanks for the info Jessup! Interesting that AT&T indicates that it's coming soon. I wonder if that's because BB is still in the process of further refining the OS (and perhaps even further changing some of the hardware) of the Classic pending its release on AT&T's network?

I also wasn't aware of of the trend away from Flash for web browsing, but only because so many reviews seem to mention its presence or absence on various devices. Does that mean that the Classic -- as contemplated now -- will be able to display most media found on the web?

Lastly, I would have thought that a handset like the Classic would (or should be) a flagship model (with top specs) since it has all of the distinctive features (physical keyboard, trackpad, menu, call/end buttons etc.) that appeal to BlackBerry's core clientele, professional users.

I would even venture to say BB could even increase the size of the Classic to make it more competitive, though I still think BB cannot afford to compromise on the processing power and web capabilities. If the Classic is not a flagship model, then I think it should be, especially since BB would have the market share of the physical keyboard cell handsets decisively cornered. I say "decisively" because there are many BB enthusiasts who do not like the Q10 or the Passport and have been waiting for a BlackBerry Classic-type model to be released that would be somewhat competitive with the other super phones on the market.

I really think a well-conceived model like the Classic can make or break BlackBerry at this point though I'm hoping that the Classic can become a great model. I'm just not sure though whether I should buy one just yet -- that is, before it's officially released by AT&T in the U.S.

Any thoughts? Advice?

Thanks again for your comments.

Last edited by OceanBlue; 02-06-2015 at 01:57 PM.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > RIM BlackBerry Phones > The New BlackBerry "Classic"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: