Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Cody
Formerly known as CodyBB and CodyPPC. I dont know who I am now

Mood: Busy
Phone: EVO
My Mood: Busy
SU$: 11,332
Send a message via AIM to Cody
Proper OS Upgrade / OS Downgrade Procedure

i see the questions showing up here more and more. i have used this link below to learn a lot. hope it helps someone else.

if you still have question after reading the link below... reply here and I/we will help you.

cody

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...59/#post513342
PDA's I've owned... Nextel... i930, BB 7100i Windows Mobile... PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), PPC-6900 (touch), PPC-6800 (mogul), Diamond, treo 800w, Treo Pro (850), Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2 Palm... Treo 700p, Treo 755p Android... Hero, EVO Blackberry... 7250, 7100, 8130 (pearl), 8330 (curve), 9630 (tour), 9650 (Bold)
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
VibrantRedGT
Your Average Joe

Phone: iPhone4
Trades: 10
SU$: 15,817
I don't understand deleting of the vendor xml. file. I think I'll wait until I'm more familiar with the device. Afraid I might brick it. The Windows phones were great for updates since they were plug and play.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero->Samsung Moment->Touch Pro WM6.5.5 ENERGY ROM
VibrantRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
ripster
Two Cans & String User

Phone: BB Storm
SU$: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
I don't understand deleting of the vendor xml. file. I think I'll wait until I'm more familiar with the device. Afraid I might brick it. The Windows phones were great for updates since they were plug and play.
What is there that you dont understand about deleting the vendor file?

Locate it under the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader" directory and delete it. Simple as that.
ripster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Cody
Formerly known as CodyBB and CodyPPC. I dont know who I am now

Mood: Busy
Phone: EVO
My Mood: Busy
SU$: 11,332
Send a message via AIM to Cody
Quote:
I don't understand deleting of the vendor xml. file.
ok, i will try my best to explain...

the vendor file is what personalizes you the operating system for your carrier. for example... all themes for all blackberry carriers are loaded and included with every blackberry OS. the vendor file tells which themes to load on to the device when installing.
if your device matches the vendor file everything and only the things that the carrier wanted to install with the os will be installed. so, if sprint it the carrier that released the os, the vendor file would be sprints. in turn, the themes, pictures, ringtones, ect would be sprints. if you had a sprint device, you would not need to delete this vendor file and you would get everything thay wanted you to have.
many people have edited the right alx file and installed all the themes. i dont know why you would want at&t on your sprint device, but some do. if you want to know how.... here is a link

bottom line is it is painless.

AFTER you have installed the OS on your PC, go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete the vendor file. now your ready to install to the device.

Quote:
I think I'll wait until I'm more familiar with the device.
this is really a good idea. how else are you going to know if you like it. if everything is running good. i always try to keep my device stock with no 3rd party apps, reg edits, ect for a week or so just so i have something to compair it to when i think something is wrong. it usuall only last for a few hours and then im adding, removing, and hacking. i just love that part. lol

Quote:
The Windows phones were great for updates since they were plug and play.
the carrier released OS upgrades are really the same. the only difference between bb and wm are...

1. wm doesn't allow you to remove individual apps from the base os. bb does. for example... i dont use bb maps. i use sprint navagition and google maps. i removed this because i didn't need it. i removed a few silly apps that i didn't use. kind of a way to save memory.

2. one os for all cdma carriers with BB. wm has no way of taking a carrier released os from verizon and loading it on a sprint device.

both really have you install os on computer first. wm just extracts it in to temp folders first and then deletes it. bb keeps it there so you can add, remove, whatever from the os to device at any time. for example, i could load bb maps back on my device just as easy as i load any 3rd party program. just go to application loader and they'll all be there.

hope this helps, cody
PDA's I've owned... Nextel... i930, BB 7100i Windows Mobile... PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), PPC-6900 (touch), PPC-6800 (mogul), Diamond, treo 800w, Treo Pro (850), Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2 Palm... Treo 700p, Treo 755p Android... Hero, EVO Blackberry... 7250, 7100, 8130 (pearl), 8330 (curve), 9630 (tour), 9650 (Bold)
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > RIM BlackBerry Phones > Proper OS Upgrade / OS Downgrade Procedure

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: