Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
CaptainX
Sprint Advanced Tech Support

SU$: 1,165
Have A Problem? Tips From A Sprint Rep

Greetings.

Do you have a problem with your Sprint phone or account? Before you call in to customer service, read the following tips and please take them into consideration. They really will help you receive better service.

These tips come directly from a Sprint representative working in a call center.

1. Don't Yell, Scream, or Curse. When you call in, don't do this. It will NOT help you whatsoever. Remember, the rep is there to help you, and you're not going to convince him to go that extra mile by opening the call with a barrage of insults. I am willing to go a LOOOOONG way for a polite customer, especially a polite customer who is desperately trying to solve their issue. I can't work miracles (such as make your service free) but if you'll work with me, I WILL solve your problem, or find someone who can.

2. Don't call in on your cell phone if you have a problem with it. If you're having a problem with your phone, don't use it to call in. We're going to ask you to do multiple things on your phone, most of which can't be done while you're talking on it.

3. Have the time to get your problem fixed. When you call in, please have the time to get your problem fixed. We cannot fix anything in 30 seconds. It's just not humanly possible. I will work with you, and I'll do everything I can, but it takes 30 seconds to pull up your account and verify the PIN. Have the time.

4. If a representative is rude, report it. Just like any other company, there are people within the ranks of Sprint that do not like or care about the job. As much respect as I have for my fellow employees, people who do not care at all have no business in the Customer Service area of the company. If a representative is flat out rude to you, ask to speak to their supervisor. When the supervisor comes to the phone, DO NOT yell or scream at him/her. This will only make you look like the irate customer, and the supervisor will be unlikely to take you seriously. Calmly explain that you did not appreciate the rep's attitude, demeanor, or whatever, and it WILL be dealt with. PLEASE NOTE: Rudeness to customers is grounds for immediate termination. Don't report to a supervisor that a rep was rude if he wasn't. Calls are recorded, and they'll be able to tell before any action is taken.

5. Nothing is perfect - including our system. System outages happen. System maintenance is required. Accounts are being migrated to the new billing system. These are normal occurences in a modern technology environment. There will be times when we, as employees, will be unable to access your account. There is nothing we can do about this. Be patient and call back after the time frame that the rep tells you.

6. Be able to verify your account. New Federal regulations require better security on customer accounts. You MUST be able to verify the PIN number, passcode, or security question on your account for us to access it.

That's about it for now. If you follow these simple tips, I promise that you'll find Sprint's customer service a pleasant experience.

Please note that all opinions expressed in my posts are mine alone; they DO NOT represent the opinions of Sprint. I am NOT authorized as an official spokesman for Sprint. Any information posted is not guaranteed to be correct beyond the date it was posted. Please contact Sprint directly for any official answers to your questions.
CaptainX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
some18mybrain
Still Going Strong

Mood: Mellow
Phone: Galaxy SIII
Trades: 2
My Mood: Mellow
SU$: 29,551

Can we get a little adhesive maybe?? just a
Every smile that lights my face; Every teardrop, every trace; Every secret hidden place; Belongs to you. Everything that's good in me; All I'll ever hope to be; Every drop of every dream; Belongs to you.
Frank and Rebecca - Joined forever on May 16th, 2009
some18mybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
Romeo8Juliet
Live. Laugh. Love.

Trades: 1
SU$: 6,238
Great Post! Thanks for sharing!

Being within the CS Field myself, I am always amazed at how many people think yelling and screaming will get them further. It really does make any rep not want to go out of their way to assist you what so ever.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Account Deleted

Mood: Breezy
Phone: Evo3D
Trades: 13
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by some18mybrain View Post

But isn't there another post that says almost the EXACT same thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat03 View Post
I am an impatient hooker
Account Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
GrandWorks
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 18
this should be included in the first months bill...and on the contract...and on postcards sent out twice a year.
GrandWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:48 AM   #6
bikerich69
Fancy Yellow....The Ice Of Choice:)

Phone: KATANA DLX
SU$: 24,030
Where is my postcard. i will put it on my fridge
Old 02-29-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
CaptainX
Sprint Advanced Tech Support

SU$: 1,165
More Tips

Hey guys, thanks for the positive feedback.

I thought of a few more tips to share.

7. Your service does not have an on/off switch. Contrary to popular belief, it takes time for changes to your service to go into effect. Our network is spread across a very, very large area - it is not controlled from a central location with a big wall of 54 million on/off switches. Standard times for a change to take effect is 2 hours for voice features, and 4 hours for data features. Please don't call in 15 minutes after you made a change and tell me it's not working - there's no reason to assume it will be. Yes, sometimes changes are instant - but not always. Give it time. Call us back if it's not working after 4 hours.

8. We cannot do everything that you ask us to. When a customer makes a request, I will make every effort possible to fulfill it. That's my job. But there are certain things I cannot do. I cannot turn your phone on if you are past due - you must pay your balance, period. This is not a rude refusal on my part - the system WILL stop me in my tracks if I try to reactivate a phone with a past due balance. The system will also stop me from doing many other things, such as adding free services for a long term; changing or cancelling your contract; waiving the cancellation fee; and activating a phone you bought off of eBay that has a bad ESN. We just can't do it.

9. Power cycle your phone before calling in to tech support. A recent study showed that 96% of cell phone users never turn off their phones. Even though newer models are getting better at handling long periods of operation, a power cycle can do a world of good when a problem pops up. I estimate that 1 out of every 3 calls can be solved with a simple power cycle - saving you the time on hold waiting. To power cycle your phone properly, have it turned on. Take the back cover off and remove the battery (without turning the phone off first). Leave the battery out for 30 seconds. Hum The Star Spangled Banner to yourself - that's a good amount of time. Put the battery back in, and power on your phone. If the problem still occurs, give us a call and we'll be happy to help you.

10. The network has limitations, just like everything else. Our network, while a highly sophisticated piece of technology, has it's limitations. Your phone is not going to work 500 feet underwater. It is not going to work deep underground. It is not going to work at the top of Mt. Everest. You're out of luck if you happen to be on the space shuttle. That's just the way it is - for now. Don't call in and complain about bad service if you're off the network - I personally cannot do anything about that, and neither can any other rep. Now, if you're in the middle of a heavily covered city and you get bad service, call us and let us know so we can fill out a report. But be forwarned - unless it is an issue with your account or device, we cannot fix it right then. Have patience.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll reply with more when they come to mind.

Please note that all opinions expressed in my posts are mine alone; they DO NOT represent the opinions of Sprint. I am NOT authorized as an official spokesman for Sprint. Any information posted is not guaranteed to be correct beyond the date it was posted. Please contact Sprint directly for any official answers to your questions.
CaptainX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
knytphal
Bows down to the current Frogger champ!

Phone: HTC 8925 on Tmo
Trades: 4
SU$: 14,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by some18mybrain View Post

I agree, it's an excellent post and has some pretty good info (although I would hope that most of it is common sense, that would apparently not be the case it seems), even if this were to get some adhesive (love that phrase, by the way!) it wouldn't matter as people seem to blithely ignore and not read the stickies. Which is a shame, there's a lot of good info that's been stuck.

Anyhow, very good info CaptianX and please keep them coming as you think of them.
knytphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
mike068
Show No Fear

Phone: 9930 Bold
SU$: 4,664
Send a message via Yahoo to mike068
CaptainX
You seem like lucid and courteous person and have a very valid point it is much easer to be kind than not. So basically there is only a few of reps like you because 90% of the time you get someone that doesn't know there job or is rude and on occasion lies. Then where and to whom do I report rude & lying c/s reps.
mike068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
Wayne 1
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Sanyo
SU$: 18,654
Good tips OP, I especially agree with having some MANNER'S! Rude people should be disconnected! Being polite has worked for me!!!!
Wayne 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #11
kulnet
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Treo Pro
Trades: 2
SU$: 30,960
Thanks a lot for the tips. All good things to know.
kulnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
sasha8448
Telegraph User

Phone: VM4050
SU$: 247
Having been with Sprint for ~15 years, I've encountered my share of really knowledgeable, courteous, helpful, intelligent Sprint CS reps like this poster... my share is about 5.

Most of the people I have gotten over the years were courteous enough, and they wanted to be helpful, but they just didn't know enough to help me. They wanted to help but had been poorly trained and thrown out there (it seemed to me) without enough information. A few times I've been kicked up after a long, long wait and retelling my story several times, to a Level 2 rep who really knew his/her stuff. This is such a rare treat. I know they're out there. I just wish there were more of them.
sasha8448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
Wayne 1
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Sanyo
SU$: 18,654
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha8448 View Post
I know they're out there. I just wish there were more of them.

One can hope better training is (for the first time IMO) a TOP priority.
Wayne 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #14
bcaroo

Phone: Pre
Trades: 1
SU$: 10,178
I have gotten some really dedicated CSR with Sprint recently. I had one that stayed on the phone with me for over an hour while she called different departments to find the right person to correct a contract date that migration changed. It was a Saturday morning - I forget where she was located but it was in the States - maybe Kansas. She had only been with Sprint for 6 months - I made sure to compliment her dedication to her supervisor.

OP - thanks so much for posting this information.
bcaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
ANAPA
Telephone User

SU$: 1,205
Those suggestions make sense. You sound like someone who works the phones.
ANAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Rants, Debates, & Farewells - All Carriers > Have A Problem? Tips From A Sprint Rep

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: