Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
aviatorhi
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 178
Sprint in Alaska...

What's the word on reception and Data service in Alaska, from what I understand Alaska DigiTel operates a network there in cooperation with Sprint, is that a safe partnership or one at risk of collapsing. Anyone know if the Palm Centro operate on that network without any problems, and is it able to access the web on their DigiTel network or is it voice services only? Thanks for the info in advance.
aviatorhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
TvTech
Crackberry Addict

Phone: BB Curve
SU$: 6,312
I was in Alaska last summer for a week and my Sprint phone was on Roaming the whole time and I ALWAYS got full bars and excellent reception. It was never bad no matter where I went I always had maximum signal strength and voice quality.

As for data I can't help you out there. I guess it would have to depend on what Alaska DigiTel has for data services.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:26 AM   #3
bikerich69
Fancy Yellow....The Ice Of Choice:)

Phone: KATANA DLX
SU$: 24,030
If Roaming accounts for over 80% of the total minutes used, i think sprint would cancel the service. but one would have to investigate this to make sure.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:32 AM   #4
TvTech
Crackberry Addict

Phone: BB Curve
SU$: 6,312
Well I talked about 100 minutes in Alaska in 1 week and they didn't mind. If you are just on vacation for a week or 2 that won't account for even close to 80% of your total minutes.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
aviatorhi
Two Cans & String User

I'm moving, how does that bode?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
macuser09
Cordless Phone User

Phone: V950
SU$: 1,798
They probably won't let you out etf free. Just use the phone and if they cancel you then you can find a local carrier or work on a way to get verizon. Sprint doesn't seem to say much about roaming but that could also depend on the plan and if you are costing them money. Since Sprint and AK digitel have agreements in place they may not think a thing about it. Sprint is probably paying about the same to AK Digitel as they do iPCS or Nextech.
macuser09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
ealid
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Touch
SU$: 646
It totally depends on where you will be in the state. If you are in the major cities of Anchorage and Fairbanks and inbetween, you should be fine. However, the further you travel away from those areas, the spottier the service. I had reception over in Kenai and down into Homer. I was not able to use any data services anywhere, but texting was no problem. Now, it you are heading out to any of the islands, this is where you will probably have difficulty. Unalaska/Dutch Harbor does not support Sprint. It you had AT&T, they send you a text message when you get off the plane, but have to purchase minutes on their plan.
ealid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
aviatorhi
Two Cans & String User

I'm in it for a long haul in either Faibanks or Anchorage (I'm a pilot), so I'll frequently be going to Barrow, Bethel and every other place you can think of (even St. John Island), but the company has Iridiums for us and HF radios when we go there. I'm mainly worried about being able to keep my Blackberry data plan for purposes of when I go to Hawaii and the Mainland (will be happening at least once a month) and be reachable by my bosses. I prefer Sprint over the stuff available from ATT and the other local boys in AK. As long as Sprint doesn't cut me off. Also do I need to add any roaming plans to my phone or is it "tit for tat" with Alaska DigiTel?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
ealid
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Touch
SU$: 646
Have fun flying up there! Definately fly into Dutch if you have the opportunity, especially in the summer. Stop into Ace, they will probably refuel your plane anyway, and say HI to the girl at the counter for me!

As far as the islands, I can't help you out there. From what I have read and from what I have heard, the guy who started the service in Dutch (Alaska Wireless) has been setting up towers in the more remote locations like Adak and Attu and even St. Paul, but it doesn't show that on their website. (Their website is www.alaska-wireless.com). That should be able to give you some more information. I know for certain that my Sprint phone does not work on their system, but it still worked as an alarm clock!

As far as Barrow, I can't speak from experience. The project I worked on last year had people traveling to those areas. If I remember correctly, they were issued local numbers, but used their own phones, but I can not be certain on that. Good luck!
ealid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
kenaiguy
Two Cans & String User

Phone: A900
SU$: 11
I was in Anchorage in March 08 for 6 days. I also was in Anchorage for 5 days in December 07. I had access using my Sprint phone. Both times I made sure I had roaming service turned off. BUT, I was billed for my December visit for calls up there! I assumed with roaming turned off, I wouldn't be caught with roaming charges. I have yet to receive any roaming charges for my March use, but I'm wary at this time. I will be returning to Anchorage June 2nd 08. Any suggestions?
kenaiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #11
jessep28
That's Numberwang!

Mood: Amused
Phone: HTC EVO LTE
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 67,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by ealid View Post
Have fun flying up there! Definately fly into Dutch if you have the opportunity, especially in the summer. Stop into Ace, they will probably refuel your plane anyway, and say HI to the girl at the counter for me!

As far as the islands, I can't help you out there. From what I have read and from what I have heard, the guy who started the service in Dutch (Alaska Wireless) has been setting up towers in the more remote locations like Adak and Attu and even St. Paul, but it doesn't show that on their website. (Their website is www.alaska-wireless.com). That should be able to give you some more information. I know for certain that my Sprint phone does not work on their system, but it still worked as an alarm clock!

As far as Barrow, I can't speak from experience. The project I worked on last year had people traveling to those areas. If I remember correctly, they were issued local numbers, but used their own phones, but I can not be certain on that. Good luck!
Their website is copyright 2005, which could explain a lack of updates.
jessep28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
Marc320
Telephone User

Phone: iPhone5
SU$: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaiguy View Post
I was in Anchorage in March 08 for 6 days. I also was in Anchorage for 5 days in December 07. I had access using my Sprint phone. Both times I made sure I had roaming service turned off. BUT, I was billed for my December visit for calls up there! I assumed with roaming turned off, I wouldn't be caught with roaming charges. I have yet to receive any roaming charges for my March use, but I'm wary at this time. I will be returning to Anchorage June 2nd 08. Any suggestions?
I had the same thing but had them change the plan to free and clear and that fixed the problem.
Marc320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
MichelleN
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 76
Alaska is all roaming on the sprint map. I've had a few customers bring bills to me where they used over half roaming and sprint didn't cut their service off. They started charging roaming for every minute over half their allotted minutes.
MichelleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Sprint in Alaska...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: