Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
cmbezln
The Omniscient

Phone: Palm Centro
SU$: 763
tell me why blackberries are good smartphones

i work for sprint, and i love smartphones of the palm and windows varieties....i'd say the mogul is probably my ideal phone.

there are a lot of people who swear by the blackberries, and to be frank....i just dont understand it. Not trying to flame here, but what could be so good about a phone with a slimmed-down OS and no touch-screen?

i mean, is there something the blackberries can do to justify the price tags? I'm really, seriously curious about this....as i haven't received a clear answer either way.....

i appreciate any feedback
cmbezln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #2

SU$: 0
stable
easy to use
push email with no hit to battery life
PIN messaging rocks, its like SMS but on crack (you can send images, i believe sounds, text etc directly and seamlessly to any BB user)
and the devices tend to be rugged and can take a beating (look at any user with an 8700 or 7100 series device, they tend to be beat to heck and still work great)
Old 03-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
phobium
Telephone User

SU$: 1,849
Mostly stability and battery life and reliability of the hardware.

How many times can you stomach dropping your Mogul on the ground? BBs can take a beating. There's also VERY little issues with them, compared to pretty much every other smartphone device in the market.

Battery life is excellent, and the batteries are of pretty good quality. Very small issues involving "battery won't hold a charge" kind of nuisance I deal with every day from most smartphone owners.

Most importantly, RIM is the only smartphone company besides Apple that makes their own hardware and software, which allow them to work in blissful harmony together. (Btw, HTC and some other company make phones for Palm).

Kind of in the same way Apple has that whole stigma of elitism, RIM does with their Blackberry products. Blackberry is kind of iconic, almost as much as an iPod, and it does make you feel warm and fuzzy inside owning a "Blackberry."
phobium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
cmbezln
The Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
stable
easy to use
push email with no hit to battery life
PIN messaging rocks, its like SMS but on crack (you can send images, i believe sounds, text etc directly and seamlessly to any BB user)
and the devices tend to be rugged and can take a beating (look at any user with an 8700 or 7100 series device, they tend to be beat to heck and still work great)
okay, well to rebuttal

easy to use and stable? why not buy a sanyo flip phone then.....1/3rd the money

a sanyo flip phone can also take a beating as well (so far what you're describing is the sanyo 7050)

PIN messaging...okay, but i cant justify to myself spending hundreds of dollars on a phone because of a messaging system, IMHO
Old 03-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
cmbezln
The Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobium View Post
Mostly stability and battery life and reliability of the hardware.

How many times can you stomach dropping your Mogul on the ground? BBs can take a beating. There's also VERY little issues with them, compared to pretty much every other smartphone device in the market.

Battery life is excellent, and the batteries are of pretty good quality. Very small issues involving "battery won't hold a charge" kind of nuisance I deal with every day from most smartphone owners.

Most importantly, RIM is the only smartphone company besides Apple that makes their own hardware and software, which allow them to work in blissful harmony together. (Btw, HTC and some other company make phones for Palm).

Kind of in the same way Apple has that whole stigma of elitism, RIM does with their Blackberry products. Blackberry is kind of iconic, almost as much as an iPod, and it does make you feel warm and fuzzy inside owning a "Blackberry."
battery life: okay, i'll give you that

durability: okay, but honestly if im buying a smartphone i would have no problem not dropping it and if i did i always have insurance anyway.

on the other side of the coin, it can be bad that RIM makes their own software because of limited compatibility (ex; apple OSX)

and from everything i gather, the last statement you made is kind of what the appeal seems to be with blackberries. they have iconic status....a lot of people buy them based on the name.

Blackberries seem to be a great phone for someone who needs the basic functions and display of a smartphone, but not all the bells and whistles
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
NINO63004
Put your Ad Here

Phone: Droid 2
Trades: 18
SU$: 20,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbezln View Post
okay, well to rebuttal

a sanyo flip phone can also take a beating as well (so far what you're describing is the sanyo 7050)

PIN messaging...okay, but i cant justify to myself spending hundreds of dollars on a phone because of a messaging system, IMHO
You can't compare a BB to a Sanyo. A sanyo does not have the same features/abilities a BB has.

Nino
NINO63004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 PM   #7

SU$: 0
Quote:
okay, well to rebuttal

i have a sanyo, 2 of them , mm9000 and m1, neither does push e-mail as well as the bb (sprint mobile e-mail is crap), neither has the easy to use/powerful interface of the BB, i can customize my BB to look how i want, with the sanyos im limited to the cruddy themes sprint offers, the sanyos dont offer the encryption and security of a blackberry either

plus in my case the 7050 doesnt offer a camera or expandable memory of the pearl ether

the m1 kinda compares but the pearls camera and expandable memory beat it. (the m1 has white balance issues, the pearl does not) and the 9000, it compares in memory but not in camera.

i use a pearl and mm9000 so i have both bases covered :-)

and i wouldnt really call a blackberry a smartphone, its more of a mobile communication tool, because none of my PALM or Winmo devices can compare to my pearl. as those are smartphones, they are pdas first, phones second message device 3rd, the blackberry (in current generation) is a tie between phone/message device for first, pda 2nd,

and a rebuttal to your rebuttal, the sanyo doesnt play well with OSX either. nor will a windows mobile pda/smartphone,

plus theres 1 more feature BBs have that a sanyo wouldn't, the ability to synchronize and backup with a pc, both contacts, and data

Last edited by BrettW; 03-27-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #8
Chrscott22
Cellular Phone User

Phone: EvoShift w/Root
SU$: 10,871
Quote:
Then what's your reasoning for saying a Mogul is your ideal phone as opposed to a Sanyo??

The BB gives you almost every single form of popular communication available. Phone, email, text, and instant messaging and it does each of those things extremely well. Not to mention a bunch of other 3rd party apps that allow you do a ton of other things. But it seems like you already have a predisposed opinion against the BB.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
cmbezln
The Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
i have a sanyo, 2 of them , mm9000 and m1, neither does push e-mail as well as the bb (sprint mobile e-mail is crap), neither has the easy to use/powerful interface of the BB, i can customize my BB to look how i want, with the sanyos im limited to the cruddy themes sprint offers, the sanyos dont offer the encryption and security of a blackberry either

plus in my case the 7050 doesnt offer a camera or expandable memory of the pearl ether

the m1 kinda compares but the pearls camera and expandable memory beat it. (the m1 has white balance issues, the pearl does not) and the 9000, it compares in memory but not in camera.

i use a pearl and mm9000 so i have both bases covered :-)

and i wouldnt really call a blackberry a smartphone, its more of a mobile communication tool, because none of my PALM or Winmo devices can compare to my pearl. as those are smartphones, they are pdas first, phones second message device 3rd, the blackberry (in current generation) is a tie between phone/message device for first, pda 2nd,

and a rebuttal to your rebuttal, the sanyo doesnt play well with OSX either. nor will a windows mobile pda/smartphone,

plus theres 1 more feature BBs have that a sanyo wouldn't, the ability to synchronize and backup with a pc, both contacts, and data
fair enough.....i guess i just got mad because i saw a bunch of blackberries listed in the "10 best smartphones" article i read today

and i completely agree with you, i dont consider them true smartphones
Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 AM   #10
cmbezln
The Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrscott22 View Post
Then what's your reasoning for saying a Mogul is your ideal phone as opposed to a Sanyo??

The BB gives you almost every single form of popular communication available. Phone, email, text, and instant messaging and it does each of those things extremely well. Not to mention a bunch of other 3rd party apps that allow you do a ton of other things. But it seems like you already have a predisposed opinion against the BB.
a mogul and a sanyo have nothing in common....the sanyo is a simple, realiable and durable phone....whereas the mogul is a complex, unreliable and completely undurable smartphone....

you might see those as bad, but you're going ot see the same quality in any computer-like device....the Mogul is a smartphone, there is thousands of different things and programs you can put on there....it's a windows operating system, so like a computer...it's complex and fun
Old 03-28-2008, 03:35 AM   #11
mradlauer
Telephone User

Trades: 1
SU$: 876
Ok...So I've had an M1, a Treo WM and now a Perl...

The M1 and the Treo didnt hold a candle to the Perl IMO.

For me its about usability...The WM platform is clunky and tries to be too much like a desktop. Its great that it syncs with outlook...whoo hoo...I get push from 3 different email accounts on my perl and its seemless.

One of the things I absolutely hated about my Treo and WM for that matter was that I could not manage my messages how I wanted to. Yes I know you get folders to keep things in, but I couldnt turn off alerts for JUST texts, or JUST emails etc...That may seem like a small thing, but its important to me to know just by hearing it wether its a text or an e-mail.

I will also agree with the others as far as stability and battery life goes...I actually get more bang for my buck...AND longer battery life than I did with my M1 and my Treo! Its actually cheaper for me too...

Reception and sound quality is awesome and I really like the "audio enhance" feature thats available during calls.

The media player on the BB is great also..very easy to organize and scroll thru songs.

The Desktop Application is great as well...It doesnt try to take over my PC. MS ridiculous sync application is probably the worst implimentation I've ever seen. I also like the backup capabilities and recently I've been syncing with my yahoo calendar and it works flawlessly.

I love the trackball..because of the work I do, I use a trackball mouse on my desktop, so navigating the Perl is like second nature....Suretype was a little wierd at first, but so was T9.

IMO the whole thing was very well a thought out design by BB...The Perl was never really meant to be corporate centric like the curve and the others. I view the Perl as more of a average consumer friendly phone, but with all the capabilities of the WM phones IF YOU WANT IT TO BE....

With the exception of MMS there is nothing my BB cant do, and do well...

Last edited by mradlauer; 03-28-2008 at 03:37 AM.
mradlauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
ElectricBoss
Telegraph User

Phone: Curve
SU$: 184
Let me start off here by pointing out that I am the "undisputed" resident idiot on smart phones. I find this thread, for my small mind, very informative. I love my flip phone but I feel as though the world is changing & I need to go to a Blackberry or something comparable. With the same line as you all have followed above could you also compare the Samsung M800. Thanks.
ElectricBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
islandgirl
Telegraph User

Phone: Touch Pro
SU$: 349
Send a message via AIM to islandgirl Send a message via Yahoo to islandgirl
Just changed from a Touch to a Pearl... I like everything except browsing the web. The web browser is SLOW!!
Old 04-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
spazticrecords
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Pearl 8130
SU$: 7,670
It's really the ultimate phone for all your needs + it's sleek.
spazticrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #15
lennyj17
Account Inactive

Phone: Curve
SU$: 15,782
Send a message via AIM to lennyj17 Send a message via MSN to lennyj17 Send a message via Yahoo to lennyj17
Quote:
i work for sprint, and i love smartphones of the palm and windows varieties....i'd say the mogul is probably my ideal phone.

there are a lot of people who swear by the blackberries, and to be frank....i just dont understand it. Not trying to flame here, but what could be so good about a phone with a slimmed-down OS and no touch-screen?

i mean, is there something the blackberries can do to justify the price tags? I'm really, seriously curious about this....as i haven't received a clear answer either way.....

i appreciate any feedback

As I have said many times before .... Blackberries are the Ultimate in Messaging regardless of the format e-mail, sms, im.

If messaging is your top priorty when shopping for phone; You want a Blackberry. Also the OS is Rock Solid. LOVE IT

The Phone - Browers - Pic/Video just complements a superior messaging machine.

Not to knock the Mogul or Touch, but WM has nothing on BB's when it comes to Messaging.
lennyj17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > RIM BlackBerry Phones > tell me why blackberries are good smartphones

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: