Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
budwest
Telephone User

Phone: Kyo DuraXT
SU$: 0
No Cash At Compusa?????

I was in Boise yesterday and saw that CompUSA was closing out and shuttering their doors.

So I went in and decided since it a lot of it was 40% off, I would get a few new things. Now the computers were only 10% and the iPods 15% but still it's been a long time since I had any new "toys" maybe I should treat myself.

Picked out a nice iMac, an iPod, a printer and some misc. accessories, cables, some software, etc. etc. I load all this up and take it to the checkout.... they ring it all out, give me the total and I reach for my wallet.

I start counting out hundred dollar bills and the clerk goes nuts! "Sir, we don't accept cash for this kind of purchase! You must use a credit card!" she says at the top of her lungs. (I see her also hit a button on the phone at the same time.)

Instantly a man shows up, clearly the manager from his nametag and the rent-a-cop security guy. Both tell me the same thing, "NO CASH! You have to pay with a credit card!"

Well enough is enough, I plead my case but it falls on deaf ears and a few customers that have gathered around to see what all the fuss is. Needless to say, I do not prevail in my efforts to get them to take cash. I leave the store all my items stacked on the counter.

I call CompUSA corporate and am told by an assistant to an executive that because it is a ”liquidation" each store or manager can set his or her own rules.

Well, that's just stupid, IMO. Cash is legal tender for all debts, public and private, says so on all our bills the last time I looked.

Sorry this is so long I just wanted to vent!

Happy Trails!

John Bernard Books portrayed by John "The Duke" Wayne
Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
+Eric
Pew Pew!

Phone: Pre & 8530
Trades: 2
SU$: 13,232
It's interesting to say the least. Actually it's nearly flat out stupid, however seems like the manager doesn't want to deal with the hassle of cash and he's sticking to it.

The huge fuss is almost laughable. I mean, put up a sign, explain it nicely to the customer. Getting all worked up over it is just silly. Oh well, they're gone anyway.

EDIT: Oh and I think the legal tender part just means that is legal to use for debts public and private in the US. There was a time when paper money would not be acceptable... In other words you're *allowed to use it* to settle debts, it's not against the law for someone not to accept it to to settle any debts, however silly their logic or reasoning may be.

Last edited by +Eric; 01-17-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #3
chilidogtampa
Ericas daddy

Phone: TouchPRO2!!!
Trades: 4
SU$: 15,271
if you want to have some fun make sure Dave Ramsey hears about it....

http://www.daveramsey.com/

but im sure they would take a debit card... it is still weird.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
PrincessPixie
It's still PixieDrea. I'm still a dork.

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 7
SU$: 8,038
Sadly, the manager must be quite lazy. It does take longer to count down the cash at the end of the day.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #5
+Eric
Pew Pew!

Yeah, Dave Ramsey would love it...

And also I agree it probably comes down to laziness of not wanting to count the money at the end of the day. Makes it so he goes home quicker. I guess in a way, I can't blame him, I mean he just lost his job and that sucks. Why go out of your way for a company that's about to boot you out the door...... At the same time though I can't see doing that to customers.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
thesonofgray
Kowabunga Dude!

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
SU$: 34,637
Actually I think this is similar to why Apple stopped taking cash for the iPhone when it first came out. I think it has something to do with reselling it on eBay or something and how making someone pay with plastic discourages that. Since you bought some Apple products on sale (that usually are never on sale), maybe there's similar reasoning behind not taking cash.

It's funny that they freak out so much. I'm sure all the employees are a little on-edge since they are losing their jobs in the near future.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
rennyn
Lets get some shoes!

Phone: iPhone, U727
Trades: 3
SU$: 4,285
Send a message via AIM to rennyn
That's still pretty crazy though that they freaked out so much. What the hell?

OMGZ SOMEONE IZ PAYING CASH! *PRESSES PANIC BUTTON* SEND HALP
But it takes religion to make good people do evil things.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
Freak4Dell
Account Locked

Phone: Samsung M920
SU$: 0
Send a message via AIM to Freak4Dell
Wow...so instead of taking cash, they'd rather just pay the merchant's fee to the card companies? I suppose it doesn't really matter, since they're all losing their jobs soon anyway, but still. I've heard of places ONLY taking cash, but never heard of a place that WON'T take cash. Well, okay, once I have, but that was because they couldn't make change, and by the middle of the day, they started taking it again.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
RogerApocalypse
Account Locked

SU$: 153
It makes sense. If the store is closing they don't want to tempt someone walking out the door with the receipts.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #10
+Eric
Pew Pew!

I think some of you may be reading too much into it, comparing it to apple or any other complicated scenario.

The OP said someone he talked to at corporate said it was up to the store manager to decide. I think he's being lazy, not wanting to count cash at the end of the day.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #11
DaRtH CrAtHeN
Welcome to the Dark Side

Phone: IPhone
Trades: 6
SU$: 9,135
I was in CompUSA the other day and paid cash for my merchandise. I think that's very strange to give Managers free reign over what happens in their store since it's closing. But then again maybe that's why they're going under.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
thesonofgray
Kowabunga Dude!

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
SU$: 34,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by +Eric View Post
I think some of you may be reading too much into it, comparing it to apple or any other complicated scenario.

The OP said someone he talked to at corporate said it was up to the store manager to decide. I think he's being lazy, not wanting to count cash at the end of the day.
Some random customer service rep on the phone saying "it's up to the store manager" is just an easy way of passing the buck. I'm almost positive the CompUSA corporate management team set some ground rules for their store-closing sale and this might just be one of them. It probably just had to do with what the OP was buying.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
DaRtH CrAtHeN
Welcome to the Dark Side

Phone: IPhone
Trades: 6
SU$: 9,135
This sounds similar to when the Apple stores wouldn't let you buy an IPhone with cash. I think they did away with it though because so many people complained. But with CompUSA since they're going out of business I'm sure they could care less.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
mjohns2
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Sanyo 5500
SU$: 2,412
The only thing I can think of is CompUSA doesnt want to pay to have the armor trucks service and would rather deal with CC merchant fees.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
PrincessPixie
It's still PixieDrea. I'm still a dork.

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 7
SU$: 8,038
I've got personal experience being a manager of a store that was closing. I'll bet that he just doesn't want to count down cash at the end of the day. They don't care what you do with your merchandise after you pay for it.

Closed Thread