Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
ChiefDartz
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Blade
SU$: 60
Making calls on a deactivated phone?

I know you can call 911 on a deactivated phone.

What happens if you try to call another number? I've heard some companies connect you to an operator who will let you make the call with a credit card at a high rate. Others supposedly only let you make collect calls or no calls at all. Anyone know how sprint phones handle calls made on a deactivated handset?
ChiefDartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Ronkh
Evil Kraut driving mod

Mood: Menopausal
Phone: EVO, Tour
Trades: 1
My Mood: Menopausal
SU$: 42,558
Send a message via AIM to Ronkh
Sprint say "Your account cannot be validated, call customer service"
Ronkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
ChiefDartz
Two Cans & String User

Okay, so then if I call CS from the deactivated phone, will they let me make a call with a credit card, or would they let me activate the phone to make a call if I have a sprint account on another phone?
Old 12-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
If you want to make calls with a credit card, you will probably have to switch to "roaming only" on the phone and use the Americas roaming network.

Honestly, with the rates these companies charge per minute, your better off getting an emergency prepaid phone than using a credit card. I heard that they can charge well over a dollar a minute for the roaming calls ($2-3 a minute I heard once) so it can add up, and fast!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
ChiefDartz
Two Cans & String User

That bit about switching to roaming is a great idea and sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I know you can turn off roaming, but I never seen anything about roaming only options.

The second part is probably a good solution for many people, but...

1. I already own a phone that I want to deactivate, and only use for emergencies such as a tow or something. Buying a prepaid phone, can be cheap, but it doesn't beat essentially free.

2. The other problem with the prepaids as I see it, is their minutes expire. I anticipate only needing to make a call once a year at most. Even if they do charge ridiculous per minute rates, it's still going to be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Thanks a lot for the responses, any more ideas would be much appreciated. I will look into roaming only mode at this point though.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
ChiefDartz
Two Cans & String User

Switching to roaming only sounds like the answer I have been looking for. Awesome!

I realize for most people a prepaid phone might be a good choice but it's not for me in this situation for a couple reasons.

1. I already own the phone that I want to use for this purpose. Prepaid phones are somewhat cheap, but not as cheap as essentially free.

2. Prepaid minutes from most companies expire, and I anticipate using this phone once a year at most. Whatever terrible rate I would get from Americas network for instance, is still going to be cheaper in the long run.

So, how would that work then? I set the phone to roaming only, do I just try to make a call and it will connect me to the Americas network operator?

Thanks for the great answer btw, and I hope this helps someone else too!
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Making calls on a deactivated phone?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: