Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 06-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #1
rush25
Telegraph User

Phone: EVO 4G
SU$: 1,719
These new plans are absolutely absurd. I don't know what to do now...

I'm completely enraged by Sprint and these stupid new plans. The plan restrictions are absolutely ridiculous.

I'm in the middle of my contract. I've been with Sprint for several years; my current line of service for 5 years (plus an additional 5 years on a shared plan with my sister). I need a new phone. Desperately need a new phone. As Sprint continues to have the most miserable selection of phones ever, I finally decided to get a Palm Centro. Not really exactly what I want, but my current phone situation is horrible and I can't stand it any longer. I went into my local Sprint store to buy the Palm Centro at retail price ($399.99) with no complaints. I'm sort of a phone junkie and can hardly get through a year with the same phone; I've purchased several Sprint phones at full retail price and have no problem doing so as I genuinely enjoy new phones.

And the problem begins. The sales rep asks me which plan I want to "upgrade" to. Basically she was asking me which Simply Everything plan I wanted. I told her that I didn't want to change my plan. She said that I would be unable to activate the Palm Centro without changing to a Simply Everything plan. I'm required to change my plan in order to get the Palm Centro, even though I'm in the middle of my 2-year contract? I reluctantly went along with it and let her show me my options.

450 minutes for $69.99 (Simply Everything) is the cheapest plan available for me and my weakly desired Palm Centro. I asked her why I'm required to change my plan to get the Centro. She responded that in order to get the most out of my Smartphone device, I absolutely needed Internet, GPS, Sprint TV, Sprint Music store...basically everything included in the former add-on data package. Excellent! Or so I (stupidly) thought to myself, because I already have a data pack on my plan. So I won't have to change my plan afterall....perhaps she overlooked the fact that I already have all of those services. Nope. Regardless of the fact that I already receive those data services, I still cannot use my current plan.

My current plan is 600 minutes, nights and weekends at 6pm, unlimited text and picture messages, and unlimited data pack thing (I forget what it's actually called) with Internet, GPS, and whatever else, for $45 per month. Sprint was having difficulties with my account for several months with huge (mistaken) billing charges and whatnot, so they've given me some services for free as retention offers. Why would I pay an extra $25 per month for services I already have? I don't understand what the hell Sprint is thinking in requiring these new plans. Unless they want to continue losing customers.

I politely declined the "upgraded" plan and the Centro and left the store. I don't really know what to do at this point. I might as well go to Verizon, which I've been wanting to do for a while because I like their phones much better than Sprint's (Samsung Glyde AND LG Voyager, hello!), even though their monthly rates are more expensive. Well at least that's what has stopped me in the past. But if Sprint is going to require that I change my plan when my contract expires next year, it won't make a difference. Verizon=pay for services I want plus a phone that I really want, or Sprint=stuck paying for a bunch of services I don't want with a phone I'm not so happy with. No brainer I suppose.

Is there any other option? Any other options at Sprint? I don't know why I'm sort of saddened by the idea of leaving Sprint. Sort of like the volitile relationship I have with my boyfriend. Sprint and I have been through so much together, several conflicts and screw-ups that we've always been able to resolve very peacefully, patiently, and respectfully. I just want Sprint to be amazing.

Okay....rant over.
rush25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
shamefulzero
Formerly known as Jstn-R

Phone: DINC
Trades: 5
SU$: 16,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush25 View Post
I'm completely enraged by Sprint and these stupid new plans. The plan restrictions are absolutely ridiculous.

I'm in the middle of my contract. I've been with Sprint for several years; my current line of service for 5 years (plus an additional 5 years on a shared plan with my sister). I need a new phone. Desperately need a new phone. As Sprint continues to have the most miserable selection of phones ever, I finally decided to get a Palm Centro. Not really exactly what I want, but my current phone situation is horrible and I can't stand it any longer. I went into my local Sprint store to buy the Palm Centro at retail price ($399.99) with no complaints. I'm sort of a phone junkie and can hardly get through a year with the same phone; I've purchased several Sprint phones at full retail price and have no problem doing so as I genuinely enjoy new phones.

And the problem begins. The sales rep asks me which plan I want to "upgrade" to. Basically she was asking me which Simply Everything plan I wanted. I told her that I didn't want to change my plan. She said that I would be unable to activate the Palm Centro without changing to a Simply Everything plan. I'm required to change my plan in order to get the Palm Centro, even though I'm in the middle of my 2-year contract? I reluctantly went along with it and let her show me my options.

450 minutes for $69.99 (Simply Everything) is the cheapest plan available for me and my weakly desired Palm Centro. I asked her why I'm required to change my plan to get the Centro. She responded that in order to get the most out of my Smartphone device, I absolutely needed Internet, GPS, Sprint TV, Sprint Music store...basically everything included in the former add-on data package. Excellent! Or so I (stupidly) thought to myself, because I already have a data pack on my plan. So I won't have to change my plan afterall....perhaps she overlooked the fact that I already have all of those services. Nope. Regardless of the fact that I already receive those data services, I still cannot use my current plan.

My current plan is 600 minutes, nights and weekends at 6pm, unlimited text and picture messages, and unlimited data pack thing (I forget what it's actually called) with Internet, GPS, and whatever else, for $45 per month. Sprint was having difficulties with my account for several months with huge (mistaken) billing charges and whatnot, so they've given me some services for free as retention offers. Why would I pay an extra $25 per month for services I already have? I don't understand what the hell Sprint is thinking in requiring these new plans. Unless they want to continue losing customers.

I politely declined the "upgraded" plan and the Centro and left the store. I don't really know what to do at this point. I might as well go to Verizon, which I've been wanting to do for a while because I like their phones much better than Sprint's (Samsung Glyde AND LG Voyager, hello!), even though their monthly rates are more expensive. Well at least that's what has stopped me in the past. But if Sprint is going to require that I change my plan when my contract expires next year, it won't make a difference. Verizon=pay for services I want plus a phone that I really want, or Sprint=stuck paying for a bunch of services I don't want with a phone I'm not so happy with. No brainer I suppose.

Is there any other option? Any other options at Sprint? I don't know why I'm sort of saddened by the idea of leaving Sprint. Sort of like the volitile relationship I have with my boyfriend. Sprint and I have been through so much together, several conflicts and screw-ups that we've always been able to resolve very peacefully, patiently, and respectfully. I just want Sprint to be amazing.

Okay....rant over.
WHOA whoa ...... whoa! im glad you didnt get rid of your plan! i believe u can upgrade (resign the same contract) in order to get your 150 discount. she was right in that the smart phone will require data pack, for your downloads, uploads, sprint tv. but if thats already on your plan then why switch? if you buy the phone full prise which i just read you actually want to do. you shouldnt even have to resign. i'd try ecare if i were you. tell them your phone you have now is crap, and your willing to pay full retail price. sounds like the rep u spoke to in person just wanted to get a sale.

btw i used ecare back in december of 06 and got what i wanted at a reasonable price. but sprint is improving and will be a great company in like 6months
shamefulzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 14,173
sounds like you ran into a pushy girl and wanted some extra change on her commission check.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
MISTRESS
Don't Make Me the Object of Your Insecurities

Mood: InLove
Phone: Palm
SU$: 5,698
Quote:

I don't understand what the hell Sprint is thinking in requiring these new plans. Unless they want to continue losing customers.

I don't know why I'm sort of saddened by the idea of leaving Sprint. Sort of like the volitile relationship I have with my boyfriend. Sprint and I have been through so much together, several conflicts and screw-ups that we've always been able to resolve very peacefully, patiently, and respectfully. I just want Sprint to be amazing.

Okay....rant over.

I second that emotion.
MISTRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #5
Ken_F
Telephone User

Phone: 9630
SU$: 779
Just buy the phone (or order it) and do an ESN swap at Sprintpcs.com. If they get pushy, just tell them you are buying the phone as a birthday present.
Ken_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:54 AM   #6
rush25
Telegraph User

I called Customer Service via *2. She offered me $175 off the retail price of the Palm Centro (making it $225) and confirmed that I would have to upgrade my plan to a Simply Everything plan to receive service on a Smartphone and that I could continue with my current plan if I purchase a non-Smartphone.

I'm just having a problem with the fact that Sprint is putting so many restrictions on their plans. I don't understand it. I know a lot of people who have Smartphone devices specifically for the querty keyboards for texting and don't want or need the Simply Everything plan. With Sprint, that's no longer an option. Same priniciple with the new Instinct. Why can't I spend a bundle of money on a cool phone, just to use it as a phone if that's what I so choose to do? Not that I want the Instinct, but I should have that option. If Sprint is going to make such hefty plan restrictions, then they need to offer better non-Smartphone devices. The Katana LX is just not going to cut it. The new Sprint: mostly PDAs plus stereotypical Nextel devices accented with a horrendous selection of *regular* phones. There is only one non-Smartphone device that I would consider getting, which is the Katana DLX. But luckily for me, the champagne is no longer offered online or in the store nearby. I know it's on its way out, but I've been waiting for a while for Sprint's new crop of phones, only to be sorely disappointed with the fact that there aren't any, besides the Curve, which I don't want.

I suppose I will try eCare. Or I'll try *2 again in a few days.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 14,173
they don't "have" to. they are trained to let you know about the newer plans.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
quenton cassidy
Telegraph User

Phone: a900
SU$: 208
There are something like 45 pages pf post about this same topic in the Instinct forum. Along the way someone mentioned that this is indeed the case with the Centro, don't ask me why though as I think it is absurd. From a technical standpoint some sprint employee was saying it had to do with the new Ensemble billing system and how it's code was written, blah blah blah, essentially saying that it is impossible to add a phone( like the Centro or Instinct) to a plan that is not one of the Everything plans, regardless if anyone, either in store or in retentions wants to or not. It simply can't be done.
quenton cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
INTERNET2000
Digital PCS User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Apple iPhone 4
SU$: 16,699
Since June 15th, Sprint is requiring users to have a data plan for a PDA. From everything I've read, the data needs to be inclusive in the plan (Everything Plan or Talk/Message/Data Share Plan) or the $30 Pro Pack needs to be added to a standard talk-only plan. Now that is for customers with other data plans or no data plan at all.

Now if you have a retention offering, I don't know how that would work, but it seems counterproductive to force a user off of a retention offering.

Last edited by INTERNET2000; 06-18-2008 at 07:38 PM.
INTERNET2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:38 PM   #10
sugarnova
Techie-Geek

Mood: Cold
Phone: Droid X
SU$: 3,908
It's ridiculous that you can't choose what you need in a plan anymore. If it weren't for SERO and my Centro, I'd have never gone with Sprint.
sugarnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
rush25
Telegraph User

I was told that I have to change my plan to activate the Centro, even without resigning/extending my contract today. The customer service rep told me that Sprint absolutely will not activate it without the inclusive data package.

This is so unbelieveably frustrating. I would be more hopeful if I knew of upcoming higher end non-PDA phones coming to Sprint. But no information to be found. This sucks. I don't know what to do.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
fishsung
FishTouch

Phone: NFSFAN WM 6.5
SU$: 1,392
I always say, try leaving. I wasn't at the end of my contract and I called and said I was leaving (which I actually was--I'm a sucker, I know). *poof* I was transferred to retention and got a great deal.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. --Thomas Jefferson
fishsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #13
squatchie16
Telegraph User

Phone: M520
SU$: 391
Sprint did a good thing is making the plan selection simplier, but perhaps a bad thing in the eyes of a consumer by making the options to simple. I dont understand why they cannot allow a customer already under contract to purchase a phone at full price and not retain whatever plan they have now.

I think i would call executive services and ask them to solve your issue.
squatchie16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
ndnguy85
Cordless Phone User

Phone: iPhone 3GS
SU$: 5,319
wait a minute.

you are telling me i have to get change my plan if i get a freaking centro!?!?!

what the crap can i use now? can i use my cordless phone? does that need a plan change too?
ndnguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #15
GoldenBlaze
Account Locked

Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 23,236
Quote:
I was told that I have to change my plan to activate the Centro, even without resigning/extending my contract today. The customer service rep told me that Sprint absolutely will not activate it without the inclusive data package.

This is so unbelieveably frustrating. I would be more hopeful if I knew of upcoming higher end non-PDA phones coming to Sprint. But no information to be found. This sucks. I don't know what to do.
I knew this was coming. Its just like AT&T and Verizon; you CANNOT get a PDA phone without the data plan. They tried to be slick and say that this would only be for the Instinct, well folks now you see that its ALL pda/powervision phones. I knew it was coming, like clockwork.

If I were you, I'd dump Sprint as soon as my contract ends and go to another provider. If you are made to purchase a PDA phone with a data plan, at least you'll have the option of a better device. All of Sprint devices have issues. I've YET to own one that didn't.
GoldenBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Rants, Debates, & Farewells - All Carriers > These new plans are absolutely absurd. I don't know what to do now...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: