Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
phantomtech
Two Cans & String User

Phone: BB 8830
SU$: 61
IMSI_S number

I have an odd question. When setting up my BB 8830 World Edition, I was told to my cell number in the Mobile Directory Number, and to enter a different number in the IMSI_S number.

I was told that this is the number the network see my phone as. Just for kicks, I called the number that is set up as my IMSI_S number and it is another person's cell phone number.

So, my question is this. What is the IMSI_S number and shouldn't it be the same as my phone number?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray
phantomtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
somebody
Telegraph User

SU$: 133
On the BB 8830 the IMSI_S field is the same as the MSID field for most other devices.

MSID stands for Mobile Station Identifier and is the number that is assigned by the service provider to each of its customers. The MDN/MSID/ESN combination are transmitted by the phone for purposes of registration on the network.

Originally all MDN and MSID matched, but due to number portability, the two are more increasingly becoming unpaired. Nothing is wrong with it, it simply means that the number you have has been ported at least once in it's lifetime.
somebody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:50 AM   #3
Imajika
Rockin' the Sprint world!

Phone: Palm Centro
SU$: 5,041
Send a message via AIM to Imajika Send a message via MSN to Imajika Send a message via Yahoo to Imajika
Your phone number and the MSID don't always match. In fact, most of the phones I program DON'T have the same number and MSID now. We can also change the MSID during tech support functions so the MSID isn't a permanent number.
Imajika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
tarinmarlovi
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 22
Please Help!!!!

I have Storm2 9550

I was dialing ##000000 because I want to exchange my phone number from a different SIM CARD .
I did type my phone number in :
Mobile Directory Number: 310 XXX XXXX
and in the menu IMSI_S: I did change the number there for my cel phone 310 XXX XXXX
but now I dont get all my cell calls, Please help me How can I restore that configuration.

Thx!!!!
tarinmarlovi@hotmail.com
tarinmarlovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
Armand0
Telephone User

SU$: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarinmarlovi View Post
I have Storm2 9550

I was dialing ##000000 because I want to exchange my phone number from a different SIM CARD .
I did type my phone number in :
Mobile Directory Number: 310 XXX XXXX
and in the menu IMSI_S: I did change the number there for my cel phone 310 XXX XXXX
but now I dont get all my cell calls, Please help me How can I restore that configuration.

Thx!!!!
tarinmarlovi@hotmail.com

Call to Verizon in order to get the IMSI number
Armand0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > IMSI_S number

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: