Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
gtcaz
Telegraph User

Phone: BlackBerry 8330
SU$: 116
Government Fees & Taxes

Just wondering -- I'm in Arizona, so why am I getting these fees added to my bill? I googled around, and I know they add on some admin fees, but this seems a bit excessive, especially the out-of-state stuff. Is this normal for Sprint? Are all carriers doing the same thing?

Code:
Sprint Surcharges	 $11.96
Hide Details And Explanation of Charges
Sprint Surcharges are rates we choose to collect from you to help defray costs imposed on us. Surcharges are not taxes or amounts we are required to collect from you by law. Surcharges may include: Federal USF, regulatory charges, administrative charges, gross receipts charges, and other charges incurred to recover costs associated with governmental programs. The amounts, and the components used to calculate Surcharge amounts, are subject to change.
 	Federal-Univ Serv Assess Non-LD	 $1.98
 	Arizona State-911 Taxes	 $0.40
 	Arizona State-Tele Sales Surcharge	 $2.87
 	Pennsylvania State-Gross Receipts Recovery	 $0.56
 	Maricopa County-Tele Sales Surcharge	 $0.02
 	Pima County-Tele Sales Surcharge	 $0.25
 	Phoenix City-Tele Sales Surcharge	 $0.10
 	Tucson City-Public Utility Tax	 $0.99
 	Tucson City-Tele Sales Surcharge	 $0.99
 	Administrative Charge	 $3.00
 	Regulatory Charge	 $0.80
 	--------------
 	$11.96
Government Fees & Taxes	 $4.08
Hide Details And Explanation of Charges
Taxes and fees Sprint is required to collect from customers on behalf of the government.
 	Florida State-Comm Service Tax	 $1.03
 	Pennsylvania State-911 Taxes	 $1.00
 	Pennsylvania State-Sales Tax	 $0.70
 	Seminole County-911 Taxes	 $0.50
 	Philadelphia City-Sales Tax	 $0.12
 	Winter Springs City-Comm Service Tax	 $0.73
 	--------------
 	$4.08
gtcaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Did your account have a PA address or number associated with it? It seems sprint is charging you taxes from 3 taxing authorities, so a little more info would be helpful about where the number is from, billing address, primary use area....
Old 12-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
gtcaz
Telegraph User

Nope, just Arizona. Always had the account here. Billing address, use, and number are all here in AZ.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
gtcaz
Telegraph User

Ah, my wife's sister does have a phone number assigned in PA (though she now lives in CT). Dunno about the Florida stuff.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
Dan
Forever my Angel

well, that explains the PA taxes and fee's if its on your account.

If you have no florida connection you need to call sprint and inquire why they are charging you florida taxes / fee's.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:43 AM   #6
gtcaz
Telegraph User

Well, her phone is not on our account, but I was thinking maybe it was from calling her long distance to a PA number (that now resides in CT). Does that make sense? I'll have to investigate with Sprint and see if any past bills had different taxes/fees.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
Dan
Forever my Angel

the only taxes and fees you should be assessed are for your home state, your billing address, or the state one of the numbers in "hosted" in if you have out of state numbers on your account.

I call my relatives in Ohio on my phone, even roam in Ohio a couple times a year, but never pay Ohio taxes or fee's.

Remember, sprint has multiple options for billing address and service address so you can have a number for a college student in the area they live in but have the bill sent home to mom and dad, etc. I'd say call sprint and see if they have something screwed up!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
pixielee
smile and believe

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: BB Style
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 2,427
at some point the system believes a FL and a PA number were active on the account - you pay taxes by area code - NOT just billing address -

I had 2 nebraska and 1 Kansas number on my account and paid taxes for both - when all 3 became nebraska numbers ( and my billing address was now nebraska too ) it took 4 months and 4 phone calls to get the taxes correct
pixielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
LilbearWS
Telegraph User

Phone: LG Muziq
SU$: 1,446
Sprint has two different kinds of address information. The first is the billing address, which as the name implies, the address that the bill is sent out to. There is also a user address. Each line has an address setup for it, and usually its just the billing address, but it may vary, for instance if your kid is off to college and updated it, or if you have a phone for your parents who live in another state. The taxes are calculated based on the user address. If you call in to change your billing address, the rep has to take an extra step to change all the addresses so that you don't get charged the wrong taxes, but they may omit that. So if your being taxed for the wrong state, that's usually the problem.
LilbearWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Government Fees & Taxes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: