Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
BigLouie
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Breezy
Phone: iPhone 6 Gold
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 3,642
Is Sprint Doomed? Dying a Slow Death.

From the Wall Street Journal in a article about the possibility of Verizon buying Sprint. Personally I would like to see ATT buy Sprint.

"Sprint Nextel is doing so badly that people have to wonder about its true health. If Sprint Nextel’s condition gets so dire, regulators might be more willing to allow it to be acquired. But for now, Verizon is still feasting on Sprint customers — so many that Sprint expects to lose 1.2 million postpaid subscribers just in this coming quarter. Why buy the cow when you can have the milk for free?"

So what does everyone thing? Is Sprint doomed? Look at the facts. Losing about 1 million subscribers a quarter, out-dated or dull phones, falling share prices.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
SprintSALES
Account Inactive

Phone: Storm, Palm Pre
Trades: 3
SU$: 4,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouie View Post
From the Wall Street Journal in a article about the possibility of Verizon buying Sprint. Personally I would like to see ATT buy Sprint.

"Sprint Nextel is doing so badly that people have to wonder about its true health. If Sprint Nextel’s condition gets so dire, regulators might be more willing to allow it to be acquired. But for now, Verizon is still feasting on Sprint customers — so many that Sprint expects to lose 1.2 million postpaid subscribers just in this coming quarter. Why buy the cow when you can have the milk for free?"

So what does everyone thing? Is Sprint doomed? Look at the facts. Losing about 1 million subscribers a quarter, out-dated or dull phones, falling share prices.

First of all, im getting tired of people saying the phones are out dated. And on top of them not being out dated they have the fasted data transfer speeds.

ATT would never buy sprint, and even if there is a buyout it wont be buy another wireles provider. (my opinion of coarse)

This has been disccussed so many times, in about 87657 forums on here.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
+Eric
Pew Pew!

Phone: Pre & 8530
Trades: 2
SU$: 13,232
This subject has become so boring and redundant.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Exit24
Cordless Phone User

Phone: iPhone 5s
SU$: 6,648
Sprint prides itself on being digital and clear on CDMA, I don't think they would be bought out by AT&T and switched to GSM.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Rguy
Telegraph User

Phone: MOGUL
SU$: 476
53 million customers isnt doing bad.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
kulnet
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Treo Pro
Trades: 2
SU$: 30,960
I sure hope not. There is no way that another carrier could even begin to touch my plan.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
mkral
Telephone User

Phone: Moto Razr v3m
SU$: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
53 million customers isnt doing bad.
unless you had 54 million last quarter. This is a frequently debated topic, but the truth is that Sprint needs to turn things around fast. It's not entirely up to Hesse & friends to decide the fate of the company. The stock is being punished right now & likely will be even more so if things don't get better quickly. At some point, the stock will be cheap enough to cause a nother company to make a run at sprint.

I know that lots of people on here think the feds wouldn't allow a Sprint/Verizon merger, but that's not reality. The feds don't care if there is 1 CDMA carrier or 100. As long as there is competition in the marketplace, they are happy.

I am encouraged by some of the steps Sprint is taking, especially their Boost $35 unlimited plan in Hawaii. If that works, I hope they expand it nationwide. could really provide an edge for Sprint.

Let's hope time doesn't run out on Sprint.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
Complexity1022
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Centro
SU$: 551
lol sprint and out dated phones? nah honestly sprint has my fav phones aside prom verizons fllipshot, i mean look at the upstage, i wouldnt say thats out dated. id say sprints doin pretty good
Old 03-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #9
ericmn1
Touch Pro User

Phone: GS3
SU$: 1,018
Man has this topic been beaten to death a million times over! While its true Sprint is having some challenges right now they still have a healthy subscriber base (53+ million). They key is to start improving customer service and their overall public perception so they can stem the bleed off of customers.

As for AT&T or Verizon buying Sprint, its just not going to happen. The government would never allow it. If a private equity firm like the one that purchased ALLTEL wanted to buy Sprint that is a possibility but otherwise it is terribly unlikely that any of the other national carriers would be allowed to buy Sprint. Sprint can still turn things around they have alot of assets at there disposal so don't count them out just yet.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
refritos
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Kyocera Torque
SU$: 5,740
up for the challenge...

i wouldn't say sprint is doomed... they do have a huge challenge ahead of them, but i wouldn't count them out just yet.

the 2 main factors that knocked 'em down (but not out) were the less than graceful merger with nextel and continuing issues with customer service.

gary forsee and the sprint board let it happen...

at this point we'll pretty much just wait and see what happens... dan hesse seem well aware of the situation the company is in and appears prepared to take whatever action necessary to "turn the ship around."

sprint has a lot going for them, advanced network, and great prospects for being the first in the u.s. out with real 4g. it's just a matter of how the game plan is executed. there's no room for fumbling here. in the meantime i'm keeping my plan and enjoying the ride.

as for possible buy-outs... i don't see it happening. but perhaps sprint would be willing to consider some investments from some global partners... sk telecom? carlos slim?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
BigLouie
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Breezy
Phone: iPhone 6 Gold
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 3,642
Most of the posters in this thread are thinking and talking like true techies. There is ONE good statement.

Quote:
The stock is being punished right now & likely will be even more so if things don't get better quickly. At some point, the stock will be cheap enough to cause another company to make a run at sprint.
No matter what a bunch of techies think if the stock prices get low enough, Sprint is going to be bought out unless they can find a "White Knight" they can live with to buy them out.

Sprint is losing about a million customers a quarter. If that accelerates you can kiss Sprint good-bye
Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
harris
Cordless Phone User

Phone: LG-550 Fusic
SU$: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLouie View Post

With Hesse at the helm Sprint now has the direction it has needed for so long. Furthermore I doubt Sprint will be boughtout at least not by an American service provider like Verizon or AT&T primarily due to regulatory concerns; you see Verizon is CDMA and Sprint is CDMA this would create a monopoly and AT&T is already too big; congress and the FCC won't like it.

Having said that it is entirely possible that someone not currently in the US market may try to buy Sprint in order to get a foothold here. But that's also unlikely since they most certainly know that the US market is already saturated and therefore offers severely limited opportunities for growth.

There is at least one buy-out scenario that I consider to be plausible......GOOGLE may purchase sprint in order to gain access to the Spectrum Sprint has. Allowing them to create a Google network with Andriod devices.

Google has capital; they have dark fiber (unused fiber optic cables) and they are developing a mobile operating system. They might be interested in the spectrum that Sprint possesses and they are unlikely to face stiff regulatory opposition like Verizon and AT&T would most likely face if they attempted to buy Sprint. So a Google buyout is at least a possibility.

Last edited by harris; 03-04-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
mkral
Telephone User

Phone: Moto Razr v3m
SU$: 2,091
I'm curious as to why people think the feds wouldn't allow a Verizon/ Sprint hookup. the comments get made every single time that this topic comes up that the feds would block it because that would create a CDMA monopoly. I don't understand why anyone thinks that would be a roadblock. The feds have ZERO interest in which technology companies use. They would be concerned about a cell phone monopoly, but if you think that a CDMA monopoly would be grounds for blocking a sale, I'd like your reasons why you think that. (Not trying to be contentious, but the truth is that they just don't care), plus Verizon is leaving CDMA once their transition to LTE is complete, so the CDMA thing would resolve itself were it a concern.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
P11guy
resident car guy.

Phone: 755
SU$: 3,590
sprint will never die.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
TweetyBear
Telephone User

Phone: HTC6800(Mogul)
SU$: 612
long live sprint (i like their plans)
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Is Sprint Doomed? Dying a Slow Death.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: