Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Ezrem
Telegraph User

Phone: Treo 700p
Trades: 1
SU$: 65
Ring duration before going to voicemail?

I know T-Mobile can change it. I'm pretty sure Verizon and AT&T can change it.

I called Sprint and the tech I got claimed there's no way to increase the amount of time my phone rings before going to voicemail, other than "using a long ringtone instead of a short ringtone." I explained to him that I have no interest in having a long ridiculous ringtone, I just want more time to be able to walk to the next room where I left my phone, see who's calling, and answer (if I choose) before the call goes to voicemail. He was adamant that setting a longer (musical) ringtone would accomplish this.

Say whaaaaaaaaaa? How does the ringtone on my phone have anything to do with how long Sprint's towers tell my phone to ring for before transferring the caller to their voicemail system?

I have a Mogul and I already went in with my MSL and adjusted Slot Cycle Index (which makes the phone poll the towers a little faster and thus START ringing a little faster) but I would really just like my phone to ring longer, period.

Anyway, does anyone know if this is something Sprint can do for me and is just a matter of getting a different person at tech support?
Ezrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
ikandi

Mood: Mellow
Phone: White 4s
Trades: 22
My Mood: Mellow
SU$: 19,104
To my knowledge there is no way of changing the length of time your phone rings before going to voicemail, 30 seconds .... then to voicemail. Setting a longer ringtone won't make a difference because after 30 seconds the ringer will no longer play.
ikandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Dead_Rebel
Dead.... and a Rebel...

Phone: Samsung Finesse
SU$: 7,579
Yeah, there's no way to change how long your phone rings before going to voicemail. Odd, but that's how it is.

Appalachian Wireless FTW!
Dead_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Ezrem
Telegraph User

Man, if I weren't on SERO, I would switch providers over this. I can't believe they can't do something so simple.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
pixielee
smile and believe

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: BB Style
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 2,427
hmmm when i worked for sprint pcs all users had to do was call in and we could change the number of rings it takes for the voicemail to pick - - call and ask i am sure it can be done unless they just stopped doing it but i wouldnt think so
pixielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
Dead_Rebel
Dead.... and a Rebel...

Actually, alyxx, it used to be an option. I think you're referring to eSM, right? Used to in eSM you COULD change the ring #. You could also remove a calltone directly from there as well. Both options were removed sometime last year as I recall.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Imajika
Rockin' the Sprint world!

Phone: Palm Centro
SU$: 5,041
Send a message via AIM to Imajika Send a message via MSN to Imajika Send a message via Yahoo to Imajika
On a Sprint phone, the phone will ring for 23 seconds and then go to voicemail. There is no way to change it.

On a Nextel phone, it can be changed.

For a Sprint phone, different ringers change the number of times the caller hears a ring or the length of the ring tone before the call is forwarded to voicemail. During the 23 seconds the calling party might hear a different number of rings based on the chosen ringer. Changing the ringer can affect the number of rings the caller hears before the call goes to voicemail.
Imajika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
pixielee
smile and believe

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: BB Style
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 2,427
i am not sure what eSM is .. it was back in 2000-2001 that i worked there - we had to submit something, a ticket perhaps, and it was changed - but yeah i guess the bigger they got the easier it was to do away with something like that lol
pixielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
Ezrem
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imajika View Post
On a Sprint phone, the phone will ring for 23 seconds and then go to voicemail. There is no way to change it.
Man, 23 seconds, minus the 3-4 seconds it takes for the phone to START ringing...that's a pretty ridiculously small window.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
muley101
Two Cans & String User

Phone: rant
SU$: 5
ring time for rant

I uploaded a longer ring tone to my new Rant. It made no difference. Sprint needs to fix this. 23 seconds is rediculous. You only get about 15 seconds of actual ring time.
muley101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
w7excursion
Hit Boy

Phone: Blk N4 & Wht S4
Trades: 10
SU$: 116,505
Probably not going to happen.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
Dead_Rebel
Dead.... and a Rebel...

Holy year old thread, Batman! Made me realize how long it's been since I've been here, myself. Thanks, muley! :P

BTW if you can't get to your phone in 23 (or 15) seconds, that's what voice mail and text messages are for. Myself, I hate to let a phone ring for that long and nobody answer, so I hang up and try again later.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
AsItLies
Cordless Phone User

Phone: VE20 & Treo Pro
SU$: 16,243
Okay, 1 minor thing to add to this old thread...

Let's say someone is calling you 'don't' want to talk to, if your "answer mode" is set to press "talk", you can open the phone and press "end", that immediately sends the caller to voice mail.

Helps sometimes,
Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
Levi4u
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Mellow
Phone: HTC EVO
My Mood: Mellow
SU$: 2,942
On the Nextel side there is a SOC called Ringtone Extension, It works on Sprint if you switch from Nextel to Sprint but when it expires it can not be readded. Back last Sept they were working on getting it to work on Sprint but had troubles, I haven't heard if they ever got it fixed, I'll shoot an email and see if it got implemented yet.
Levi4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
w7excursion
Hit Boy

Phone: Blk N4 & Wht S4
Trades: 10
SU$: 116,505
I asked about it a few weeks ago and was told there was nothing they could do. I would like my phone to ring a bit longer, say 40 seconds.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: