Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
punkcrib
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC TP2
SU$: 720
Best Buy deals: Will I have to change my plan?

So my GF is wanting to get the Centro. Neither of us are marked as "available for rebate" because of a HUGE screw up to our account in October, all of which was a CS rep's fault. I called to add her to my account (she had her own, we just wanted to switch liability or whatever it is called), but the guy ended up giving both her and I new numbers, which took forever to correct.

When I recently called to inquire about my GF's rebate status, they told me we were both not eligible until Oct 2008 (for 1 year), Oct 2010 (for 2 year). Obviously this means we lost our rebates (I've had my phone 2 years now) when they effed up our account. So the rep added a code to our "notes" that we were both eligible for the full rebate, but he said it would only be good for 30 days.

So we go into Best Buy today, and the rep tells us that they now acknowledge Sprint's rebates. With a 2 year (full) rebate, the centro would be $119. This is more than $100 off of Sprint's rebate price (399 - 150 = 249). So this made her really want to get the phone from Best Buy.

Now my question: We both have SERO $30/mo plans. I know with Sprint to get the rebate you need to have at least $34.99 (or 39.99?). Will we have to change her plan if we get the phone through Best Buy? The rep told us no, but I don't want to do it and then find out otherwise. Also, since our rebate status is really a code on our account, will the Best Buy rep be able to acknowledge our rebate?

Anyone with a SERO plan ever get a phone through Best Buy using your Sprint rebate? Thanks to anyone who has some input.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
bjn
Amazingly Awesome

Phone: Treo 755p/blue
SU$: 12,156
The SERO plan is an exception to Sprint's $34.99 rule and SERO users are still eligible for upgrades at the appropriate times. If Best Buy honors Sprint's rebates, they should allow you to get it without changing your plan.
bjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
G0AT
Sleepy Time!

Mood: Doh
Phone: Galaxy S III
Trades: 12
My Mood: Doh
SU$: 73,163
Send a message via Yahoo to G0AT Send a message via Skype™ to G0AT
I don't know much about this. I have been looking at this for my wife actually. She is up for the $75 off upgrade. I noticed on the Sprint rebates though it now says a plan of $29.99 or more so the SERO plan does qualify for that. I recently got the 800w through telesales and was sworn up and down to that I would be able to get the rebate so we will see about that. So anyone else got some insight on upgrading at Best Buy with a SERO plan?
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #4
punkcrib
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjn View Post
The SERO plan is an exception to Sprint's $34.99 rule and SERO users are still eligible for upgrades at the appropriate times. If Best Buy honors Sprint's rebates, they should allow you to get it without changing your plan.
I heard that the $34.99 exception was for NEW customers getting SERO, not existing customers w/ SERO. Is this the case?

So if I call telesales and ask them for an upgrade, they would give me the Centro for $150 off and not have to change my plan? Just renew the contract, right?

Also is there a way to get more than $150 off? With the 2 year rebate ($150) it is still $249 through sprint for the Centro. I've heard of existing customers getting it for $99 (2 year rebate, plus some other 100$ MIR or something).
Old 07-19-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
C1787GJ
Telephone User

Phone: PALM PRE
SU$: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to C1787GJ
Taken right from the upgrade eligibility page To take advantage of these offers, your account must be in good standing, and you'll need to sign up for the following:

* A $34.99 per month or higher Sprint Service Plan (does not apply to SERO and Sprint Relay customers).
* Either a new one- or two-year Sprint subscriber agreement
* Except for Sprint.com purchases, a new phone activation fee of up to $18 applies
* Program expires September 1, 2008

So if you have SERO and the date on this page https://manage.sprintpcs.com/special...anity:upgrades says eligible then they should honor it at Best Buy, RadioShack, or Sprint stores...
Old 07-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
punkcrib
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1787GJ View Post
So if you have SERO and the date on this page https://manage.sprintpcs.com/special...anity:upgrades says eligible then they should honor it at Best Buy, RadioShack, or Sprint stores...
Great, thanks for the info on SERO customers not needing a plan higher than $34.99. However, I checked my rebate status through that link above, and it says not eligible. I figured this would be the case, as my eligibility is based on a "code" in my account notes, not on my actual upgrade rebate date.

Is there a way to make this so Best Buy will see that I am (temporarily) eligible?
Old 07-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
Brooose
Recovering Phone Addict

Phone: EVO 3D
Trades: 39
SU$: 1,486
Send a message via AIM to Brooose Send a message via MSN to Brooose Send a message via Yahoo to Brooose
I just upgraded a line at Best Buy and got the 2 yr upgrade price on my $30 SERO plan. They had to call in to do the ESN swap because my account didn't come up in SNAP. Otherwise, it went off without a hitch. In fact, it was better than many of my Sprint Store experiences.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:22 AM   #8
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 14,690
um.. the centro through sprint ends up being $99 after a $100 mail in rebate, so you'd be paying more at best buy by a hair.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:04 AM   #9
Brooose
Recovering Phone Addict

Phone: EVO 3D
Trades: 39
SU$: 1,486
Send a message via AIM to Brooose Send a message via MSN to Brooose Send a message via Yahoo to Brooose
Um, maybe, um....but at Best Buy, they give you the discount straight up so if you hate mail in rebates as I do, you, um, are 80 bucks ahead out the door.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:08 AM   #10
hike1751
Thumbs Up for BB Curve

Phone: BB Curve
SU$: 141
Your situation is out of the ordinary. I can tell you that I did an upgrade that I was eligible on Sprint site at Best Buy for a Centro, no problems, no SERO plan change. Great price, no rebate to submit, got the phone right away.
You might try to make your purchase at Best Buy, they will call Sprint,
if notes are in the account, it might fly. If you get charged activation fee,
request customer care to credit you when it shows up on your next bill.
At least you were made eligible for upgrade, if you end up dealing with
Sprint, you could ask if they will give you the rebate instantly, free
activation and shipping.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
C1787GJ
Telephone User

Phone: PALM PRE
SU$: 9,569
Send a message via AIM to C1787GJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkcrib View Post
Great, thanks for the info on SERO customers not needing a plan higher than $34.99. However, I checked my rebate status through that link above, and it says not eligible. I figured this would be the case, as my eligibility is based on a "code" in my account notes, not on my actual upgrade rebate date.

Is there a way to make this so Best Buy will see that I am (temporarily) eligible?
More than likely they will not be able to do your upgrade at Best Buy or RadioShack. You will have to go to a corporate sprint store to complete it. You could also try calling in your upgrade to Sprint and explaining the situation and seeing if they can match the lower prices you find somewhere else. Let us know how you make out regardless though and what ended up happening.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:53 PM   #12
punkcrib
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoof View Post
um.. the centro through sprint ends up being $99 after a $100 mail in rebate, so you'd be paying more at best buy by a hair.
OK this is what I was asking about earlier. HOW? This is what the sprint rep told me:

Phone is $399. I get a $150 discount for my 2 year (full) upgrade rebate. That makes the phone $249 for me. Even IF there was some other magical $100 discount, that would still only be $149. It is $119 at Best Buy.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems as if Best Buy is the cheapest. Sure, for a new customer through Sprint it is $99, but how would I get extra discounts as a current Customer?

THanks.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:51 PM   #13
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 14,690
399 - 150 instantly - 50 overlay instantly - 100 mail in rebate

that's how it is at a corporate store and if you do it online via sprint.com
Old 02-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
hyde
Telegraph User

SU$: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by hike1751 View Post
Your situation is out of the ordinary. I can tell you that I did an upgrade that I was eligible on Sprint site at Best Buy for a Centro, no problems, no SERO plan change. Great price, no rebate to submit, got the phone right away.
You might try to make your purchase at Best Buy, they will call Sprint,
if notes are in the account, it might fly. If you get charged activation fee,
request customer care to credit you when it shows up on your next bill.
At least you were made eligible for upgrade, if you end up dealing with
Sprint, you could ask if they will give you the rebate instantly, free
activation and shipping.
Has anyone pulled this off recently? Because that's pretty much what I'd like to do: keep my SERO 500 plan and get a Curve for $99 from Best Buy. I should mention that I'm over the 2-year mark and therefore out of contract, but I don't mind renewing. What do you think is the best course of action?
hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
hyde
Telegraph User

SU$: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Has anyone pulled this off recently? Because that's pretty much what I'd like to do: keep my SERO 500 plan and get a Curve for $99 from Best Buy. I should mention that I'm over the 2-year mark and therefore out of contract, but I don't mind renewing. What do you think is the best course of action?
Blah, gonna go try it. I'll report back on how it went.
hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Best Buy deals: Will I have to change my plan?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: