Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
CreditCaller
Two Cans & String User

Phone: LG Muziq
SU$: 42
Data Blocking

I'm a new Subscriber and this is my first post, so be kind

I have 5 phones on my account and do not use or want to use data on any of my phones. I called sprint a few months ago and had data blocking added to all my phones. If I go online and look at my add-ons 4 of the phones shows (Block Pay-As-You-Go DataAccess) and the 1 phone shows (Disable NAI Functionality). None of the phones shows both, just one or the other.

Today I looked at my Current Usage online and one of my phones with the (Block Pay-As-You-Go DataAccess) on it, got charged with 112 used (Vision Data Home) mins. This is my phone and I'm old school, voice only - no txt, no vision, etc. How did I get charged for data usage when - 1.) I have data blocking activated. 2.) I don't use data at all?

Any solutions and/or answers would be greatly appreciated!
CreditCaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
stacerace
Sprint Technical Support

Phone: lg fusic
SU$: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditCaller View Post
I'm a new Subscriber and this is my first post, so be kind

I have 5 phones on my account and do not use or want to use data on any of my phones. I called sprint a few months ago and had data blocking added to all my phones. If I go online and look at my add-ons 4 of the phones shows (Block Pay-As-You-Go DataAccess) and the 1 phone shows (Disable NAI Functionality). None of the phones shows both, just one or the other.

Today I looked at my Current Usage online and one of my phones with the (Block Pay-As-You-Go DataAccess) on it, got charged with 112 used (Vision Data Home) mins. This is my phone and I'm old school, voice only - no txt, no vision, etc. How did I get charged for data usage when - 1.) I have data blocking activated. 2.) I don't use data at all?

Any solutions and/or answers would be greatly appreciated!
The data was used somehow. Sometimes when you play a game the web is accessed. Also, if you have wireless backup the web is constantly being accessed. You can tell you're on the web if you have the vision/power vision icon (green or orange arrows) flashing on your screen. Also, if you try to access the web and you don't get an error 67 or 1012, that means the web is probably not blocked on your account. Sometimes the csr will disable the vision username but that doesn't always block the web. It's supposed to but it really doesn't work 100% of the time. In fact, I'd say it only works about 25% of the time. Most reps are not aware of this fact. The only way to truly block the web is to cancel your username out completely. Call *2 and ask them to cancel your username on the phones and you should be ok from then on.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #3
Hagime
Telephone User

Phone: M1 & HTC Touch
Trades: 1
SU$: 3,430
Send a message via AIM to Hagime
And you shouldn't have to worry about that charge for the access. Sprint is really good about crediting that so you don't have to worry much. I hope they can make it so this doesn't happen again
Old 02-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #4
thecheet
Nothing to it but to do it

Phone: Evo 4g
Trades: 15
SU$: 11,205
Call and have them Disable NAI Functionality. This will keep you from being able to get online. WHen you attempt it will show an error message. Unsure about the charges. Call CS and explain your situation and they will be able to help you out.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
stacerace
Sprint Technical Support

Phone: lg fusic
SU$: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadfend View Post
Call and have them Disable NAI Functionality. This will keep you from being able to get online. WHen you attempt it will show an error message. Unsure about the charges. Call CS and explain your situation and they will be able to help you out.
That's what I was talking about in my previous post but you don't want to disable your nai (what I referred to as username so as not to confuse you with jargon) but you want to CANCEL your nai because the disable function DOES NOT WORK most of the time.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
CreditCaller
Two Cans & String User

Phone: LG Muziq
SU$: 42
Thank you for all your replies.

But I don't understand.

If I have on my phone (Block Pay-As-You-Go DataAccess) and I still got charged for data usage (somehow), what is it good for if it didn't block it to begin with?

My daughter has the phone with (Disable NAI Functionality). She is the only one that uses unlimited text messaging and was getting charged for data usage when her friends would send her a picture with the text messages. After I had the (Disable NAI Functionality) added to her phone she hasnít been charged for data usage since, so far!

Would it be advisable to add to all my phones - 1.) Cancel the Username. 2.) Add (Block Pay-As-You-Go DataAccess). 3.) Add (Disable NAI Functionality)? This would be like triple redundant protection?

Do you know of any other data blocking codes or terminology that are not mentioned above?

By the way, what does NAI Functionality do and stand for?

Thank you all for your help!
CreditCaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #7
Dragonman
SU Expert judge MAS 2011

Mood: Cool
Phone: Galaxy S II
Trades: 4
My Mood: Cool
SU$: 9,734
Send a message via Yahoo to Dragonman Send a message via Skype™ to Dragonman
See your thread in the meet and greet section.
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Data Blocking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: