Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
twospirits
Telegraph User

Phone: EVO 4G
SU$: 412
Sprint Touch Diamond tethering How To...

Bit of a background...
Model: Sprint Touch Diamond (original ROM)
Laptop: HP tx2500 Tablet PC
Plan: SERO F&F 500

In searching the forums, I find that the amount of information presented on tethering is quite a lot. Although I try using different search parameters, I still am unable to find a solution to the following questions. I'm actually surprise that with the amount of tethering topics, that there isn't a FAQ/sticky thread about it. Therefore...

1-Is there a Sprint Touch Diamond "How to" wiki? and or FAQ?
2-Does the info on how to tether your Sprint Touch (1st generation) apply to the Sprint Diamond / and or upcoming Pro. If so,

after reading quite a few threads on the matter, I decided to buy PDANet as some have suggested and it works fine, (currently using it right now to upload this mesage), but my third question would be (since I'm on the SERO 500 plan),
3-Is there a limitation to the amount of data transmitted (with the plan I have) and or will Sprint give me an early Christmas present (to them, not to me) in a form of a huge bill.

mind you, I do not plan on downloading huge amount of data, just mainly checking my emails, catching up on forum reading, and when I need a interent connection such as out on the road for a few minutes at a time.

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

TS
twospirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
ocbizlaw
Telegraph User

Phone: Sprint Diamond
SU$: 571
Other people have very sophisticated methods but they are all, frankly, over my head. I use PDANet and it works fine for me. I am exactly the kind of user as you describe yourself to be. I suppose I could figure out all the hacks and all but the 20 bucks I spent on PDANet save me all that trouble, it works and I've never been contacted by Sprint about my usage. Last week I was in a client' office the entire week with no wifi and I used my phone the entire time just as if I were in my office.
ocbizlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
ink718
Account Inactive

Phone: Touch Pro
Trades: 4
SU$: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to ink718
I have the Diamond but havn't used it. But try this. Open up PIE, goto a website and make internet connection. Then goto Start Programs & look for a program called "internet sharing". If you see it, open it up and the first option select "Sprint PCS" and second option select "USB". Hit "CONNECT" on the bottom left corner. Connect the USB wire to the phone and computer. Should work. This is how you do it on a Mogul and Touch. Not sure if the options are the same on the Diamond. Or provide pictures and I will prolly be able to help further.
ink718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
ocbizlaw
Telegraph User

Phone: Sprint Diamond
SU$: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink718 View Post
I have the Diamond but havn't used it. But try this. Open up PIE, goto a website and make internet connection. Then goto Start Programs & look for a program called "internet sharing". If you see it, open it up and the first option select "Sprint PCS" and second option select "USB". Hit "CONNECT" on the bottom left corner. Connect the USB wire to the phone and computer. Should work. This is how you do it on a Mogul and Touch. Not sure if the options are the same on the Diamond. Or provide pictures and I will prolly be able to help further.
This didn't work for me and when I called Sprint they said I had to add tethering for however many $$ to my SEP. I didn't want to pay more and PDANet works for me without the tethering plan so that's why I stay with it.
ocbizlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
Gary G. Little
Software engineer

Phone: iPhone 5
SU$: 6,558
Quote:
Things have changed with the Diamond. It should be:

Start->Programs->Internet Sharing.

Then select USB or Bluetooth PAN.

Gary
Gary G. Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
ink718
Account Inactive

Phone: Touch Pro
Trades: 4
SU$: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to ink718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocbizlaw View Post
This didn't work for me and when I called Sprint they said I had to add tethering for however many $$ to my SEP. I didn't want to pay more and PDANet works for me without the tethering plan so that's why I stay with it.
You don't need a PAM plan even if you use the route I stated because Sprint can't detect tethering on WM phones. I do it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary G. Little View Post

Gary
Yea I figured since its WM 6.1.
ink718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
richm2004
Telegraph User

SU$: 91
You don't need PDAnet to tether on the Diamond. All you need to do is the following:
1. Edit the following regestry entries. Hard part is finding a registry editor, but they are out there:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing]
Extension="" Delete the "isext.dll" entry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\settings]
ForceCellConnection="Sprint PCS"

MaxCMCon=0

2. Start the Internet Sharing application.
3. Hit Connect In the Internet Sharing application.
4. Connect the Diamond to the Laptop/PC via USB
5. Done. No other applications needs to run on the PC/Laptop.

Note that I upgraded from a PPC6700 and there was an application on the PC that you needed to run in order to tether. Not needed for the Diamond. I have a 2+ year old "unlimited" vision plan and I have been tethering all over the US/Hawaii and have not been charged for PAM. I've had the Diamond for half a billing cycle and I have also not been charged with PAM. Yes, you can use PDANet like some other folks have done, but making 3 simple registry edits will also work.

There is also a CAB floating around that does the above registry changes as well as some other stuff, but I'd rather do the changes manually.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by richm2004; 10-03-2008 at 11:03 AM.
richm2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
Whiteorchids
Telegraph User

Phone: Samsung M510
SU$: 370
Quote:

What is PIE?
Whiteorchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
Whiteorchids
Telegraph User

Phone: Samsung M510
SU$: 370
Can you make the fonts large on this phone for text messaging? On all my other samsungs the large font was still tiny. Also, does this phone have true MMS picturemail to other phone? Thanks
Whiteorchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
Gary G. Little
Software engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteorchids View Post
What is PIE?
A circular confection with fruit or cream filling between two layers of dough ... oh ... it could also be short hand for PPC Internet Explorer.

PIE is, or was, the standard browser that is in WM. The Diamond and the Touch 6.1 upgrade also include Opera 9.5.

Gary
Old 10-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
asianman35
Telegraph User

Phone: BlackberryCurve
SU$: 118
I used this method and it worked great, just instead of 'Sprint PCS' i had to use 'Sprint' because thats what my connection was called under connection manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richm2004 View Post
You don't need PDAnet to tether on the Diamond. All you need to do is the following:
1. Edit the following regestry entries. Hard part is finding a registry editor, but they are out there:

MaxCMCon=0

Note that I upgraded from a PPC6700 and there was an application on the PC that you needed to run in order to tether. Not needed for the Diamond. I have a 2+ year old "unlimited" vision plan and I have been tethering all over the US/Hawaii and have not been charged for PAM. I've had the Diamond for half a billing cycle and I have also not been charged with PAM. Yes, you can use PDANet like some other folks have done, but making 3 simple registry edits will also work.

There is also a CAB floating around that does the above registry changes as well as some other stuff, but I'd rather do the changes manually.

Hope this helps!
asianman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:58 PM   #12
monkeyboy
(candy)bar hopper

Trades: 2
SU$: 50,292
Quote:
A circular confection with fruit or cream filling between two layers of dough ... oh ... it could also be short hand for PPC Internet Explorer.

PIE is, or was, the standard browser that is in WM. The Diamond and the Touch 6.1 upgrade also include Opera 9.5.
nitpicks...
PIE == POCKET Internet Explorer (it is included in WM/Smartphone as well as WM/PPC)

Touch 6.1 ROM includes Opera 8.65, not Opera 9.5. However Opera 9.5 can be added, the big question is which one (there are at least a dozen different builds of Opera 9.5 that work on the Touch, each with specific quirks and gotchas)...
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:49 PM   #13
Brenn
Telephone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: TOUR
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 2,441
To edit the registry I use CE RegEditor for 2 reasons, it is free and you can do it from your desktop which makes everything so much easier to read and write, thus less mistakes.

You can download it here:
http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/

Simple to use, install program to PC, connect phone with desktop using activesync (Not file explore). Run program.

Brenn
Brenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:55 PM   #14
Gary G. Little
Software engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
nitpicks...
PIE == POCKET Internet Explorer (it is included in WM/Smartphone as well as WM/PPC)

Touch 6.1 ROM includes Opera 8.65, not Opera 9.5. However Opera 9.5 can be added, the big question is which one (there are at least a dozen different builds of Opera 9.5 that work on the Touch, each with specific quirks and gotchas)...
The version in the Touch Diamond is 9.5, build 1907.

Gary
Old 10-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
Monk3y
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Diamond
SU$: 405
Send a message via AIM to Monk3y Send a message via MSN to Monk3y Send a message via Yahoo to Monk3y
Quote:

Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by richm2004 View Post

MaxCMCon=0

So which method is best to use? Gary's or Richm's?
Monk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Windows Phone > Windows Mobile (6.x and earlier) > Sprint Touch Diamond tethering How To...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: