Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
6700-blues
Telegraph User

Phone: PPC 6700
SU$: 693
Adding TEP to a REFURBISHED phone

I just purchased a phone from someone locally, & it was essentially brand new. It was factory refurb'd as of `12/07. I emailed eCare and they said they can't add TEP to a refurbished phone. Isn't that what I'd be receiving from them anyway, if they ever needed to replace it? I later called *2 and they added TEP with no problem. Just curious if the eCare rep was right, as I don't want to be stuck down the road with them not honoring it.

I'm trying to figure if TEP is worth it or not. Obviously if your phone model is obsolete and they replace you with a newer more expensive model, it ends up worth it but that all just depends on what they have in stock.

Take the Treo 700 for example....these are commonly on ebay for +/-$150. If you use it for a year and it breaks, you end up paying $7/mo x 12, + $50 replacement....then again, use it for a month and it breaks, you're in good shape. As the newer phones come out, buying used 700s (for example) will become cheaper and cheaper, so is it really worth it?

Guess it just saves the hassle of having to track down a phone and wait to receive it from someone who may or may not be reliable. I bought my last one from someone who listed locally on Craigs list, and that way I was able to see the ##786# info and call in to check the ESN before paying.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Striker911
Cellular Phone User

Phone: 8330
Trades: 8
SU$: 12,907
Tep is worth every penny and yes it can be added to a refurb phone
Striker911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
IncredibleLee
Say whaaaatttt?

Phone: BBerry 8703e
Trades: 4
SU$: 2,192
Send a message via Yahoo to IncredibleLee
It is definitely worth it for the more expensive PDA phones and btw, I never paid $50 for a replacement. I skip it for regular phones. I can replace them relatively cheaply.
IncredibleLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Total Equipment Protection > Adding TEP to a REFURBISHED phone

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: