Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average. Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Mahee
"lalalala... I can't hear you"

Trades: 4
SU$: 74,429
You CAN fight Sprint / Asurion and WIN!

In a nutshell ~ Called Asurion for a replacement handset, $50 charge applied to Sprint account, defective handset returned. All was good,right?!?

WRONG! Three months later, there's a $200 charge on the bill for a defective handset. Called Sprint, who said I had to call Asurion. Called Asurion, got stuck in recorded message loop-hell. Called Sprint (again), was told to e-mail Asurion, so I did (last night). Received Asurion response and CREDIT to Sprint account (today), less than 24 hrs. later.

I was lucky *this time* to have the "Sprint (Asurion) nightmare" last less than 24 hrs.

For reference (if you find yourself in this situation), my e-mail and Asurion's response are below:

My e-mail ~ (using the word erroneous MANY times to get my point across)

I am writing to inform you of an erroneous charge regarding non-return
of defective equipment.

I called Assurion to report a defective handset. A new handset was
sent along with a return envelope for the defective handset. The
defective handset was returned in the envelope provided within the
alloted timeframe. I am now being charged on my Sprint bill for
non-return of the defective handset. I would like this erroneous
charge removed.

Details:

03-25-08 - Claim Made - Reference # XXXXXXXX
03-26-08 - Replacement handset sent
03-27-08 - Replacement handset received
03-28-08 - Replacement handset activated
04-01-08 - Defective handset returned
Handset & battery were returned in envelope provided within 4 days of
receipt of replacement handset.
Address on envelope was: Postage Due Unit, US Postal Service, 7400
Jefferson Blvd., Louisville, KY 40219
My return address was also clearly written on the envelope

As per my telephone conversation with Sprint, I am to furnish the
following information so that you may investigate this issue and
locate the returned handset so that the erroneous charge will be
reversed on my account.

1) Account Number: XXXXXXXXX
2) Phone Number: XXXXXXXXXX
3) ESN on Defective Handset (returned): XXXXXXXXXXX

I would appreciate your prompt attention and response to this matter
as the erroneous charge to my account will be affecting my credit
standing with Sprint, as well as other creditors.

You may respond to me as follows:

e-mail: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
cell phone: XXXXXXXXXX (after 3 p.m. EST)

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

THEIR RESPONSE ~ Less than 24 hrs. later

Confirmation - Update to Your Sprint Account is Complete

Dear XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sprint has completed a modification(s) to your account. Please review this confirmation carefully to ensure
the changes were made just as you asked:

Confirmation no.: XXXXXXXX Rep Id: XXXXXX Date/Time: Jul 24, 2008 02:31 pm(CST)
Modification(s): On 07/24/2008, an adjustment in the amount of $200.00 was made to your account

Have a question or concern?
We're here to assist you - simply use one of these methods to contact Sprint Customer Care:
. Email: Visit Sprint.com and click on Contact Us; select Email from the customer service column
. Chat: Visit Sprint.com and click on Contact Us; select Got questions? Click to chat option
. Phone: Press *2 from your Sprint handset

You are a valued Sprint customer - We appreciate your business!

Mahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #2
Dragonman
SU Expert judge MAS 2011

Mood: Cool
Phone: Galaxy S II
My Mood: Cool
SU$: 9,734
Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonman Send a message via Skype™ to Dragonman
Wirelessly posted (Treo 755p: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D060; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

The Red Carpet Service initiative makes this MUCH easier...Glad you were taken care of properly!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Mahee

Even though I spent about an hour between 3 calls to Sprint, 2 to Asurion, and the e-mail to Asurion, I must admit...I was pleasantly surprised to have this resolved so easily and in less than 24 hrs. (unlike most issues I've had to deal w/Sprint in the past 10+ yrs.)

Last edited by Mahee; 07-24-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
MRSBROWN2006
CERTIFIED CRACKBERRY ABUSER!!

Phone: BB9630 TOUR
SU$: 264
You Were Lucky

Lucky you, only took an hour away from your day. I only filed one claim with Asurion ever and after two weeks, I bought a new phone on Ebay and saved money in the process. I have tEP on my acct for appearance purposes, but honestly, I would never use it. The one time I tried to they made it difficult for me, wanted the dedcutible and I had been paying for it 7yrs at that point with no previous claim ever filed. So nice to hear someone else had a happy ending there (though seeing a $200 charge would have made me hit the floor).
Old 08-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
MISTRESS
Don't Make Me the Object of Your Insecurities

Mood: InLove
Phone: Palm
My Mood: InLove
SU$: 5,698
OP the same thing happened to me in March. I returned def phone on 3/27 and junes bill had the charge. I personally think it's a scam to catch ppl off guard.
MISTRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
musiclover45
Two Cans & String User

Phone: sony
SU$: 22
My iphone

hello,
I've taken my Mogul to the Sprint store about 5 times since August and got it replaced for free every single time. I dropped it once onto a hardwood floor and the two pieces came apart, but then still replaced it for free since they couldn't fix it. I dropped it in the toilet while trying to shave just 2 days later (dumb I know) and the same guy was there and replaced it for free even though I think you have to pay a $50 deductable if that happens. Currently I took it to the store 2 days ago, because the text message/internet explorer button on my phone fell off (I guess after multiple drops). I just found out that I'm officially going to AT&T for the new iPhone sometime next week so I guess I'll be putting the new phone on eBay as soon as I get it...but the $7 insurance really came in handy. I'm going to have to be extra careful when I switch over since AT&T won't offer it for the iPhone...

thanks !!
musiclover45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #7
Mahee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSBROWN2006 View Post
. . . (though seeing a $200 charge would have made me hit the floor).
"hit the floor" is a mild description ~ LIVID would probably be more like it!! I was actually out-of-state when my son called to tell me about the bill. My first thought was "what do you think I can do about it right at this moment" (LOL), and my next was "GREAT...here we go again (wrangling w/Sprint!)

Typically ~ any issue that arises w/Sprint ultimately turns into a *disaster* that can last from 2-3 days to months to straighten out. I CRINGE every time I discover "CRAP...I have to call Sprint!". I should have known there'd be a price to pay for having the original issue handled so quickly and easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTRESS View Post
OP the same thing happened to me in March. I returned def phone on 3/27 and junes bill had the charge. I personally think it's a scam to catch ppl off guard.
Three months is the standard time frame (as I was told by the Sprint C/S Rep.) for Asurion to *decide* they haven't received a defective handset and then contact Sprint to have the $200 non-return charge added to your account.

Here's another *kicker* ~ Sprint told me there will be an unpaid balance fee added to the account for carrying the $200 balance due (the erroneous charge). This is a classic example of just sucking it up and paying the damn fee (a buck or two) just so you don't have to deal w/Sprint and the possibility of them screwing up something major (when *a simple credit* would be the fix).

"All together now ~ let's chant . . . "WE LOVE SPRINT!!"

Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
sde780
Digital PCS User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro
Trades: 18
SU$: 8,567
Send a message via AIM to sde780
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSBROWN2006 View Post
Lucky you, only took an hour away from your day. I only filed one claim with Asurion ever and after two weeks, I bought a new phone on Ebay and saved money in the process. I have tEP on my acct for appearance purposes, but honestly, I would never use it. The one time I tried to they made it difficult for me, wanted the dedcutible and I had been paying for it 7yrs at that point with no previous claim ever filed. So nice to hear someone else had a happy ending there (though seeing a $200 charge would have made me hit the floor).
If your phone has been damaged beyond repair or liquid damaged, you'd have to pay the $50 deductible even if you have insurance. I don't think they look at your previous 7 years and say, "Oh, this customer hasn't filed a report for the past 7 years, let's waive the $50 deductible."

Your local Sprint stores can order replacements for you, instead of you having to call Asurion. They arrive in about 3 days, and lots of stores have loaner phones to use while you wait.
sde780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
wrybread
Telegraph User

SU$: 339
Here's a funny one:

My Sierra aircard died, and Asurion denied payment for it since I hadn't logged onto the Sprint network for over 60 days. Nevermind that I'd been paying for insurance during that period, and for air service. I explained that I'd been out of the country for about a month, and that I don't use the thing that often, but they wouldn't budge.

Rip off!
wrybread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
some18mybrain
Still Going Strong

Mood: Mellow
Phone: Galaxy SIII
Trades: 2
My Mood: Mellow
SU$: 29,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrybread View Post
Here's a funny one:

My Sierra aircard died, and Asurion denied payment for it since I hadn't logged onto the Sprint network for over 60 days. Nevermind that I'd been paying for insurance during that period, and for air service. I explained that I'd been out of the country for about a month, and that I don't use the thing that often, but they wouldn't budge.

Rip off!
See my response in your other thread. It pretty much explains your responsibility with the insurance.
Every smile that lights my face; Every teardrop, every trace; Every secret hidden place; Belongs to you. Everything that's good in me; All I'll ever hope to be; Every drop of every dream; Belongs to you.
Frank and Rebecca - Joined forever on May 16th, 2009
some18mybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
wrybread
Telegraph User

SU$: 339
> See my response in your other thread.
> It pretty much explains your responsibility with the insurance.

Actually, your posting had nothing to do with me at all, since it says I have to make the claim within 60 days ***if I lose the device***. I didn't lose it, its sitting right next to me. Its broken, big difference.

I could understand wanting people to make a claim within 60 days of losing their device, which prevents fraud. But what difference does it make when my device broke?

I posted a long post in the other thread but apparently its being held for moderation, but much more details there.

In short: ASURION IS A SCAM! AND SO IS SPRINT! I just switched to Verizon and I recommend anyone else on Sprint do so too.
wrybread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
some18mybrain
Still Going Strong

Mood: Mellow
Phone: Galaxy SIII
Trades: 2
My Mood: Mellow
SU$: 29,551
Actually, it had everything to do with you. It speaks of a Loss as not just being lost or stolen, but a general loss(meaning not able to use the device)...hence the section underneath explaining that if you still have the device you suffered the Loss of, you have to send it back to them within 10 days of receiving your replacement.
Every smile that lights my face; Every teardrop, every trace; Every secret hidden place; Belongs to you. Everything that's good in me; All I'll ever hope to be; Every drop of every dream; Belongs to you.
Frank and Rebecca - Joined forever on May 16th, 2009
some18mybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #13
SiquePupi
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Centro
SU$: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by sde780 View Post
If your phone has been damaged beyond repair or liquid damaged, you'd have to pay the $50 deductible even if you have insurance. I don't think they look at your previous 7 years and say, "Oh, this customer hasn't filed a report for the past 7 years, let's waive the $50 deductible."

Your local Sprint stores can order replacements for you, instead of you having to call Asurion. They arrive in about 3 days, and lots of stores have loaner phones to use while you wait.
If you have TEP Most of the time they will find some phantom corrosion & claim liquid damage, but if you only have ESRP they will just replace it & you save the $50 Co-pay
Text Messaging: Free unlimited on line 1, $1 500 SMS lines 2-3
SiquePupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
smile4me
Two Cans & String User

Phone: samsung m500
SU$: 54
What i would advise is to read the insurance policy. Reguardless of what is wrong with your phone you have 60days to report it. If there is no usage on your device in the past 60 days the insurance will not cover it. I learned the hard way. And yes it is the same for any cell phone company.
smile4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Total Equipment Protection > You CAN fight Sprint / Asurion and WIN!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: