Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
thesonofgray
Kowabunga Dude!

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
Trades: 4
SU$: 34,637
RIM FAQ: Do I Need a BlackBerry Data Plan? Answer Inside!

YES, you need a BB Data Plan...

If you want access to the features that make BlackBerrys so awesome and addictive, you need to purchase a BB Data Plan. If you are not willing to spend the extra money for a BB Data Plan, it is not recommended that you buy a BlackBerry.

This FAQ is an effort to answer the most common question asked in this forum: "Can I get a BB without a BB Data Plan?". If you are considering purchasing a BlackBerry without a corresponding BB Data Plan, please read this entire FAQ. If you still have questions unanswered, feel free to post them in this forum or contact Sprint.

What does a BB Data Plan get me?

See this FAQ (also located at the top of the BlackBerry Forum) for information and answers to common questions concerning BB Data Plans.

What does not work on a BB without a BB Data Plan?

First and foremost, push email does not work without a BB Data Plan. Second, internet access is extremely limited. The BlackBerry browser will not work, and OTA downloading is impossible. Also, applications that require anything other than a socket layer connection will not work. Most mobile applications require more than a socket layer connection and therefore will not work without a BB Data Plan.

If you have any issue understanding what will not work on a BB without a BB Data Plan, it is advised to forgo any attempt at using a BB without the proper data plan.

What works on a BB without a BB Data Plan?

Voice works (making and receiving calls). Text (SMS) messaging also works.

Are there any workarounds for the many limitations when you don't have a BB Data Plan?

The only workaround for internet access is the use of a 3rd party browser such as Opera Mini. Because OTA downloading is not functional, you must use the included computer software to transfer the program to the phone. Getting other programs to work is a trial & error process, and most won't work. Programs such as Google Maps, Sprint TV, Sprint Music Store, GPS, BlackBerry Maps, SprintNAV, etc. are not socket layer programs and will not work. Most IM programs, however, are socket layer programs and will work by transferring them from your computer via USB. Keep in mind that any working programs will use data, therefore a PowerVision plan is still necessary to avoid excessive data charges.

If you have any issue understanding how to implement the above workarounds on a BB without a BB Data Plan, it is advised to forgo any attempt at using a BB without the proper data plan.

Can the BB Data Plans be added and removed from my account whenever I please?

Yes, BB Data Plans can be added and removed without affecting your account contract terms. However, some Customer Care Reps are not willing to remove a BB Data Plan when a BlackBerry is on the account, and most store locations will not allow a BlackBerry to exist on an account without a proper BB Data Plan. Your best bet when trying to remove a BB Data Plan is through the My Sprint website or by calling *2 on your Sprint phone. You should have little trouble adding a BB Data Plan mid-contract to your account.

FYI: The Simply Everything Plan includes BlackBerry Data service and extra charges for basic BlackBerry use is not required with that plan. You're all set to use your new BlackBerry with the Simply Everything Plan! Click here for more information about the Simply Everything Plans.

---

*Thanks to stevestarr and everyone else who helped compile and confirm the information for this FAQ. If you would like to add to or modify the information in this FAQ, please send a private message to thesonofgray.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Staff Forum > Archived & Closed Forums > What Phone Should I Get? > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) > FAQ: Do I Need a BlackBerry Data Plan? Answer Inside!

Closed Thread