Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Scudder
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Centro
SU$: 1,275
Sprint Mobile Email - how enter outgoing SMTP server info??

Hello all!

So I read suggestions about setting up POP email on my phone to work with my ISP: specifically, I contacted Sprint and a kind rep helped me confirm my username and password for use with smtp.sprintpcs.com's outgoing server.

The FIRST thing I did was set up a VersaMail account to test it, mail was sent no problem.

HOWEVER, I wanted to try the Sprint Mobile Email app as I have yahoo connected on that one and wanted to try that interface to see which email app I liked better.

I was able to get alllllll the way to the outgoing email setup....checked off "authenticate" and entered the Sprint smtp...but I CANNOT FIGURE OUT how to enter my SPRINT username and password necessary for the Sprint server!!!

Am I missing something?? With VersaMail, username and password lines popped up and I filled them in....NO PROBLEM. But with Sprint Mobile Email, it appears to default to my INCOMING ISP username and login. That ISP authentication obviously won't work on Sprint's outgoing SMTP authentication.

So, IS there a way to enter SPECIFIC username/password info for the OUTGOING Sprint SMTP server using Sprint Mobile Email??

Thanks!!

Scott
Scudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM   #2
mr_human
Telephone User

Phone: Galaxy S4
SU$: 1,153
Ditto. This is very annoying. In addition, I can't even find out how to _change_ settings on a pop account once one has been set up on the Mobile Email software. Any ideas? Any good alternate email apps out there?
mr_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Scudder
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Centro
SU$: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_human View Post
Ditto. This is very annoying. In addition, I can't even find out how to _change_ settings on a pop account once one has been set up on the Mobile Email software. Any ideas? Any good alternate email apps out there?
Ditto your ditto with the Mobile Email. You click on "Edit" and you can change ONLY the name...great, thanks. Real STUPID setup there.

What I've done is simple DELETE the account and enter info again. Great fix huh??

Scott
Scudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
mr_human
Telephone User

Phone: Galaxy S4
SU$: 1,153
Yep, and at this stage I can only retrieve my Earthlink email -- can't send any out (earthlink's servers don't seem to like it), and like the OP noted, one can't seem to add smtp username and password in the pop account setup, so so much for using Sprint's email servers. Sigh.
mr_human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
nojok3
Telegraph User

Phone: Bold 9650
SU$: 165
I'm in the same position.

I'm trying to use Sprint's Outgoing Server for my University IMAP account. There is no way to use Sprint's Outgoing Server that I know of, which greatly limits my email account to only addresses from the University's domain

And only way to change server settings is delete/new account. This program was never thought out well. I do have to say though Sprint Mobile E-Mail still pushes my email but at about 1/4 of the batter life that Chatter and Versamail were using.
nojok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
mike068
Show No Fear

Phone: 9930 Bold
SU$: 4,664
Send a message via Yahoo to mike068
I have used the sprint mobile email before and when I used it about 6 months ago and I found it to be very quirky I also had problems setting it up. One dumb question did you select pcs mail when setting up the app it use to be on the second page.

I do use my pcs mail on a regular basis here is the settings. In coming server and port < pop.sprintpcs.com / 110 > with no secure connection setting. Out going server and port < smtp.sprintpcs.com / 24 > with no secure connection setting just user name and password for authentication.
mike068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
nojok3
Telegraph User

Phone: Bold 9650
SU$: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike068 View Post
I have used the sprint mobile email before and when I used it about 6 months ago and I found it to be very quirky I also had problems setting it up. One dumb question did you select pcs mail when setting up the app it use to be on the second page.

I do use my pcs mail on a regular basis here is the settings. In coming server and port < pop.sprintpcs.com / 110 > with no secure connection setting. Out going server and port < smtp.sprintpcs.com / 24 > with no secure connection setting just user name and password for authentication.
The problem is we are trying to use the pcs outgoing server as our outgoing server for other accounts. It works in any other email program but Sprint apparently doesn't want people to use their outgoing server for non-PCS accounts.
nojok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
chimarathonx5
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 40
I guess I'll add one more ditto. No sendmail for me but, versa mail works just great. I am also having the added problem of not being able to use encryption with POP. If I have the "use ssl" box check authentication fails. if I remove the check box without changing anything else, I am able to authenticate. I do not feel too comfortable sending out my corporate e-mail un-encrypted. Is anything built into the way the app pushes or send the info?

Versa lets me use my own pop and smtp servers while using encryption for both. I just do not have the push option.

I should note that under versa mail I am NOT using sprint smtp servers. I am using my own POP and SMTP server. I read that spring requires you to use their smtp (smtp.sprintpcs.com). Under versa mail I am using pop.mydomain.com and smtp.mydomain.com. Send and receive both work while using encryption

What gives? Should we use sprint smtp or or own. Is it specific to the application?

Last edited by chimarathonx5; 03-26-2008 at 11:31 AM.
chimarathonx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
mike068
Show No Fear

Phone: 9930 Bold
SU$: 4,664
Send a message via Yahoo to mike068
Versa mail is using your main isp mail account for checking and sending mail, ssl and encryption work because it sending mail via your main isp mail account and most likely adding the return address of your pcs mail. I have tried to set up the security settings on my pcs mail but only found that after discussing this with tech support the pcs mail does not support ssl & tls settings and I have found that encryption is quirky. Basically pcs mail is not as secure as some other mail service providers like some isp mail account or gmail & yahoo mail. So basically if you have to email information of national security (lol) use a different mail provider like web based free one I.E. gmail or yahoo.
mike068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #10
the_old_marine
Two Cans & String User

Phone: MOTO Q
SU$: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_human View Post
Yep, and at this stage I can only retrieve my Earthlink email -- can't send any out (earthlink's servers don't seem to like it), and like the OP noted, one can't seem to add smtp username and password in the pop account setup, so so much for using Sprint's email servers. Sigh.
I missed seeing a reference to MOTO Q being used as a modem related to these problems with SMTP. Also I use Thunderbird which may be adding a twist. I've reviewed the posts and tried to get help from my ISP. I still cannot send e-mail via Thunderbird (the relay problem). I can receive fine. Anyone have a similar problem (preferably someone with a solution)? Yes I use smtp.sprintpcs.com.
t.o.m.

Last edited by the_old_marine; 04-04-2008 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling
the_old_marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
dweems4
Two Cans & String User

Phone: HTC touch
SU$: 25
Entering username and password for Sprint outgoing server

I never reply to these posts, but I just had to help you out because I was having the same problem. Took me 2 days to figure it out. In the end, I got the answer from Sprint and felt really stupid that I couldn't figure it out myself. Sprint's phones should automatically default to their outgoing server to prevent this problem.

You were doing everything correctly, except that you should not check off the "Outgoing Server Requires authentication" box. That box needs to be checked. The "Use the same user name and password" box should not be checked.

After you enter the outgoing sprint server and check the authentication box, you will go to another screen that is for entering your sprint username and password. That box needs to be checked in order for it to ask you for the information.

1) For the Outgoing Server, enter smtp.sprintpcs.com

2) Check the box labeled Outgoing server requires authentication.

3) Uncheck the box labeled Use the same user name for outgoing server.

4) Click on next and go to the outgoing server username and password screen

5) For User name enter the Power Vision Username and password. Not the same as your sign in username and password to log onto sprint. It is the username and password for your Sprint mail.

6) Finish the other steps and you are done!
dweems4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 AM   #12
the_old_marine
Two Cans & String User

Phone: MOTO Q
SU$: 22
Many thanks! After two days of trying to get help from Sprint and posting the question here, I went to a Sprint store & talked with an employee who actually knew enough to get a tech. rep. on the line with us and fix my userid/password. This was probably being done as you were composing your reply. Your reply is much appreciated! Before making the connection with this employee, every other employee failed to qualify for the job. Next time, I will come here first.

Your reply is no less valuable because someone else came to my rescue also. Again, many thanks!
t.o.m.
the_old_marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
ahfrederick
SU 4 Life!

Phone: A9292 x2
Trades: 1
SU$: 37,652
Send a message via AIM to ahfrederick Send a message via MSN to ahfrederick
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweems4 View Post
I never reply to these posts, but I just had to help you out because I was having the same problem. Took me 2 days to figure it out. In the end, I got the answer from Sprint and felt really stupid that I couldn't figure it out myself. Sprint's phones should automatically default to their outgoing server to prevent this problem.

You were doing everything correctly, except that you should not check off the "Outgoing Server Requires authentication" box. That box needs to be checked. The "Use the same user name and password" box should not be checked.

After you enter the outgoing sprint server and check the authentication box, you will go to another screen that is for entering your sprint username and password. That box needs to be checked in order for it to ask you for the information.

5) For User name enter the Power Vision Username and password. Not the same as your sign in username and password to log onto sprint. It is the username and password for your Sprint mail.

Nice "How To"! And thanks for the info! Kudos for that!

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ahfrederick
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ahfrederick
If I have helped you in any way, please don't forget to click the button below!
ahfrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
josh137
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 4
smtp for sms

if i can receive texts at phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com what is the smtp for that ?
if anyone knows the answer please help
josh137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
heath657
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 10

heath657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Network & Data Quality /Airave & Related Services > Sprint Mobile Email - how enter outgoing SMTP server info??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: