Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 12-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Midwife
Baby Catcher

Phone: Palm Centro
SU$: 977
Importing Contacts from Micro SD to Address Book

Hi All and Holiday Greetings! Just swapped to a Blackberry Curve and can't seem to figure out on this bomb how to get my contacts imported from my micro SD card into the address book so I don't have to input them one by one. Now granted there are A LOT of things I can't seem to do as yet (BB Virgin) but if I could just get the contacts imported that would be SWEET and I could go to bed! Any help out here in SU land? Big thanks in advance!
Midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
jessep28
That's Numberwang!

Mood: Amused
Phone: HTC One M8
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 67,625
What format are they in?
jessep28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Midwife
Baby Catcher

Hey There Jessep. Thanks for the hollar back! Seems they are in a .vcf file. I saved the contacts off the Katana DLX to the SD card and they saved as a .vcf file. Can't seem to get them from there into the BB.

Is there a BB Curve for Dummies thread around here? I've stepped into a whole other animal with this thing. Evertime I pick it up I feel like Capt. Kurk and Spock when they transported from the safety of the Enterprise onto unknown planets! Can't even find the volume control at this point! Missed three calls this morning 'cause I can't hear it ring and sure don't know who is calling without the phone recognizing my contacts. The user's manual is well ... let's just say lacking. But getting my contacts on the thing would be wonderful. Appreciate the help.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Midwife
Baby Catcher

Oh and BTW ... I tried to send the contacts like a hundred times via bluetooth from the Katana DLX to the Curve. I used 0000 for the PIN on both devices for lack of knowing what PINs to use. Says the devices are paired but when the Katana tries to send, it ends up giving me a message that the device (BB) is not connected. The BB tries to connect (receive?) for about a nano second but doesn't follow through. On the BB in the "Manage Connections", says the bluetooth is on but there is a yellow circle with a "-" in it, not the green circle with the check mark like the network connections. I can see the Katana on the BB in the "bluetooth enabled paired devices" but when I use the menu button from there, there is no option to connect. Whew ... sorry for being so wordy but not familiar enough with this thing yet to use shortcuts in my verbage! Again ... thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
jessep28
That's Numberwang!

1) Importing contacts:

If you are able to get that file from your old phone into Outlook, you can then sync your Outlook address book to the Blackberry using desktop manager (the CD that came with your phone).

2) Learning how to use the phone:

Here are a couple good reference pages:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-lecture-series
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/

The forums on crackberry.com, pinstack.com and blackberryforums.com also serve as indispensable resources for your questions or issues.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Midwife
Baby Catcher

Thanks a big bunch. Saved the links for later tonight when I have classroom time. Seems I have more problems (phone isn't and won't provision ... no web access, Sprint TV etc. Provisioning error codes) so think I'll skip off to the Sprint store to head off a migraine! They get paid for this right! LOL!! Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
jessep28
That's Numberwang!

You can contact Blackberry support directly at 1-877-654-9111. From what I've heard, they are pretty good and may be of more help than the Sprint store.

As always, use a different phone than the Blackberry so you don't have to hang up to troubleshoot.

Last edited by jessep28; 12-23-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #8
Midwife
Baby Catcher

Well, seems they've closed my Sprint Store and every one within 40 miles of me. So I called *2 and phone prompted to technical support. Ended up with a reasonably knowledgable young woman who helped me on a few issues. HOWEVER, seems Sprint is having a nation-wide issue across the network today that will not allow the provisioning of devices. I keep getting "Error Code 1012" so provisioning won't happen. She told me to just keep trying as they don't know when they will get the issues resolved.

As for the contacts, she wasn't helpful there. She had to do the push and sell on the Sprint service for transferring contacts. I'm not having any luck transferring them through Outlook and the bluetooth still ain't happening. Now that the nearest Sprint store is a day trip away, looks like I may have to add them individually. At least I do know how to do that! Thanks again for the info and heads up on the nationwide network outage. Don't know what that will mean for others but it sucks for me!! LOL!!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
jessep28
That's Numberwang!

Did you try calling that 1-877 number and choosing Blackberry Solutions? They may be able to provide an answer with regards to your contacts.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
Midwife
Baby Catcher

Hope a special Christmas was had by all; the same also prompted my delayed post.

Yes Jessep, I did finally call the number you provided. Renewed my faith and opinion of SCS for sure so thanks for the help. The young woman spent a great deal of time helping me to set up my email, teaching me about the phone and trying to help me transfer my contacts. She had the patience of Job with this BB virgin. Because this is my only phone (have no land line) she even called me back no less than 4 times during the evening while I accomlished some more time consuming tasks. Now ultimately, I had to go into a Sprint store (50 miles away that I passed while traveling home for the holiday) and they transferred the contact in less than 3 minutes. For everyone reading, save yourself A LOT of headache and take the phone to a Sprint store to have the contacts transferred. There is no EASY way to do it otherwise. And to answer the bluetooth question ... they will not transfer via bluetooth. Peace!
Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 AM   #11
ipers
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 8
Hy Midwife,
i'm having the same problem (transfer contacts from N70 to BlackBerry). How did Sprint Store solved this ? If not possible via bluetooth and I can't do with PC (BB Desktop Manager) in which way may I transfer ? It's possible via SD card ? Have you seen in which way they did it ?
Thanks in advance...
Ian
ipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 PM   #12
stacerace
Sprint Technical Support

Phone: lg fusic
SU$: 984
Why don't you just use the switch device wizard in the blackberry desktop?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
He123321
Fan of Jesus.

Mood: Angelic
Phone: S3
Trades: 11
My Mood: Angelic
SU$: 13,763
RIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacerace View Post

The BB switch device wizard is the worst IMO. I'vee tried everything in the book, and no luck to date. A trip to my local Sprint store solved my headache.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 AM   #14
Liquid-X
Sprint Technical Support Monkey

SU$: 9,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacerace View Post
Because we don't guarantee it's going to work when trying to transfer from a Non-Blackberry device to a Blackberry.
Liquid-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > RIM BlackBerry Phones > Importing Contacts from Micro SD to Address Book

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: