Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #1
chokaay
Now on T-Mobile...

Mood: none
Phone: Apple iPhone 6+
SU$: 15,885
Angry RANT: Why Does Sprint Make It So Hard To Refer New Customers?!?

I joined Sprint July 2008, and since then I have brought over 5 other customers (and 4 new ones today). But WHY DOES SPRINT MAKE IT SO HARD TO REFER NEW CUSTOMERS?!? Case in point...

JULY 2008 - I decided to join Sprint before SERO ended, and convinced my friend to do the same. I experienced some issues with my order that with A LOT of patience and persistance I was able to clear up (after 2 months). My friend had less patience and returned his phone without even activating it. (Basically, Sprint shipped him an obviously used Motorola RAZR V3m covered in fingerprints, and that pissed him off enough to cancel service without even activating the phone. But who could blame him? I wouldn't expect this sort of mistake from a well-established company such as Sprint, and I'd be pissed off too!)

SUN, 1/4/09 - After MONTHS of convincing (since July 2008), my friend finally agreed to give Sprint another chance. We drive down to the local Sprint store where he wanted to sign up for the Everything Data Family 3000 plan with 4 x BlackBerry 8830 World Editions (since we BOTH had bad experiences ordering through Sprint.com, and we THOUGHT it would be easier if we signed-up/activated in person... and had someone to hold responsible if anything went wrong). The representative said that Sprint stores don't carry the BlackBerry 8830 World Editions, and that they would have to order it and wait for them to come in (usually 1-2 days). That was OK, as long as the BlackBerries came in and were set up ASAP because 2 of the lines had to go with people leaving overseas 1/9/09. We asked if we should just order online at Sprint.com (because phones are stated to be OVERNIGHTED for free), but the representative said that there was no difference and it was better to order from their store. So my friend pre-paid for 4 x Blackberry 8830 World Editions in the store, and we left.

MON, 1/5/09 - BlackBerries have not arrived at the Sprint store yet.

TUES, 1/6/09 - BlackBerries have not arrived at the Sprint store yet.

WED, 1/7/09 - BlackBerries have not arrived at the Sprint store yet. Just in case the BlackBerries wouldn't arrive in time, my friend tried to place an order on Sprint.com for the Everything Data Family 3000 plan with 4 x BlackBerry 8830 World Editions. Sprint.com gave an error saying he only was qualified for 3 lines under his SSN with a 795 FICO. So he called his relative and she placed an order for the Everything Data Family 3000 plan with 4 x BlackBerry 8830 World Editions online. Her order went through fine with a confirmation number and everything (or so it seemed).

THURS, 1/8/09 - BlackBerries have not arrived at the Sprint store yet. The representative doesn't know where they are. They called back later in the day with the tracking number, and it shows the BlackBerry 8830's were shipped via UPS GROUND (NOT OVERNIGHT as Sprint.com would have!). In regards to last night's online order, Sprint sent an e-mail to the relative asking her to call Sprint to verify some information. After that was done, Sprint informed her that she could only have 2 lines. My friend then called Sprint CS and asked if there was any way to get a 4-Person Everything Data Family 3000 under his name (since he was allowed 3, one would think adding one more person wouldn't be that big of a problem), including: re-running his credit again, and/or paying a refundable deposit.

After about 30 minutes of discussion between my friend, Sprint's CS Department, and Sprint's Credit Department, the official answers were "NO". NO, they wouldn't re-run my friend's credit because they had it right in front of them and his's credit was EXCELLENT (their words, not mine). There was nothing wrong with my friend's credit! But my friend did not qualify for more than 3 lines "BECAUSE YOU [HE] DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT DEBT"! (Yes, those were the Credit Department's exact words. That means a fiscally responsible person cannot have as many lines as a reckless spender because he didn't have enough debt to carry a cell phone.) Even though my friend was willing to put a refundable deposit of up to $5,000 (2-years worth of service), Sprint would rather limit my friend to 3 lines instead of 4 and jeopardize this promising business relationship.

So my friend started looking into his other options, including Verizon. Even though Verizon's cost is approximately 50% higher than Sprint's for essentially the same plan features, my friend doesn't care because Sprint had already wasted enough of his/our time with this B***S*** by: dragging their feet and shipping the 4 x BlackBerry 8830 World Editions to the store via UPS GROUND when Sprint clearly knew that this was a time-sensitive issue (especially when Sprint.com would OVERNIGHT phones for FREE!), and limiting my friend to 3 lines instead of 4 "BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT DEBT"... even though the Sprint Corporate Store already pre-charged and ordered my friend for 4 x BlackBerry 8830 World Editions (what the heck is my friend going to do with 4 phones if he only can activate 3 of them?!?).

Am I the only one who sees the moronic nature of Sprint's reasoning to deny my friend a 4th line? Does Sprint REALLY want customers who carry a lot of debt? Does Sprint really want to drive fiscally responsible people who manage their finances well (with home, car, and higher education loans all paid off, and over $80,000 in available credit card credit) and NEVER pay late and NEVER fail to pay? If so, then Sprint could have fool us with this statement... because to us clearly that's what it seems like they're aiming for... people who rack up a lot of debt in credit cards and what-not and only pay the bare minimum (if at all)!

Anyway, wanting to help my friend out in any way I can, I made a last-ditch effort to salvage this potential transaction by documenting the experience above in a scathing e-mail to dan@sprint.com. (Much of the same material above was included in the e-mail.)

FRI, 1/9/09 - Someone from Sprint called my friend back in the morning in regards to my e-mail I sent last night. They did a conference call with Sprint's Credit Department, and Sprint's Credit Department again denied my friend a 4th line based on the same reasoning. The Sprint CSR (apparently a higher-tiered CSR from Dan's office) was stunned at first, then put my friend on hold before (I'm assuming) using whatever authority she had to set the Credit Department straight. In the end, after 30 minutes on hold, the CSR came back, apoligized for the wait, and said that my friend was approved for a 4th line, no deposit.

My friend rushed to the Sprint Corporate Store (since the phones came in today), and activated all 4 lines just hours before 2 of the BlackBerry 8830 World Editions went with two new Sprint customers overseas.

Although this story ended well (barely...), WHY THE HECK DOES SPRINT MAKE IT SO HARD TO REFER NEW CUSTOMERS?!?

I swear, these 4 lines will be the LAST customers I refer to Sprint EVER... unless Sprint can make signing-up new customers as painless as T-Mobile, AT&T, or even Verizon (all 3 I have never had/observed any issues with my friends signing up). Sprint's new customer sign-up process makes going to the dentist look fun...
chokaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:10 AM   #2
cvrefugee
Walkie Talkie User

Trades: 8
SU$: 5,650
I think it would be better not to rush something like a new account when you have a deadline like that, you're just setting yourself up for failure.
cvrefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
chokaay
Now on T-Mobile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrefugee View Post
I think it would be better not to rush something like a new account when you have a deadline like that, you're just setting yourself up for failure.

I agree... but the way we had it planned, we weren't supposed to be rushed. We planned to sign up on Sunday, a week before 2 of the customers were going to leave. Even if the phones took 1-2 days to ship to the store (as was quoted), then there would still be a few days left to make sure everything was working. Unfortunately, Sprint mis-quoted the shipping time it took for the phones to get there (since they were shipped via UPS GROUND instead of OVERNIGHT), which caused everything to be rushed on the last day. Who knew it would take 1 week just to sign up to Sprint with BlackBerry 8830's?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
chokaay
Now on T-Mobile...

MON, 1/11/09 - Today when my friend called Sprint to have International Roaming enabled on all 4 lines, and guess what? Yup! You guessed it! SPRINT REFUSED TO DO IT! I'm not sure why they refused since my friend's spending limit is $600, and the whole plan costs only about $200/mo (all 4 BlackBerries were charged to his credit card so they won't show up on the first bill), but now my friend is going to have to call Sprint AGAIN to see what the heck is going on. This is turning out to be such a pain in the ____...

Old 01-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
ayu76
Telegraph User

SU$: 466
I totally agree that Sprint credit department is too conservative. I have a friend using Verizon with 4 lines. He knowing I can help him get some discount from Sprint, wanted to port his numbers to Sprint. Do you know what Sprint told us after the dealer called Sprint for manual credit check? No, no line even with deposite. What the hack is that, a customer using Verizon could not have any respect from Sprint, go to h***! (Though I don't know my friend's cerdit status, the outcome of no line totally was not a business man's option.)
ayu76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
chokaay
Now on T-Mobile...

TUES, 1/12/09 - Well, after a couple calls and escalation my friend finally got Sprint to activate international roaming on all his lines, so for the moment he's happy(ier). Something tells me that this was because Sprint was trying to "make-up" for his previous bad experiences and to "save" 4 lines, but who knows. My friend also told me Sprint removed his spending limit and qualified him for a 5th line now. (YAY!... but a few days LATE don't ya think?!? Would have saved us a lot of hassle if you granted my friend a 5 line limit IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!)

As for porting to Verizon, that plan has now been shelved (for now). As it turns out, Verizon has a minimum waiting period of 90 days to activate international roaming, so porting to Verizon wouldn't have helped the "international roaming situation" (although it probably would have helped all the other situations from the previous week or so). Sprint's still "on trial" with my friend, so we'll see how his experience goes from here on out. If anything else goes wrong, my friend just might reconsider porting to Verizon (within his 30-day trial period).
Old 02-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
esmeet7su
Telegraph User

SU$: 403
I just opened a family plan in December and brought over 4 friends to fill out the plan from Verizon and Tracfone (pre-paid) in January. Imagine how shocked I was to find out on January 11th (when we set up their accounts) that the referral program was discontinued. I literally almost told my friends not to join at that point; I was so upset, and I had planned on splitting the referral bonus with them.

If Sprint wants loyal customers to get out there and actively "sell" its services, the company needs to bring back a referral program. If abuse and cash flow are problems, they should follow a referral program like DirecTV's. They spread the referral bonus over 10 months as a statement credit, and the referral bonus goes to both the existing customer and the new customer. This spreads the cost of the referral over a longer period of time, it ensures the customers remain in good standing to receive the credits over time, and it doesn't require any "cash" outlays or external fees for partnering with Visa or other card providers.

Bring back a referral program, Sprint. I have a lot more friends and family I could convince to come over, but without an incentive for me and a little carrot for them to tip the scales, it's just not going to happen. When you bring back a referral program, the customers will come!
esmeet7su is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmeet7su View Post
I just opened a family plan in December and brought over 4 friends to fill out the plan from Verizon and Tracfone (pre-paid) in January. Imagine how shocked I was to find out on January 11th (when we set up their accounts) that the referral program was discontinued. I literally almost told my friends not to join at that point; I was so upset, and I had planned on splitting the referral bonus with them.

If Sprint wants loyal customers to get out there and actively "sell" its services, the company needs to bring back a referral program. If abuse and cash flow are problems, they should follow a referral program like DirecTV's. They spread the referral bonus over 10 months as a statement credit, and the referral bonus goes to both the existing customer and the new customer. This spreads the cost of the referral over a longer period of time, it ensures the customers remain in good standing to receive the credits over time, and it doesn't require any "cash" outlays or external fees for partnering with Visa or other card providers.

Bring back a referral program, Sprint. I have a lot more friends and family I could convince to come over, but without an incentive for me and a little carrot for them to tip the scales, it's just not going to happen. When you bring back a referral program, the customers will come!
I'm sure Sprint will come to the conclusion that they need to do something.

IMO, they should just give a small service credit for each referral you do and cut out the prepaid visa giftcards. $20 for primary lines, $10 for AAP's for both the person suggesting Sprint and the new customer / new line of service. Apply it after the 30 days are up so you know the customer will pay am ETF if they leave and call it a day.

The program paid up to $100 at times and sprint still lost customers. If you cant get an existing customer to try and push the Sprint service for $100 a line, their are other bigger issues.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
big_ole_truck
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 8,421
What an ordeal some people go through to have Sprint service. Incredible.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
esmeet7su
Telegraph User

SU$: 403
If fraud and abuse were reasons for doing away with the referral program, then they should be able to bring back a plan in virtually no time if they implement sufficient controls.

First of all, a referral program offering $50 or $100 in cash (or Visa cards) presents a major incentive to fraudsters. They can print cash by defrauding the system and then use it on anything they want. In addition, they get all of the cash at once, so the payout is quick and complete. Finally, a cash-back incentive program requires cash flow to fund. If Sprint has had some cash flow problems, then maintaining a program like this may have been a challenge due to large outflows of cash up front.

If Sprint wants to reduce the incentive to commit fraud with the referral program, they should offer an $XX statement credit to both the new user and the existing customer (amounts could obviously vary) that is spread out over a period of time (e.g, 10 months). To legitimate Sprint customers who aren't out to defraud the company, this is a valuable incentive (because we all pay our bills each month and are legitimate customers). To fraudsters, this is less of an incentive (1) because their payout is spread over a long period of time and (2) because they can't use the "money" for anything other than Sprint service. (Sprint could even set restrictions so referral money couldn't be applied to purchases of ringtones, equipment, etc.)

DirecTV has been using a $100 referral program like this for about a year now, and I believe it has been effective. Sprint could try something like $50 and give a $10 credit for 5 months, or $100 with a $10 credit spread over 10 months. This would provide an incentive to the "right" kind of people and would prove to be less of an incentive to fraudsters who are trying to get quick cash to spend outside of the Sprint company. The final bonus is that the referral money wouldn't be applied until the new customer is past his/her 30-day trial period and would only be paid out in full if the customer remained loyal to Sprint for 5-10 months.

I know Sprint techs and reps occasionally come on here to answer questions; I searched for a reason why the plan was being terminated and didn't see anything (I may have just missed it; I just joined the community), but if fraud or cost of maintaining the program were issues, something like this would likely fix those problems while still providing incentives to new and existing customers.
esmeet7su is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Rants, Debates, & Farewells - All Carriers > RANT: Why Does Sprint Make It So Hard To Refer New Customers?!?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: